E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to BMWs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 06:36 AM
DDW
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i-Silver Grey / Grey, Premium, Sport, PDC

Last week I ordered my ?05 530I silver gray/gray, premium, sports, auto, pdc *non-xenon, **bluetooth? ***november production ?
I have never owned a BMW My brother-in-law has an ?03 525 and has been driving BMWs for 20 plus years. It took me awhile but I'm beginning to see what he's been talking about. I have owned 10+ corvettes, a 280z, several old muscle cars, none of which gave me the pleasure of what I experienced in this 530 demo last week. The car seems to be magnetically glued to the road - just effortless cornering. I'm turning 47 and my need for speed was satisfied a long time ago, the 530 had very pleasant and quiet acceleration but 10 years ago I would have opted for the 545 6 sp. for sure.
Yes I can see what the purist BMW fans are talking about when looking at the new body style but once on the inside looking out I can forgive a lot of that. I bought the car purely on tactile sensations not for all the BMW gimmicks that work or don?t work, which for me take away from the pure driving joy of this magnificent car. (PS.. i do hope they all work )
* After driving the demo for two nights, I opted out of the xenon headlights. I found myself focused on, and wondering what they would do next, swooping up and down on hilly roads and dips, was just too un-nerving. Plus the getting flashed for highbeams-not on. Maybe there's a learning curve with these but just didn't want to chance it as I have never really had to think about my headlight's before while driving.
** So after reading several posts on US bluetooth, still not for sure if its an option, or will come standard, will you then have to add dealer installed handsfree kit? Are the phones avalible that will work with it, my dealer does not know.
*** November production is what my dealer told me, its not shown on BMW's website, "on order" is all that I can find?
( my 1st posting - go easy on me)
Old 10-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Welcome to the best E60 board on the web!

I'm 47 too and understand your feelings about the 530 vs. 545. Its definitely costlier at the gas pump with prices the way they are, although the Europeans on this board would be happy to pay our prices! But, with two kids in private school and college around the corner, the gas and insurance are a factor. (I may surprise myself and go for the 545 though when I order next week)

As far as the adaptive headlamps, I can't help thinking you're making a mistake here. You will get used to them in time. I for one can really see the difference when driving a non-adaptive, non-xenon vehicle.

MY2005 E60's should all have Bluetooth standard; use the search function to investigate latest threads on this subject.

Forget about the styling hang-ups. The car looks great from the side and the rear, IMHO, especially when one is passing you at high speed on the highway!

Congrats on your choice of a fine automobile!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DDW' date='Oct 16 2004, 09:36 AM
Last week I ordered my ?05 530I silver gray/gray, premium, sports, auto, pdc?? *non-xenon, **bluetooth? ***november production ?
I have never owned a BMW My brother-in-law has an ?03 525 and has been driving BMWs for 20 plus years. It took me awhile but I'm beginning to see what he's been talking about. I have owned 10+ corvettes, a 280z, several old muscle cars,? none of which gave me the pleasure of what I experienced in this 530 demo last week. The car seems to be magnetically glued to the road - just effortless cornering. I'm turning 47 and my need for speed was satisfied a long time ago, the 530 had very pleasant and quiet acceleration but 10 years ago I would have opted for the 545 6 sp. for sure.?
?
[snapback]45465[/snapback]
Congrats on the order and welcome to the board.

This was my first BMW as well, and I am about 10 years younger than you, therefore I did get the 545/6 speed. Pretty funny with two car seats in the back.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the board.
Anyone with non-Xenons care to comment?

You may want to wait until next summer when the new 6cyl. upgraded motor comes out. Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:14 AM
DDW
Contributors

My Ride: '05 530i-Silver Grey / Grey, Premium, Sport, PDC

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 16 2004, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the board.
Anyone with non-Xenons care to comment?

You may want to wait until next summer when the new 6cyl. upgraded motor comes out. Just a thought.
[snapback]45481[/snapback]
Already pulled the trigger on this one, plan on trading in 2yrs.
Where can you find info on the changes to the 6cyl.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the Best forum on the web. I think you wiil find great information and meet some of the best people around. Great to have a new addition to the group.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Congrats!

The 3.0 engine is wonderfully smooth and torquey. I had it on my 01 530. My e60 after 3,300 miles is awesome. I look forward to every chance that I get to drive it. The build quality is outstanding. It is a great car!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

This was my first BMW as well, and I am about 10 years younger than you, therefore I did get the 545/6 speed. Pretty funny with two car seats in the back.?
[snapback]45473[/snapback]
I'm 42. My first BMW and I got my dream car. Also have two booster seats in the back. I wanted to get an manual transmission 540 when they first came out. This year my butt is finally cradled in a 545i. I love the drive. And enjoy it more everyday. Like all drivers seats and manual transmissions it takes some mind and body adjustment to become one with the car. I am very close.

BTW. I think you are making a mistake with the XENONS. If the active lights really bother you, you can just turn them off by switching the lights on rather than on Auto. Maybe the Demo needed alignment. They are bright but never hit the oncoming driver if aligned properly. Please trust us on this and go back and add them to your order.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

I didn't know you can turn off the Xenons. I'll have to check this out.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DDW' date='Oct 16 2004, 08:14 AM
Where can you find info on the changes to the 6cyl.
[snapback]45485[/snapback]
Check out this forum post for more info on the new 6 cyl.

Quick Reply: New to BMWs