E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Car Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

Although this is old news to me, I thought that it may be of interest to some of you. If nothing else its a new topic on the boards. IMHO, I would rather keep the new car smell than to go without it. He!!, thats one of the reasons we're in the market for a new car! Check out the links below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...DTL&type=health

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1162701

Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

New car + new leather smell = the best smell there is

Healthy or not, who cares.

Smoking and living in polluted city air kills faster (I do both).
Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Dickens' post='269048' date='Apr 14 2006, 10:43 AM
Although this is old news to me, I thought that it may be of interest to some of you. If nothing else its a new topic on the boards. IMHO, I would rather keep the new car smell than to go without it. He!!, thats one of the reasons we're in the market for a new car! Check out the links below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...DTL&type=health

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1162701

You are correct: That's not "news" and not particularly applicable to European cars. There have been many articles that describe all the "green" tactics that are being used by European manufacturers to directly address this question, and BMW is among the forefront manufacturers demanding lower VOCs from OEM suppliers. I may have read some here (I also subscribe to Automotive news and a lot of trade pubs, so they may have been elsewhere).

Also, there was also some junk science article and charts displayed here on interior VOCs that didn't make any sense (unless you have a sealed interior). They may have both been in the same thread here; check the search facility.

Ray Hull
Old 04-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

If it's 2 identical cars. I will buy the one with the new car smell.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

so the japanese automakers are reducing the intensity of the "new car smell" in their new cars? well i guess that's one way bmw can beat lexus....give us more of the "new car smell" that we love!!!

the important issue here is....where can i find some replacement "new car smell" in a bottle to spray in my old car? i might just wanna use it as cologne too! i also love the smell of fresh gasoline in the morning, really gets me pumped up to start the day!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I walk into BMW dealer and sit in any BMW, the new car smell makes me feel so exotic
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

The new car smell is probably not good for my health but I am so enjoying it while it last
Old 04-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Automakers engineer the odors into their cars. Ever notice how new BMWs smell different than new Lexus.. smell different than new Mercedes? But a new BMW smells like any other new BMW. That isn't a mistake.... they design that smell into it. Hell.... the smell is practically part of the brand image. It could be called marketing, even... The smell of the car in the showroom could affect the perception of the potential buyer.

I just wish that BMW would bottle the smell, and sell it..... then we could keep the new BMW scent forever. I think they really could do this.... but probably don't because they want to keep the BMW smell a trade secret. If they sold it in bottles, then anyone could put BMW smell in their non-BMW car.

(I'm only half serious, by the way.... )
Old 04-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Members

Some shops do sell stuff that you can spray in your car to give it that new car smell Unfortunately there isn't one yet for the 'BMW scent'
Old 04-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

if i get a new bmw ever year, completes with its intoxicating new car smell. i'll die a happy man.
too many other everyday living hazards to worry about, you might as well stop living.

Quick Reply: New Car Smell