E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new clutch issue on my 545i...need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, need your advice please. Had to have my clutch replaced by my local BMW dealer on my '05 545i about 6 weeks ago (1,500 miles or so). Immediately I noticed that the clutch wasn't as smooth as my old one. The issue is that there's a flat spot/pop in the clutch right at the point where it grabs, especially noticable from 2nd-3rd gear...but there in all gears, especially when downshifting. It's difficult if not impossible to drive smoothly since there's always the mind jerky motion when it engages. It's dificult to explain. My stock clutch was smooth, like on my M3. Brought it back to the dealer, went out with a tech and he agreed it wasn't normal but should go away after ~1,000 miles. Left car there for service manager to drive. BTW, tech said he'd push for a full replacement. Service manager drives it and says all is ok. Now, ~1500 miles later it's the same and I'm not happy, especially since it cost $3,300+ to replace. What do you recommend I do? Do I insist on having it replaced? Again, it's not normal and no 5 series there with a stick would behave the same way. I've spent a lot of money at this place and have both my 545 and M3 serviced there.....we're kind of on a first name basis. Help!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd make sure they fix it on there dime. You paid a lot of money and brought it to there attention earlier and they didn't want to deal with it.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Out of curiosity, why did you have it replaced in the first place? I have 85k on my clutch and all seems well. Can't say I'm excited to hear that it cost 3,300 to replace! When is it advised to be swapped out?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Members

Before buying my 2004 545i last year with 80,000 km (50,000 miles) I insisted they replace the clutch (they also replaced the flywheel). One thing you describe, however, sounds like a common problem with manual 5 series---- the slow, jerky grabbing of the clutch right at the engagement point. Found out thru this forum that a special "feature" called a Clutch Delay Valve is the likely culprit. The CDV slows the engagement, ie. overrides your controlling foot for a "smoother" engagement (NOT). Do some searches here and you'll find out more.

Good news is that a custom CDV valve is available from Zeckhausen Racing to replace the the BMW part, which magically improves the clutch engagement. You can read more details on their site, just dig down to the bottom of their BMW E60 section. I plan to get one, as this should be a low-cost solution to making this much more of an "ultimate driving machine".

Other threads have supported that this is a worthwhile mod.

check out www.zeckhausenracing.com
good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='892246' date='May 27 2009, 08:27 PM
Out of curiosity, why did you have it replaced in the first place? I have 85k on my clutch and all seems well. Can't say I'm excited to hear that it cost 3,300 to replace! When is it advised to be swapped out?
Good point, I bought the car used with 17K, no idea how or where the prev owner drove. My wife drives it most of the time (enough said ..seriosly, no idea why it went. I suspect it's the prev. driver as I too have taken clutches well over 100k.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by timmer' post='892274' date='May 27 2009, 08:41 PM
Before buying my 2004 545i last year with 80,000 km (50,000 miles) I insisted they replace the clutch (they also replaced the flywheel). One thing you describe, however, sounds like a common problem with manual 5 series---- the slow, jerky grabbing of the clutch right at the engagement point. Found out thru this forum that a special "feature" called a Clutch Delay Valve is the likely culprit. The CDV slows the engagement, ie. overrides your controlling foot for a "smoother" engagement (NOT). Do some searches here and you'll find out more.

Good news is that a custom CDV valve is available from Zeckhausen Racing to replace the the BMW part, which magically improves the clutch engagement. You can read more details on their site, just dig down to the bottom of their BMW E60 section. I plan to get one, as this should be a low-cost solution to making this much more of an "ultimate driving machine".

Other threads have supported that this is a worthwhile mod.

check out www.zeckhausenracing.com
good luck.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, this is great help!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='892995' date='May 28 2009, 12:03 PM
Good point, I bought the car used with 17K, no idea how or where the prev owner drove. My wife drives it most of the time (enough said ..seriosly, no idea why it went. I suspect it's the prev. driver as I too have taken clutches well over 100k.
So how many miles were on the car when the clutch was replaced? I have 11 months of warranty left and 60,000 miles. What do I need to do to get a new clutch now....
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

I only have driven manual transmissions for the past 34 years (never learned how to drive an automatic...) and have 3 right now. I've never had a clutch go with less than 75k including BMWs. But with this 550i, I got my second clutch at 15k miles (full flywheel pack) due to extremely high pedal engagement. Never any slippage but they said it was out of the auto adjustment and would go soon. Now at 25k it releases almost at the end of the pedal travel again. I've complained each service (oil changes and inspectiion) and the dealer says it's normal. I'll wait until next March (end of warranty in April) and see where I am. I also have the Zech CDV and a short shifter.

Great car but I'm learning to not trust the clutch. I never do burnouts or abuse it and with teh hill-hold feature it's a no brainer to engage uphill. Thsi is a design flaw and you should push your dealer to fix it and fix it right, especially at these prices.

If it goes again- this BMW is gone. I hope I get to keep it because thsi car is special-
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

95k miles on my clutch and feels like new. Replacing the CDV is a must! Impossible to shift smoothly without this easy mod.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Originally Posted by TAJARO' post='893616' date='May 28 2009, 10:54 PM
I only have driven manual transmissions for the past 34 years (never learned how to drive an automatic...) and have 3 right now. I've never had a clutch go with less than 75k including BMWs. But with this 550i, I got my second clutch at 15k miles (full flywheel pack) due to extremely high pedal engagement. Never any slippage but they said it was out of the auto adjustment and would go soon. Now at 25k it releases almost at the end of the pedal travel again. I've complained each service (oil changes and inspectiion) and the dealer says it's normal. I'll wait until next March (end of warranty in April) and see where I am. I also have the Zech CDV and a short shifter.

Great car but I'm learning to not trust the clutch. I never do burnouts or abuse it and with teh hill-hold feature it's a no brainer to engage uphill. Thsi is a design flaw and you should push your dealer to fix it and fix it right, especially at these prices.

If it goes again- this BMW is gone. I hope I get to keep it because thsi car is special-
We are in the same boat, my engages at the very top of the pedal travel, just before the pedal is fully released. I am still under warranty but not for much longer. Dealer says my clutch is fine and not slipping when I asked them to check it at my last service. I NEED to make sure i get a clutch before my warranty is out but short of burning it up myself (which obviously I don't prefer to do) I don't know how to get a new one.

Quick Reply: new clutch issue on my 545i...need advice please