E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to bmw/forum.. CPO won't cover Radio causing High Battery Drain... starter advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014 | 08:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 528i
Unhappy New to bmw/forum.. CPO won't cover Radio causing High Battery Drain... starter advice

Hello Everyone..

First post, and trying to learn as much as I can without repeating questions, but a search did not turn up an answer yet. I apologize for dumb questions in advance.

As many others have experienced (as I've read), my Radio needs replacing and has been found to be the source of my HIGH BATTERY DRAIN.. (replaced battery with no change) (dealer quoting 2017.00) for my 2009 528i. (manufacture date of 08/2008).

My question is, how do I know which radio it is? (CCC CIC?) The unit does NOT have NAV, but it DOES have the newer Idrive buttons.

It is the old smaller screen, not the wide.

As I am not prepared to spend 2000.00 on this repair, I've asked them to disable the fuse/radio so it does not do further battery issues., and I need to research my options..

For those who have gone through this nightmare.. what advice would you give me at this point.. and how can I best find the part numbers for my car for exact direct replacement.

I'd love to retrofit and upgrade to the new style, but i'm sure it is above my budget/knowledge (I don't have the programming knowledge/tools to do the job).

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-05-2014 | 09:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

Not a dumb question at all. I have basically the same car, (prod 09/09) 2010 model. It had no nav, just the M-ASK radio (which is what you have). CCC is the old navigation style units (they have a dvd slot and a cd slot), and the CIC only has a single slot but is so large that it has a new trim piece where the cubby is. It's just a different looking trim part.

Your battery drain can be a few things a) a negative cable recall issue or b) the radio needs to be replaced, i just sold mine at an extremely low price of 50$ and the guy was still giving me a headache.

You have two routes, a) find a new M-ASK radio
b) upgrade to a CIC unit for about 1200-1500$ and enjoy the upgraded OS, and navigation.

Check realoem.com for cross referencing part numbers.
Old 03-05-2014 | 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

CPO doesn't cover that?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-05-2014 | 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

It does not cover the radio, unless you buy the extended ownership warrentee (2500$) add on.

The NEW CPO does.. the one for our E60s... does not. Think they knew something we didn't...
Old 03-05-2014 | 01:56 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
CPO doesn't cover that?!?!?!?!?
Believe it or not (I didn't), they charged me the battery, the "programming" of the battery, then another 304.00 today to find the cause of the battery drain.. then told me 2017.84 (looking at quote) to replace the radio...

I'm now thinking that my original battery was just fine thank you... but it was one week past warranty on the battery..so it may be due for replacement.

I was sold a CPO car being told that I am responsible for all maintenance parts.. so brakes/batteries etc I had no problem with.. But a radio? That killed my battery and left me stranded, is somehow MY FAULT? I could not be more upset..
Old 03-05-2014 | 01:57 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Canada22
It does not cover the radio, unless you buy the extended ownership warrentee (2500$) add on.

The NEW CPO does.. the one for our E60s... does not. Think they knew something we didn't...
Yup.. hook line and sinker. how could a faulty radio (I do know the answer to this) kill my car.

and cost 2300.00 to replace.

looking into DIY solutions...
Old 03-05-2014 | 02:03 PM
New Members

Not a dumb question at all. I have basically the same car, (prod 09/09) 2010 model. It had no nav, just the M-ASK radio (which is what you have). CCC is the old navigation style units (they have a dvd slot and a cd slot), and the CIC only has a single slot but is so large that it has a new trim piece where the cubby is. It's just a different looking trim part.

Your battery drain can be a few things a) a negative cable recall issue or b) the radio needs to be replaced, i just sold mine at an extremely low price of 50$ and the guy was still giving me a headache.

b) upgrade to a CIC unit for about 1200-1500$ and enjoy the upgraded OS, and navigation.

Thank you SO much for your reply.. I really appreciate it.. My head was spinning today to try and find which unit was in there.. Their "replacement quote" indicates Part Number 65-83-9-156-237 EXCHANGE -CCC CD.

Which I don't think is this the right part number for the M-ask radio that you speak of .. (will look up after typing this)... The part number above looks to have a DVD which mine does not.

I'm not against putting in the new tech, but to be honest.. I am being forced to fix and move on I think...

I suppose if I took the maintenance for 2700 when I purchased 7 months ago, I'd be ahead... They didn't cover the brakes, rotors, tires, fuel injection repair.. all of which needed repair within two months of purchase... its all so very sad to me, as it was my dream car.

Sob story over.. thank you so much for your advice! I now can go looking for the m-ask replacement and hopefully find one, and get this nightmare fixed.

Thank you again Canada22 (p.s. I live in florida, but lived in Wpg for 35 years .. )
Old 03-05-2014 | 02:07 PM
New Members

I'll give you 100.00 for the radio, and tell the guy to shut up for you. haha jk

let me know if he doesn't want it.
Old 03-05-2014 | 03:16 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

How did they determine that the radio is at fault? That is, are you convinced this really is the problem?

You might try and pull the fuse for the radio and drive around for a few days and see of the battery drain gos away. If not, then I doubt the radio is at fault and you can point that out to them and tell them to keep looking.

I'm not saying it can't be the radio, just that too many people throw parts at solutions rather than actually understand the actual root cause. Now, in some cases, there may not be a lot of choices, but to shoot at likely suspects -- that can get expensive.
Old 03-05-2014 | 03:21 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
How did they determine that the radio is at fault? That is, are you convinced this really is the problem?

You might try and pull the fuse for the radio and drive around for a few days and see of the battery drain gos away. If not, then I doubt the radio is at fault and you can point that out to them and tell them to keep looking.

I'm not saying it can't be the radio, just that too many people throw parts at solutions rather than actually understand the actual root cause. Now, in some cases, there may not be a lot of choices, but to shoot at likely suspects -- that can get expensive.
This happened today.. the fuse was pulled.. I'm trickle charging it tonight, and like you say, will watch the messages for the next few days before the next step.

I'm going to need time to research replacement as well haha.. So far I'm seeing 5 different part numbers for the M-ask radios haha.. I guess I won't really know which one I need (if it is indeed the radio) until I pull it out of the dash.

Thank you for the advice, and I will follow that.. won't touch a thing for a week and see what happens on the error screens..

Currently the "No SOS" error message comes up, but I assume that is due to the radio being disconnected. haha Currently no other ones.

Quick Reply: New to bmw/forum.. CPO won't cover Radio causing High Battery Drain... starter advice