E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New car arrived

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the usual wait my new car arrived on March 1st with the new (in UK) 07 registration. I went for a 520d M-Sport in Carbon Black with full beige leather and light poplar wood. This exceeded my co car limit so i had to be gentle with the options which were only heated seats, 6 stack CD, mats and a chrome grill (cheat!)

So what are my first impressions. Well.. I know most of you guys are E60 fanatics but a bit mixed to be honest.

1. The car was supplied by a dealer in North Yorkshire who trailered it down to my home in Somerset and when it arrived it was filthy! Not a good first impression/new car experience
2. I only had a very brief test drive in the car (my fault) and went on my love of the looks and the press coverage. Well it certainly doesnt seem as big inside as my Audi A6 and certainly lacks the storage space for my bits and pieces
3. Heavy rain over the last couple of days has left small drops of water on the rear seats. Nothing dramatic but its clearing coming over the top of the rear door seals.
4. The fuel computer only reads at 2 decimal places either X.3 mpg or X.7 mpg and skips from one to another- is this normal or should it be measuring on a proper graded basis?

On a more positive note, the interior trim looks great. Beige and light wood look superb in contrast with the Carbon black and the wheels also look fab. The whole car feels really tight. The gears are still a bit notchy and the engine is tight- but its only done 120 miles and i know it will "loosen up". MPG so far is 39.3 and i am driving very carefully- nothing over 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles- but again this is well down on the Audi (but better than you 6 cyl guys!). The way the car feels on the road- the solidity and the poise is however streets ahead of my old car.

All in all a mixed start and where i hope my issues will be overcome as the car sees more usage. 500 miles in the next 3 days should sort it!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 911SC' post='399514' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:11 AM
...very carefully- nothing over 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles- ..
!!!

That's careful in a Diesel? Maybe I'm just not familair with that particular engine.

IIRC my run-in was below 2000rpm/90mph.

ABC
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='399522' date='Mar 7 2007, 04:48 AM
!!!

That's careful in a Diesel? Maybe I'm just not familair with that particular engine.

IIRC my run-in was below 2000rpm/90mph.

ABC

Oh dear!

I gained the impression from the manual (which Ive only skimmed read so far) that running in wasnt really needed! I always keep to below 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles when I take a new car but that's just out of sheer mechanical sympathy. hopefully this regime isnt doing any damage!!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 911SC' post='399528' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:32 AM
Oh dear!

I gained the impression from the manual (which Ive only skimmed read so far) that running in wasnt really needed! I always keep to below 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles when I take a new car but that's just out of sheer mechanical sympathy. hopefully this regime isnt doing any damage!!
I didn't remember it correctly.

It's don't exceed 3,500/90mph whilst varying your engine and road speeds. Do not use full throttle or kick down. For the first 1200 miles.

I hope the wrinkles are ironed out to your satisfaction.

ABC
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by 911SC' post='399514' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:11 AM
After the usual wait my new car arrived on March 1st with the new (in UK) 07 registration. I went for a 520d M-Sport in Carbon Black with full beige leather and light poplar wood. This exceeded my co car limit so i had to be gentle with the options which were only heated seats, 6 stack CD, mats and a chrome grill (cheat!)

So what are my first impressions. Well.. I know most of you guys are E60 fanatics but a bit mixed to be honest.

I only had a very brief test drive in the car (my fault) and went on my love of the looks and the press coverage. Well it certainly doesnt seem as big inside as my Audi A6 and certainly lacks the storage space for my bits and pieces

Heavy rain over the last couple of days has left small drops of water on the rear seats. Nothing dramatic but its clearing coming over the top of the rear door seals.

The fuel computer only reads at 2 decimal places either X.3 mpg or X.7 mpg and skips from one to another- is this normal or should it be measuring on a proper graded basis?

On a more positive note, the interior trim looks great. Beige and light wood look superb

MPG so far is 39.3 and i am driving very carefully- nothing over 3000 rpm for the first few hundred miles- but again this is well down on the Audi (but better than you 6 cyl guys!). The way the car feels on the road- the solidity and the poise is however streets ahead of my old car.
Hi, Glad you are enjoying parts of your E60 ownership experience. I must admit that I'd totally forgotton about the new '07 reg - can't believe we are in March already. I haven't yet seen an 07 plate - mind you I will be looking out now starting with my journey home tonight.

I had 2 of the old A6s, 2000 and 2003 model but I know the latest version is far bigger - almost on to the next class up. However, on test driving the E60 I had to have one and I don't need a car as big as the A6 anyway. I agree though that the E60 is very short on oddments space. I tend to cram quite a bit into the armrest storage.

Rain hitting the froint and back seats as the doors are opened with the roof wet has always resulted in wet seats on the E60 and E39, poor design of roof rain chanelling that I had thought would have been resolved on the latest version but sadly not. More of an issue with cloth seats and staining - I don't find it marks my leather.

I agree the beige trim looks good - I have the dark poplar wood which is also a good contrast. Keen to see what the new cream beige is like in real life on the facelifted version. Classy but a bugger to clean I guess! :thumbsdown:

My fuel computer does the same in that it is currently switching between 39.7 and 40.3 MPG. Don't know why it skips 0.6MPG steps? I must say I am a little disappointed with the economy on what I expected - I think BMW are more economical with the truth of their actual MPG figures than their engines are demonstrating.

Still the main issue I guess is the amazingly low emissions for the BHP and hence lower company car and road tax bills, the former being my main concern. Apart from the disappointing figures I am really impressed with how lively the engine is and I love the fact that it has a particulate filter - I hate the way you follow other diesels like my old Audi and are greeted by clouds of smoke - not really becoming of an executive car IMO. Also love the road handling and quality of ride compared to my Audis.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Members

remember your engine will use more fuel the first 2-3000 km.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='399682' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:06 PM
BMW are more economical with the truth of their actual MPG figures than their engines are demonstrating.
Some people use Government consumption figures (Urban, Combined etc) achieved under laboratory conditions as guidelines between models and manufacturers.

It is also useful to calibrate the OBC using actual mpg from fillup to fillup.

ABC
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='399699' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:21 PM
It is also useful to calibrate the OBC using actual mpg from fillup to fillup.

ABC
I'm interested in how you would do this. I didn't know it was possible?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='399709' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:30 PM
I'm interested in how you would do this. I didn't know it was possible?
Hmmmm... there's a "Secret Menu" I hope that will enable you to find the right posts) - I'll look independently.

Then there are adjustements you can make to many aspects of instrumentation.

ABC
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='399710' date='Mar 7 2007, 06:36 PM
Hmmmm... there's a "Secret Menu" I hope that will enable you to find the right posts) - I'll look independently.

Then there are adjustements you can make to many aspects of instrumentation.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=244917

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=250343

ABC

Quick Reply: New car arrived