E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the BMW world - getting an E60 540/550i MSport

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:42 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '01 WRX STI V7
Default New to the BMW world - getting an E60 540/550i MSport

Hi guys,

A BMW hopeful here from New Zealand. Currently own a 2001 WRX STI, very heavily modified and making 240kw atw (320 horsepower at the wheels). Problem is, lately I've been getting sick of it, it's always been about "that race car life" for me but i think I'm just growing out of it now. The exhaust rumble is beautiful but also way too loud for me now (I used to love it but I must be getting old now??) to enjoy any conversations or music in the car.

I'm looking at BMW E60 540i / 550i MSports but a little concerned about the performance, as I believe they have significantly less power? Do you think i would be disappointed in that regard?

Currently doing my research but very much looking for a 2007-2009 BMW 550i MSport or even a 540i, though to be honest I am not too sure on the differences between them other than 4.0L v8 vs 4.8L v8. For the first time in my life I'll also be moving on from manual transmission sporty cars over to an auto. It's a tough move but i'm becoming more of a family car guy now than a street racer type but still want something with grunt.

The cars I'm looking at in my budget have between 60000-80000 miles on them , should i be budgetting in some repair bills? are there any major works to the auto transmission / engine?

Any and all advice appreciated Especially in deciding between 540i / 550i

My current car below)