E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Dunlop Thumpflats a Significant Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I've put about 500 miles on my new Dunlop RFTs and I can't get over the difference in handling, comfort and even steering effort. Admittedlly, mine were early models and were most worn on the front (right), but I am astounded at the difference in the new ones. Also, FWIW, I was running my old ones at dealer-set "minimum recommended PSI" so that improved some of the first harshness.

I assume these are set at the standard PSI, and while they are firm , they are no where near the harshness of my old ones when new. I hope they last a bit longer this time (about 8k on originals before I couldn't take the noise and steering vibration any longer).

Anyone else find this dramatic improvement?

Ray Hull
Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I just got a new set of Dunlop RFT"s last week because of noise problems. I had 245/40R 18 93 W this time they gave me 245/40R 18 93Y. My other set didn't realy get noisey till about 14,000 miles. I hope your findings are right on.
I only have about 50 + miles so I couldn't tell to much other than they aren't noisy like the old ones. I'm running with 36 psi front and 44psi rear. I had very good wear out of the old ones at that pressure. Good luck with yours.
cheers
vern
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='332107' date='Sep 7 2006, 09:37 PM
I've put about 500 miles on my new Dunlop RFTs and I can't get over the difference in handling, comfort and even steering effort. Admittedlly, mine were early models and were most worn on the front (right), but I am astounded at the difference in the new ones. Also, FWIW, I was running my old ones at dealer-set "minimum recommended PSI" so that improved some of the first harshness.

I assume these are set at the standard PSI, and while they are firm , they are no where near the harshness of my old ones when new. I hope they last a bit longer this time (about 8k on originals before I couldn't take the noise and steering vibration any longer).

Ray Hull

When I got my 550 (build 06/06) last month I was unpleasantly surprised that the car came with Dunlop RFTs. I was under the impression that BMW stopped putting Dunlops on 5-series cars long time ago (even my 2005 545 had Bridgestones) and did not bother checking tires at delivery. Anyway, so far (950 miles) Dunlops seem to be much softer (hate it) and more quiet (like it) than Bridgestones were. They do thump, but all high performance tires do it. Finally today I went around a sharp corner as fast as I`ve ever done in my 545 and Dunlops took it well (big surprise). I had to bump the pressure to 38F/40R psi though and they still feel to soft to me.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='332107' date='Sep 7 2006, 08:37 PM

Ray Hull
I think the verdict is still out on the Dunlop RFTs. Mine is getting switched out at 7100 miles because of road noise. Their great on corners and I don't mind the stiffer ride.

Anyone with about 5000+ miles on the new Dunlop RFTs? 500 miles is still to new to conclude.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='332107' date='Sep 8 2006, 02:37 AM
I think you'll find they will degrade and annoy you again... I remember my first Dunlops seemed fine at first...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 550i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Spoiler, Tints, NAV, AUX Input, Type 37 M Parallel Rims, Rear Euro Reflectors

I've had my new Dunflops about a week now and I think/feel they are siginificantly better.

Almost 0 tramlining, which I remember the original set was really bad even from the beginning.

So much quieter, so much smoother, however my comparison point is probably suspect because the last set had 15k miles on them and were horrible.

At the very least, I got a free set of tires (~$1200) at 15k miles!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

So while we are the subject of run flats. I have 6k miles on my Potenza run-flats and was thinking they should be rotated. Do most people roatate their tires every 6k miles? I normally do so with regular tires but this is the first time I've had run flats.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Members

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but of course they feel better - they're new tires (compared to your old noisy ones), they're freshly balanced, etc. I went though two sets of Dunlops and I actually liked them alot when they were new. The problems occur after they have some wear on them. Doesn't sound to me like they've changed anything on the Dunlops.

My third set of tires were 'Brickstones' - couldn't stand those from the start and replaced them with Mich PS2s (non runflats, and at my expense). I've been happy ever since.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

Do you rotate your thumpflats at 6K intervals?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by D Eazy' post='332449' date='Sep 8 2006, 04:32 PM
Do you rotate your thumpflats at 6K intervals?
There is no way to rotate sport model tires; the sizes are different F/B. I used to rotate the Michelins on my 540iS though; lasted at least 40K (until traded).

Ray Hull

Quick Reply: New Dunlop Thumpflats a Significant Improvement