E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 545i Owner needs serious help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. So last month I bought a black 2004 545i and I've already hit 2 major issues. First off I am leaking massive amounts of oil. I brought it to BMW but they couldn't figure out where it is coming from because there is so much of it. Are there any common problems with this car that would cause this? It seems as if it is coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. My second problem is the engine is making a weird noise upon start up but goes away after 15 minutes. It sounds almost like a ticking noise. This noise is coming from the passenger side of the car as well. Here is a video that sounds just like my problem.
I need help trying to figure out what these problems could be and if they are somehow related. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Valve cover gaskets, oil caps and oil pressure switch are all common areas of concern. But you are saying "massive amounts of oil"... how are they not seeing where it is coming from? They need to remove the protective shields from underneath, spray it all clean and start the car up. It should be obvious if there is that much of it. On a side note, I just replaced the oil pressure switch in my 2004 545 and it was a simple job, other than needing to contort my hand like a circus freak to get the new switch in place.

As for the ticking, did it start after you detected the leak? It coule be your lifters tapping... if you are low on oil that may have something to do with it. I am sure someone else will chime in here with more knowledge and experience than me though.

Good luck...
Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

how fast is the oil leaking? Can you even drive it or is it empty before you even drive off?
Does it leak only with the engine running? Why haven't they tried to pour engine oil in SLOWLY and then see where the oil is leaking from?
That ticking noise could easily be happening because of a lack of oil...
Where did you buy it from? Do you have warranty?

Sanj

P.S. to the forum!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

The ticking you hear is caused by your valves been dry!!!!! do not drive not problem is found it might cause serious damage to your engine...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Members

BMW said because there was so much oil on the shield that they couldnt tell where it was coming from.So tomorrow im bringing it back to them again so they can try to see whats wrong. The oil is leaking pretty instantaneous. The car keeps dripping oil day and night. I can drive that car, in fact it still drives really well. Sad thing is I bought it from a rich couple by me and the warranty on it expired so I'm kinda screwed :/ I hope driving it isnt a serious problem because I have driven it. It's my only way of getting around
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by AllBlackBMW
BMW said because there was so much oil on the shield that they couldnt tell where it was coming from.So tomorrow im bringing it back to them again so they can try to see whats wrong. The oil is leaking pretty instantaneous. The car keeps dripping oil day and night. I can drive that car, in fact it still drives really well. Sad thing is I bought it from a rich couple by me and the warranty on it expired so I'm kinda screwed :/ I hope driving it isnt a serious problem because I have driven it. It's my only way of getting around
BMW didn't take the shield off??? How did they expect to see anything?? Most of the leak would occur under whats visible on top...

You say you can drive the car and it drives really well... what would be not driving well to you? If you are blowing all all over the place and you hear the rockers tapping, you are running the risk of catastrophic failure! But, it drives really well so keep driving it...I don't mean to be so sarcastic, but leaking oil and almost blowing an engine may not feel different to you when driving, but BOOM!!! When it happens you will regret you continued to drive it.

Did you not have a mechanic inspect the car prior to purchasing? Was it leaking shortly after purchase?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]if you keep driving it low on oil, you will cause SERIOUS damage to it.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Also, sounds like your dealership mechanics are stupid. Go to a local reputable garage.[/font]
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

You may not realize it, but there is a dipstick on the 545. It is at the back of the engine, near the firewall, on the right side of the engine looking from the front. It should have a red plastic pull ring on it. I would make sure of my oil level before driving in this condition.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Members

They took the shield off but when they did there was too much oil to determine where the oil was leaking from. When I said driving well i meant the car isn't making any weird noises when driving it seems to be running as good as it did b4 these problems. The second I heard the ticking noise I stopped driving it cause I knew it was something to do the either the valve lifters or the pistons. Yeah we had the car looked over b4 we purchased it and everything was fine besides worn out brake pads. Within 2 or 3 weeks after having the car it started leaking. When I checked the dipstick it had enough oil but its only because I keep filling it back to the top with oil.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Members

There is an oil sensor that goes bad on these cars. Oil leaks through the sensor and drips down the wire onto belts and all over the place. With wind blowing through there while driving it looks like a mess. I cleaned mine up a couple times and the dealer complained about all of the oil as well. Every time I checked the oil before driving it never needed anything added, it was just blowing around looking worse than it really was.

Anyway, BMW should take the shields off, clean everything real good and then start the car on a lift. They will be able to tell right away where the leak is coming from if it's that significant. If it's ticking I'm not sure I'd drive it just because I would be paranoid until BMW told me that it was ok.

Quick Reply: New 545i Owner needs serious help!