E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 04 545i owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Hello all!
Just purchased my 1st 545i with 89K on the odometer. I've been a Bimmer owner for over 30 years and progressed from a 320 through e30 318i (for 18 yrs) e36 325i, E34 525i, and currently have a e36 95 M3 in the garage. Been able to do most the work myself.
I'm really impressed with this car and the technology that has changed in the last decade. In some respects very intimidating to work on. The available space in the e60 engine compartment really has me worried!
I've researched some of the issues that I see coming up but there's not much info on the web.

Questions for the forum:
I plan to do the 100K plugs and O2 sensors myself. The plugs look doable. Has anyone replaced the sensors? Are there procedure advice for the pre-cat sensors? These appear have very limited access. Will a standard O2 socket work, there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a socket any of the sensors.
I think my valve cover gaskets are leaking. On the 6 cyl engines this was easy but the 8 cyl. look impossible! Do I really have to drop the engine to remove the covers? Any other common oil leak sources? I've taken the under panels off and there's oil on just about everything at the rear of the engine especially the passenger side!

I used to be able to change the battery myself, but it looks like the dealer has his hand in my pocket even doing this. Do I really have to have the battery initialized?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2010 | 10:01 AM
Members

Check your mechatronics this is very prone to leaking and problems in the 545.
Old 10-11-2010 | 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by mels545
Hello all!
Just purchased my 1st 545i with 89K on the odometer. I've been a Bimmer owner for over 30 years and progressed from a 320 through e30 318i (for 18 yrs) e36 325i, E34 525i, and currently have a e36 95 M3 in the garage. Been able to do most the work myself.
I'm really impressed with this car and the technology that has changed in the last decade. In some respects very intimidating to work on. The available space in the e60 engine compartment really has me worried!
I've researched some of the issues that I see coming up but there's not much info on the web.

Questions for the forum:
I plan to do the 100K plugs and O2 sensors myself. The plugs look doable. Has anyone replaced the sensors? Are there procedure advice for the pre-cat sensors? These appear have very limited access. Will a standard O2 socket work, there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a socket any of the sensors.
I think my valve cover gaskets are leaking. On the 6 cyl engines this was easy but the 8 cyl. look impossible! Do I really have to drop the engine to remove the covers? Any other common oil leak sources? I've taken the under panels off and there's oil on just about everything at the rear of the engine especially the passenger side!

I used to be able to change the battery myself, but it looks like the dealer has his hand in my pocket even doing this. Do I really have to have the battery initialized?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

No, You don't need to drop the engine to replace the valve cover gaskets. It is not an easy job, but I did it myself on my 05 545i.

Common leak sources ;-) upper timing chain cover, valve cover, solenoid o-rings, camshaft sensors o-ring....
Check also for coolant leaks (vent pipes, temp sensor, valley pan)

I can give you more details if you are interested.

GL
Old 10-11-2010 | 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
Check your mechatronics this is very prone to leaking and problems in the 545.
Thanks,
Is this mechatronics thing visible for inspection? The leak appears to be motor oil as the oil level was low when I brought the car home.
Old 10-11-2010 | 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
No, You don't need to drop the engine to replace the valve cover gaskets. It is not an easy job, but I did it myself on my 05 545i.

Common leak sources ;-) upper timing chain cover, valve cover, solenoid o-rings, camshaft sensors o-ring....
Check also for coolant leaks (vent pipes, temp sensor, valley pan)

I can give you more details if you are interested.

GL
Thanks for the info.
The top and front of the engine is clean, I took off the top covers and didn't see any obvious wet areas. where are the 2 sensor and solenoid o-rings located? Is the valley pan associated with the cooling system?
I felt around the rear of the valve covers and found some oil and the drivers side cover at the back. Is one side VC seal easier to replace than the other?
Old 10-11-2010 | 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It is better just to look at the belly pan for leaks. If the pan is wet its worth tracking down and fixing.
Old 10-11-2010 | 04:38 PM
Members

My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Thanks for the info.
The top and front of the engine is clean, I took off the top covers and didn't see any obvious wet areas. where are the 2 sensor and solenoid o-rings located? Is the valley pan associated with the cooling system?
I felt around the rear of the valve covers and found some oil and the drivers side cover at the back. Is one side VC seal easier to replace than the other?

As healthservices said - track the leaks from the bottom up. Valve covers are the most common sources of leaks.

Which valve cover is easier to replace. It is really hard to tell.
Attached Thumbnails New 04 545i owner-jan10-014.jpg   New 04 545i owner-valve-cover.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010 | 06:42 PM
Members

When My wife saw these pictures she asked me if I bought a Jet!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2010 | 09:16 PM
Members

When My wife saw these pictures she asked me if I bought a Jet!!!!!!

Did you find\fixed the leaks?
Old 10-17-2010 | 07:37 AM
Members

Congratulations on your acquisition.
I have a '04 545 with 88k miles. I too find the technology interesting, but I purchased the vehicle as a daily driver, not to expand my mechanical knowledge base. Regretably, as my ownership experience has continued, I too have found it neccessary to learn more than I cared to about these cars.
As the other poster indicated, it is best to try and find where the oil is actually coming from. What I thought was an oil leak turned out to be transmission. Once you have that you should be able to find information in the DIY section on this board. The forum is pretty good, and there appears to be several of us trying not to leave all of our hard earned dollars at the dealership.

Quick Reply: New 04 545i owner