E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 2007 550I owner with some problems/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i sport M package/premiun package/ST auto/Nav

Hello
I recently purchased a 2007 550I certified series from a dealer and have a few concerns:

1) IDrive acted strange yesterday and wouldnt accept any input...restarted car...Will accept input now, but wont communicate with my bluetooth phone.
Phone was working fine, but now i get a message saying commnuication not available.

2) Feels like a tank starting up when cold...does some RPM searching for about 10 secs, then settles down...very rough idle during this time. Is this normal?

3) Car occasionally pulls to the left when cruising on the highway, but not always...is this related to active steering gear engaging/disengaging at a bad spot to cause the pull?

4) I have the ST tranny...in DS mode under full acceleration, the shifts are not crisp at all, and shifts are initiated at 6500 rpm, but tach actually hits 6800-6900 before next gear is locked in (thus over reving the engine)??

5) active cruise deactivates in the rain (clean sensor)..is this normal?

6) Idle speed seems a touch high (at first hash-mark on the tach, or a bit above)...need to be on the brake in stop and go traffic or im going right into the car in front of me

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

your issues can be solved with a software update from your dealer, i.e. rough idle, i-drive irregularities, trannie. Pulling left could just be a toe and castor issue with the wheels also to be attended to by your dealer.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Boysenberry' post='604999' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:06 AM
Hello
I recently purchased a 2007 550I certified series from a dealer and have a few concerns:

1) IDrive acted strange yesterday and wouldnt accept any input...restarted car...Will accept input now, but wont communicate with my bluetooth phone.
Phone was working fine, but now i get a message saying commnuication not available.

2) Feels like a tank starting up when cold...does some RPM searching for about 10 secs, then settles down...very rough idle during this time. Is this normal?

3) Car occasionally pulls to the left when cruising on the highway, but not always...is this related to active steering gear engaging/disengaging at a bad spot to cause the pull?

4) I have the ST tranny...in DS mode under full acceleration, the shifts are not crisp at all, and shifts are initiated at 6500 rpm, but tach actually hits 6800-6900 before next gear is locked in (thus over reving the engine)??

6) Idle speed seems a touch high (at first hash-mark on the tach, or a bit above)...need to be on the break in stop and go traffic or im going right into the car in front of me

It wasn't a White MSport from Brian Jessel by any chance ??? If so, we need to talk !
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='605011' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:28 AM
It wasn't a White MSport from Brian Jessel by any chance ??? If so, we need to talk !
That would be crazy if this member ended up buying your lemon, K! Yikes!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i sport M package/premiun package/ST auto/Nav

Heh no,

But maybe they came off the assembly line one after the other.
Car was bought in the Toronto area, I luv the car, but when you buy second hand, you have no idea what the other guy did etc...
I guess thats what warranties are for...just called my dealer said 2 weeks booking for service...Yikes!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Be happy you have a warranty. Too funny if you are following the other cars production issues. BTW, my 2006 550i is very rough starting for about 10-20 seconds, then smooth as ice. is that abnrmal?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by Boysenberry' post='605024' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:49 AM
Heh no,

But maybe they came off the assembly line one after the other.
Car was bought in the Toronto area, I luv the car, but when you buy second hand, you have no idea what the other guy did etc...
I guess thats what warranties are for...just called my dealer said 2 weeks booking for service...Yikes!
I bought my 2005 from Toronto 2...I have a small issue as well...when I steer at very low speed (i.e. parking) I hear some sort of a knocking sound from the steering wheel. I was just wondering if anyone had this issue before.

Other then that the car is perfect...knocking on wood.

Freddy
Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Members

My '07 550 has rough idle/jerky tranny also, during startup... It gets annoying inside parking lots, but once up to speed/heat, its ok. We flashed the car and it says I need 13+ hours of software updates, but the dealer says it can't be done unless something is broken. Even though BMW has updated the software, they basically won't approve it unless something is seriously wrong. When I bought the car, i brought it to a SA that is a mutual friend, told him that he can do anything/everything to the car, but, the tranny is one thing he can't do, unless its really broken.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Boysenberry' post='604999' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:06 AM
Hello

6) Idle speed seems a touch high (at first hash-mark on the tach, or a bit above)...need to be on the brake in stop and go traffic or im going right into the car in front of me

I have an '07 550i and none of what you describe above are normal based on my experience. I haven't experienced any of them in mine. The shifts could be software related. There are a few problems that trigger a warranty covered software update - a search should turn them up. I have active cruise control and it has never deactivated in the rain. I also have the ST and I have never experienced what you describe in DS.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Try resetting your tranny with the step down trick.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

make sure your is OFFFFF.

Quick Reply: New 2007 550I owner with some problems/concerns