E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 530d M Sport - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d M Sport Touring, Manual transmission, Space Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack, High Beam assist, Panoramic Roof, Heated Front Seats

I have found useful information on this forum before ordering and while waiting for my new car, so I thought I would share my thoughts now the car has arrived in case anyone is interested.

My car:

530d M Sport Touring
Manual transmission
Space Grey
Black Dakota Leather
Media Pack
Visibility Pack
High Beam assist
Panoramic Roof
Heated Front Seats

Firstly, the ride on the standard 18" M Sport RFTs is very good. Better that an early E60 525 (non Sport) that I have driven, and I would say better than the E39 5 series (I never thought I would be saying that!).

The interior quality is good. Not up to E39 standards, but the LCI changes are a significant improvement.

I have read a lot of criticism of the Bluetooth connection, but I have had no problems yet connecting my Nokia 6234.

My car is a Touring and has the Panoramic roof. The roof when closed is very quiet - no wind noise.

So, everything is positive so far, although I can see it will take a while to get to grips with the I drive.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Welcome on board Mark and congrats on the new ride!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car and see you've gone for a "rare" set-up with the manual gear box in a 530d - don't see that much. No doubt adds to the whole driving experience

If you've been searching the Forum before ordering, then you'll know what's missing from your post...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Congratulations on the new car Mark.

I recently swapped an E39 525i for an E60 530d, and would have to mirror most of your observations there. Key things I have noticed...

- The sport suspension on the E60 is definitely better than it was on my E39. I do however feel the car sould run better on non-RFTs - they seem a little too harsh and prone to tramlining.
- The E39 interior definitely felt better put-together than the E60's. My car is only 14 months old and I'm already hearing groans from where the centre console meets the dash proper.
- Bluetooth could not have been easier to set up or use. Got my Nokia 6230i and my wife's N70 paired up with no probs.

I'll add that the engine is an absolute dream (dare we even think otherwise!) and I find myself often forgetting that I'm driving a diesel. I still look wistfully at the later E39's every now and again, as I feel they have timeless styling, but all that is forgotten as soon as I start driving my E60!

My $0.02
MacSid
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Touring, Manual transmission, Space Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack, High Beam assist, Panoramic Roof, Heated Front Seats

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='423311' date='May 11 2007, 10:33 AM
Welcome on board Mark and congrats on the new ride!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car and see you've gone for a "rare" set-up with the manual gear box in a 530d - don't see that much. No doubt adds to the whole driving experience

If you've been searching the Forum before ordering, then you'll know what's missing from your post...

Do tell me - what have I missed? Sorry, but I'm new to all this!

Re the manual box. Yes, it is rare. The dealer tried to pursuade me to have an auto (preferably one of his demos!) - but I prefer manuals. My previous car was an E39 M5. No doubt I will pay the price come trade-in though.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mark foster' post='423319' date='May 11 2007, 10:44 AM
Do tell me - what have I missed? Sorry, but I'm new to all this!
Pictures
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='423325' date='May 11 2007, 10:54 AM
Pictures
LOL I'll try to take some this weekend. Guess it would be helful to others to see what Space Grey looks like (pretty much like Silver Grey IMHO, at least in the cloudy days we've had since I got the car).
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by mark foster' post='423326' date='May 11 2007, 05:57 PM
LOL I'll try to take some this weekend. Guess it would be helful to others to see what Space Grey looks like (pretty much like Silver Grey IMHO, at least in the cloudy days we've had since I got the car).
Bingo!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='423328' date='May 11 2007, 09:05 AM
Bingo!
wow I heard you can go get a 40-50hp increase re-tune of the ECU for those diesels-pretty sweet having a 530d-wish they hadem here in the usa-that would be nice to just crank out 50more hp for a quick ecu program
Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Congrats on the new motor. Hope you enjoy it.

I got the saloon 530d M Sport with manual and have no regrets. Just let me know how your first to second gear changes feel once the car is run in. My gearbox sometimes clonks. Dealer says there is no fault, and its difficult to drive a similar spec off the forecourt for comparison as there are none.

Clonk aside I find the car really great, RFT don't cause any issues, and the general build quality is good.

Bet you can't wait to get past the run-in miles

Cheers

RED
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Redrum' post='423696' date='May 12 2007, 12:21 PM
Congrats on the new motor. Hope you enjoy it.
I got the saloon 530d M Sport with manual and have no regrets. Just let me know how your first to second gear changes feel once the car is run in. My gearbox sometimes clonks. Dealer says there is no fault, and its difficult to drive a similar spec off the forecourt for comparison as there are none.
Clonk aside I find the car really great, RFT don't cause any issues, and the general build quality is good.
Bet you can't wait to get past the run-in miles
Cheers

RED
Hi

I'm glad I'm not the only person who prefers a manual! The dealers really try to push to autos.

I have only done about 250 miles in the car, and the gear-change seems fine between all gears so far. I have come from an E39 M5, which had a pretty heavy gear-change. I'll keep you posted on any problems as the car gets run in.

Mark

Quick Reply: New 530d M Sport - first impressions