E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 3L petrol engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='243290
And btw the 3 liter TT engine isn't beaten yet. It's still 160 NM away from the petrol and also let's not forget a new unit is to arrive, a little lighter and with insignificant hp increse. I have to addmit that if i'm worng and that 3 liter TT petrol delivers as it shoul, the right way, then it's a freaking good alternative to the 4 liter V8. IF IT"S THAT GOOD then i'm afraid bmw just killed the 4L V8 market segment. Just my opinion.
Indeed. The 540i is dead. Long live the 535i
Old 02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

I'm more intereste in the engine itself then the marketing strategy of introducing it on whatever series. Mostly because this is a big hit. Like i said in the other thread it's a sock to see petrol bmw engines again.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='243371' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:43 PM
I'm more intereste in the engine itself then the marketing strategy of introducing it on whatever series. Mostly because this is a big hit. Like i said in the other thread it's a sock to see petrol bmw engines again.
My most humblest apologies for speculating.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='243372' date='Feb 20 2006, 05:47 PM
My most humblest apologies for speculating.
Nah nah nah you got me wrong...i didn't put in on a bad tone on in a bad way. Sorry man...really now I'm a bit pissed of because of this outcome but hey......now bmw will not be famous anymore for it's cunning to hold on to NA petrol engines so well. A prestige that's been earned in all those years.... :thumbsdown:
Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

@BetterMakeWay: you really need to read again the history of BMW and turbo petrol engines. IT IS their tradition! Just not in the latest years.

They brought turbo to F1 and they've done it really well. They also introduced turbos on cars and so forth. THIS IS their tradition.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='243386' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:11 PM
@BetterMakeWay: you really need to read again the history of BMW and turbo petrol engines. IT IS their tradition! Just not in the latest years.

They brought turbo to F1 and they've done it really well. They also introduced turbos on cars and so forth. THIS IS their tradition.
The tradition is something that broke somewhere around the 80's. Then they came with a new concept. They started to make NA engines especially high reavy engines for the M cars. That's what made them so special. Also while many other competitors like mercedes and audi tried to keep up they simply couldn't, so they did what they thought they knew best or turned to the only solution, and that's going to FI (forced induction) in most of the top end models. Either turbo for audi or superchargers for mercedes they tried to keep up with bmw. Bmw on the other hand managed not to put FI in their engines and still get similar hp numbers if not even bigger then the competition. That acompanied with screaming engines made the LATEST tradition for bmw. Now my question is: was it really neccesary for bmw to brake it's word (when they said they will stay away from FI) and going turbo on the petrol engines again? Was that really necesary? I think not...i think it's only a marketing decision more. So that being said i don't really like that...
I say again. I read the whole article, and i also knew they did turbos in the early years. But for the latest 20 years or so (wich is not such a small period of time) they changed their tradition, a tradition that made them more popular after all. Everyone can make turbo engines. Not everyone can make NA engines that can match the specs of the turbo or supercharged engines.
I can't put it more clear than this...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

I give them enough credit to say they know better what to do. Marketing you say? Why? Are petrol turbo engines so popular that they will bring them money only because it's a turbo? I think only the performance of the engine will make us buy it, regardless it's a turbo or not.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='243364' date='Feb 20 2006, 10:29 PM
Absolutely but the posted article has all the gory details...
check my thread... i had the announcement up before him
Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='243401' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:46 PM
I give them enough credit to say they know better what to do. Marketing you say? Why? Are petrol turbo engines so popular that they will bring them money only because it's a turbo? I think only the performance of the engine will make us buy it, regardless it's a turbo or not.
We'll just wait and see where this turbo crazyness is going to...how many engines will in the future addopt the turbo and if the M's stay untouched. IF they decide to go turbo on the Ms also...then i really fear for the sales. Add an X drive on the next turbo m5 and there you go...current audi rs6.
From now on...no one can say no more the bmw petrol engines are so performant and forced induction free. No more bmw petrol not=turbo
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='243570' date='Feb 21 2006, 10:00 AM
We'll just wait and see where this turbo crazyness is going to...how many engines will in the future addopt the turbo and if the M's stay untouched. IF they decide to go turbo on the Ms also...then i really fear for the sales. Add an X drive on the next turbo m5 and there you go...current audi rs6.
From now on...no one can say no more the bmw petrol engines are so performant and forced induction free. No more bmw petrol not=turbo
Do you think the addition of turbo's will affect sales? At least they're going for a 'low-blow' approach so lag is not there... As far as I can see the high-revving nature will be retained too?

As I said before forced induction allows smaller capacity, higher specific output, better consumption and lower emissions - generally what the market is demanding...

Quick Reply: New 3L petrol engine