E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 532i Squeaking noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am trying to get a feedback on a brandnew 523i that does squeak when going of the accelerator or when engine is touring down to idle when car stands. It also gives a short squeak when shutting down. The noise definitely comes from the drivers side of the engine department and is dependent on the outside temp if it is hot it's pretty loud.
BMW told my dealer to test change the variable air intake duct (not sure if this is the correct translation) from a show room car to see if the noise "moves". As I do not want trial and error repairs does anybody of you ever had such a prob and how was it solved? Personally it sounds to me more like a part that is revolving than an air intake duct.

Thanks folks

Bernd
Germany
Old 08-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Members

also have this kinda squeeking noise which uhave nromally with older cheaper cars. if u know what it is tell me i think personally about the airco maybe it needs some tightning. or loosening. it sounds like something is running not right withme andmake some noise. I discovered it last night when my wife drove the car.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

No squeeks from my engine.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Members

Hi

I have the same problem on my new 530xi. My dealer couldn't tell why this is happening. I noticed, that it is only noticable when the engine is warm. It is between 1000 and 1200 rpm when you accelerate and deaccelerate in this rmp range. Realy embarrassing - specially in car parks where the sound is reflected by the walls and everybody thinks you are drive an old car.. So I would be also very intressted in a solution.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bernd22' post='457658' date='Aug 11 2007, 04:09 PM
Hi, I am trying to get a feedback on a brandnew 523i that does squeak when going of the accelerator or when engine is touring down to idle when car stands. It also gives a short squeak when shutting down. The noise definitely comes from the drivers side of the engine department and is dependent on the outside temp if it is hot it's pretty loud.
BMW told my dealer to test change the variable air intake duct (not sure if this is the correct translation) from a show room car to see if the noise "moves". As I do not want trial and error repairs does anybody of you ever had such a prob and how was it solved? Personally it sounds to me more like a part that is revolving than an air intake duct.

Thanks folks

Bernd
Germany
Hi! sorry to hear of your problem. Could the noise be from one of the belts or pulleys?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Any discrepensy, get it back to the dealer and let him know, its always safe to get it sorted, instead of taking a chance, if you unsure get it checked.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my2007' post='468204' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:22 AM
Hi! sorry to hear of your problem. Could the noise be from one of the belts or pulleys?
No it is definitely from the engine.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hal2001' post='467897' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:29 PM
Hi

I have the same problem on my new 530xi. My dealer couldn't tell why this is happening. I noticed, that it is only noticable when the engine is warm. It is between 1000 and 1200 rpm when you accelerate and deaccelerate in this rmp range. Realy embarrassing - specially in car parks where the sound is reflected by the walls and everybody thinks you are drive an old car.. So I would be also very intressted in a solution.
OK, as I feared it was the high pressure injection pump they changed it two weaks ago and the noise was instantly gone. The engine ran smooth as silk and the consumption was down by 40%. That's the best part of the story. The bad part is the pump lasted 2000 miles and it was broken again. Squeaking noise and rough engine drive. OK, another one in last week. Same story runs smooth as silk for about 600 miles, THEN humming noise very loud in idle and town speed like a huge electric transformator AND of course first signs of squeaks, car runs extremely shaky in idle sometimes stops for a second completely which makes almost your heart stop.

BMW seems to have BIG problems with the HPI pump that's for sure. Grapevine has it they are desperately working on an improved model.

Bernd
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

hmmm....
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bernd22' post='470355' date='Sep 17 2007, 10:04 PM
OK, as I feared it was the high pressure injection pump they changed it two weaks ago and the noise was instantly gone. The engine ran smooth as silk and the consumption was down by 40%. That's the best part of the story. The bad part is the pump lasted 2000 miles and it was broken again. Squeaking noise and rough engine drive. OK, another one in last week. Same story runs smooth as silk for about 600 miles, THEN humming noise very loud in idle and town speed like a huge electric transformator AND of course first signs of squeaks, car runs extremely shaky in idle sometimes stops for a second completely which makes almost your heart stop.

BMW seems to have BIG problems with the HPI pump that's for sure. Grapevine has it they are desperately working on an improved model.

Bernd
Thats not good news. I have less a noise like an electric transformator but more something like scraping of "sand and metal" and of course the squeaking when accelerating and deaccelerating. I have not yet experienced the engine not running smooth. Still hoping it is something else. Will bring it again to the dealer.

Quick Reply: New 532i Squeaking noise from engine