E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to BMW..hope I didnt make a mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm new to BMW and new to the site. This site is great. I have learned so much, have had pretty much every question answered and been able to accomplish every DIY projects with all the awesome write ups. My concern I'm having though is while reading through all the topics I'm starting to wonder if I made a good decision to buy a BMW. I just picked up an 05' 545i with 95k on it. I guess I'm looking for some positive reviews to make me feel better about my purchase! lol. I should have done my homework more but I figured a reputable brand and an expensive car they would be very reliable. If anything, its runs great right now and is very fun to drive.... Any feedback on the 545i?????

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

welcome to a world of pain!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by Scubasm161
Hi everyone, I'm new to BMW and new to the site. This site is great. I have learned so much, have had pretty much every question answered and been able to accomplish every DIY projects with all the awesome write ups. My concern I'm having though is while reading through all the topics I'm starting to wonder if I made a good decision to buy a BMW. I just picked up an 05' 545i with 95k on it. I guess I'm looking for some positive reviews to make me feel better about my purchase! lol. I should have done my homework more but I figured a reputable brand and an expensive car they would be very reliable. If anything, its runs great right now and is very fun to drive.... Any feedback on the 545i?????

Thanks,

Steve
Welcome to BMW and the forum. The basic answer is you bought one heck of a machine, but as with ANY brand, it depends on the upkeep of the vehicle prior to your purchase and from here on. If you can not confirm the most recent services, I would replace all fluids/filters and have a reputable BMW indy shop give it a once over. These cars can run for a long time with the proper upkeep and service.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I love my 545. But please have the storm drains checked out and cleared... all of them from the sunroof to the drains under the ebox (located under the micro cabin filter on the passenger side under the hood). Its a great car if properly maintained.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I love my 545. But please have the storm drains checked out and cleared... all of them from the sunroof to the drains under the ebox (located under the micro cabin filter on the passenger side under the hood). Its a great car if properly maintained.
where are all these drains located?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
New Members

thanks for your feedback. the car went in to get 2 open recalls taken care of. Battery cable and brake vacuum line. While in the shop the dealer went though the car and did a "complimentary condition check". Everything checked out fine except for a leak with the mechatronic sleeve in the transmission. Dealer quoted me $811 to do. I dont think I will be having them do it!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Scubasm161
thanks for your feedback. the car went in to get 2 open recalls taken care of. Battery cable and brake vacuum line. While in the shop the dealer went though the car and did a "complimentary condition check". Everything checked out fine except for a leak with the mechatronic sleeve in the transmission. Dealer quoted me $811 to do. I dont think I will be having them do it!
common issue. there is a thread on changing the fluid/pan and sleeve in the diy forum.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Members

I agree with the others. I have a 2005 525 and I love it! It does take a little work to figure things out because it is a complicated machine...but I still tell people that there is not a car that will run like a BMW.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Members

I also have a 525(xi series of course) it's a great car. It's not like the others I'm still learning from it everyday and 5series.net will be your only family from now on. We are all here to share info NO SELFISHNESS around here. Just make sure you study your car well and like previous members said if that's your only dollar left just to replace the air filter, trust me do it.

Welcome to your new Fam.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As earlier poster stated your experience will depend upon the maintenance performed by earlier owners. I hope for your sake the previous owners did not follow the BMW CBM maintenance plan. Helpful if you get any records you can from previous owners so at least you have a baseline.

Is the awesome drive worth the pain? So far I would have to say yes. Performance wise the 4.4L V8 used in the 545i is one of the sweetest engines ever made. Extremely wide power band with significant torque at low RPMs in a free revving engine. But it is also one of the worst engine designs in recent years by BMW from the standpoint of gasket and seal reliability. More leaks than a retirement home!

If you are a DIYer you will definitely be kept busy!

Congrats and enjoy.

Quick Reply: New to BMW..hope I didnt make a mistake!