E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 545i Owner needs serious help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so bmw decided to change the valve cover gaskets on both sides for $1200. Hopefully the ticking will go away
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

How many miles? If under 100k im sure you can get a 3rd party extended warranty for 2k. It would be a good idea to build a personal relation at your local BMW Dealer because my Service Advisor gave me a print out of car history that was very useful and I was never able to get a print out of car history at another BMW Dealership because of privacy issues. In additional save any repair invoices. An Example when my valve cover gasket #1 went bad my warranty only approved work to replace 1 out of 2 gasket. So 1 year later gasket #2 leaked so new Independent BMW shop quoted for 2 gaskets. So i was able to show that I had Gasket #1 replaced.

Im sure someone will chrime about ticking noise. but this was a known issue with BAD lifter design. For a limited time if you brought up BAD Lifters replacement to your SA you would had a half engine rebuild with the NEW lifters a 12k job under warranty.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by AllBlackBMW
so bmw decided to change the valve cover gaskets on both sides for $1200. Hopefully the ticking will go away
So it was leaking that bad from the valve cover gaskets???

Originally Posted by NoName545i
How many miles? If under 100k im sure you can get a 3rd party extended warranty for 2k. It would be a good idea to build a personal relation at your local BMW Dealer because my Service Advisor gave me a print out of car history that was very useful and I was never able to get a print out of car history at another BMW Dealership because of privacy issues. In additional save any repair invoices. An Example when my valve cover gasket #1 went bad my warranty only approved work to replace 1 out of 2 gasket. So 1 year later gasket #2 leaked so new Independent BMW shop quoted for 2 gaskets. So i was able to show that I had Gasket #1 replaced.

Huh? In regards to repairs done by BMW, you have a 2 year window for replacement if the part fails. So if you get valve cover gaskets replaced and within 2 years they fail, they will be replaced at no cost.

I am sure 3rd party warranties are available but I would argue that they are probably more than 2k and never seem to cover the repairs that are needed...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by jaycal3
So it was leaking that bad from the valve cover gaskets???

Huh? In regards to repairs done by BMW, you have a 2 year window for replacement if the part fails. So if you get valve cover gaskets replaced and within 2 years they fail, they will be replaced at no cost.
--My warranty only covered for the right side of engine that was leaking but dealer wanted to replace both sides. 1 year later the left side started leaking and shop quoted me to replace gasket for both sides. I though it was silly that warranty company didnt replace both sides in the first place.

I am sure 3rd party warranties are available but I would argue that they are probably more than 2k and never seem to cover the repairs that are needed...
-- Now that i think about it i think i paid $3k but worth every penny... I believe i had better luck in Southern CA with warranty and service. I would only pay $70 for deductible on a 6k job. In North CA warranty seem to cover the parts 100% but very little on the labor (3k part covered, I pay 2k for Labor)