E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The new 535i - I feel hesitant on the turbo technology

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that I would be hesitant about is this is the same engine that is in the new 335 and Bimmer magazine has been noting that it has an temp issue. They have mentioned that the car runs a bit on the hot side and the temp gets even higher w/ spirited driving. The 335 has been known to get too hot and go into limp home mode. They said you cannot track it because you will be in limp home mode.... I can not confirm that this is the case for the 5 but is an issue for the 3 w/ the same powerplant
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Members

I just spent 1300 miles in a 535 with the new step transmission. I cannot comment on all of your questions but can give my impressions. those worried about turbo lag should stop worrying. This is next gen turbo and there isn't any lag--period. The car is smooth throughout the power band and provides lots torque without having to stomp it down every time you want to pass. The car does not have to be revved high to get the benefit of the turbo. The car does not surge at low speeds (My normally aspirated 3.0 Audi quattro does though) If you test drove this car w/o knowing it was a turbo I am willing to bet you not guess it from the way it sounds or performs.

Some people have decided they will not buy turbocharged cars--up to them, but they are missing out on a terribly efficient way to increase horsepower without increasing weight...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='420707' date='May 3 2007, 01:29 PM
The only thing that I would be hesitant about is this is the same engine that is in the new 335 and Bimmer magazine has been noting that it has an temp issue. They have mentioned that the car runs a bit on the hot side and the temp gets even higher w/ spirited driving. The 335 has been known to get too hot and go into limp home mode. They said you cannot track it because you will be in limp home mode.... I can not confirm that this is the case for the 5 but is an issue for the 3 w/ the same powerplant
I have no direct knowledge, but have read that the few instances of overheating reported were observed after prolonged, high rev use of the engine (i.e., on the track). These occurred prior to BMW putting oil coolers on the cars. The 535's have what appears to be a robust oil cooler. I doubt that issue will plague any 535i, but time will tell.

Lou
Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Trust me a test drive of either car will win you over provided that you dont want a manual shifter in the 535. For what ever reason it only comes in with a tip tronic auto and or paddle shifter auto :thumbsdown:. Now as far as the 5 car no lag, no jerky motions at low speed but the suspension needs stiffining as far as i could tell 125 in the blink of an eye, and i do mean a blink , but i just long for more control over the gear changes.

Also I drove a 335i sedan right after with a six speed manual, now that is what i am talking about the car pulls so frigggin hard itz stupid. There again was no lag and the stability of the sport suspension compared to the normal of the 5 series is like night and day were the 3 car is rock solid when you hit it hard from a dead stop or stump it at highway speeds, the 5 at the same sinerio though the speed and power is on tap it squates far two much, and the front end lifts a bit more than i like, brakes are tremendous they must have reworked them as my 5 feels different. Stability is also not as firm on the 5 i found myself a little uncomfortable at those tripple digits speed.

Now i love the looks of the car still and the tweeks look great also, i dont like however the new arm rest and the way it juts downward to the window controls kinda awkward. I do like the radio refinments, heat control refinments and cubby hole refinments, all and all if they cam in manuals an 08 535i would be in the drive way as i type.
Attached Images