E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

new 528i - noise after shut off, and voice recog. questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

Hello everyone,
I have a new to me 2008 528i. I've had it about a month. Tonight I noticed a motor-like sound after shutting the car off. I could not tell where it was coming from on the car. I have heard the CD/DVD make sounds after shut off, but this was outside the car with the doors locked(although I tried with the doors unlocked also, for whatever that's worth). Checked 5 minutes later, no sound. Does anyone ever have this issue, or have they heard of it?

Also, am I the only person in the US whose voice recognition understands me only about 50% of the time. Honestly, it understands much of what I say, except in the bluetooth phone book mode. I don't have the fan up too high, or the radio cranking. It often just doesn't understand what I am saying. I say "Call *****" or "Dial ********" and I often just get "Options". Very, very frustrating. I do not have an accent, and the car's language is set to English(which I thought I spoke very well .

Thanks so much for your help. I have been reading these forums for about a month now, and I just haven't had any problems with the car that needed posting. I'm not saying it's the easiest car in the world to understand, but driving it definitely makes it worth it.

Thanks,
Brad Cook
Garland, Texas
Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rbcook
Hello everyone,
I have a new to me 2008 528i. I've had it about a month. Tonight I noticed a motor-like sound after shutting the car off. I could not tell where it was coming from on the car. I have heard the CD/DVD make sounds after shut off, but this was outside the car with the doors locked(although I tried with the doors unlocked also, for whatever that's worth). Checked 5 minutes later, no sound. Does anyone ever have this issue, or have they heard of it?
Also, am I the only person in the US whose voice recognition understands me only about 50% of the time. Honestly, it understands much of what I say, except in the bluetooth phone book mode. I don't have the fan up too high, or the radio cranking. It often just doesn't understand what I am saying. I say "Call *****" or "Dial ********" and I often just get "Options". Very, very frustrating. I do not have an accent, and the car's language is set to English(which I thought I spoke very well .
Thanks so much for your help. I have been reading these forums for about a month now, and I just haven't had any problems with the car that needed posting. I'm not saying it's the easiest car in the world to understand, but driving it definitely makes it worth it.
Brad, There are a number of electronic and electro-mechanical systems that shut down after you turn of your engine - some of them make noise. Not a big deal once you get used to it. As for the voice recognition - I agree, there are times when I resort to screaming at my car!! Try speaking in a normal volume, tone, and pace and it will improve accuracy. If it's really bad there may be a microphone problem and have it checked by a dealer while your car is still under factory warranty.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Members

I have a 2008 also.
There is a motor sound in the dash of mine when i shut down also. It is either the nav or the CD player resetting ?? But not to worry.

With the voice command you need to say the actual commands - I copied the needed pages from the manuals on the net and refer to them. I have trouble remembering
all of them. Also you must wait until after the tone then speak. If all else fails, just yell Dummkopf!! That usually gets its attention.