E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Needed - 545i Compressor Belt Tool #64 1 040

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Hey fellow Bimmerfolk, just looking to see if anyone in SoCal has the compressor tool available for use, rent, or purchase. I'm attempting to avoid a $130 buck hit at the independant (and a lil leary after 3 others tried and failed, in spite of my warnings about needing the tool). I was gonna purchase one but it won't be here til Monday and I was kinda rooting to do it before the weekend. Thanks family!

PS - My attempt to craft a tool was unsuccessful using the pipe cutting tool someone used as shown in some pics on the 'net.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

which tool are talking about?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
which tool are talking about?
This silly thing:

Needed - 545i Compressor Belt Tool #64 1 040-bmw-tool.jpg

It's needed to install the AC compressor stretch belt on the 545i. Infinite wisdom prompted some brain trust @ BMW to eliminate the tensioner from the AC system, and utilize a stretch belt to maintain the correct tension on the pulleys. Problem is, this tool is harder to find outside of stealerships than jimmy Hoffa.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

What engine do you have? I have the M54 and my belts are spring tensioner type. It takes like 20 min to change both belts out and I was wondering what kind of tool you are talking about. But if you have a different engine then that's a different story. BMW actually tried to go with a hydraulic tensioner instead of mechanical and when I went to the dealer they no longer carry mechanical but tried to sell me the hydraulic for about $300 (think it was a complete conversion kit) I know this is too expensive because I have 3 cars with M54 engines and 1 M52 so I picked one up for $45 and called it a day. Special tools suck but theres always a way to improvise.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...M-BMW0062.html

Assenmacher BMW0062 Assenmacher Specialty ToolsASM BMW0062
BMW A/C Compressor Drive Belt Tool

Product Code: ASM-BMW0062

Regular Price: $58.16

Sale Price: $41.54

Shipping Weight: 1.00 pounds

Features:
  • BMW A/C Compressor Drive Belt Tool. Used for installing the drive belt that is a stretch belt and no belt tensioner is used.
  • Applicable To: BMW N62 (V8) Motors in 2004 through 2006 models with the stretch belt.
  • Comparable to BMW factory tool numbers 641040 and 83800494518.
  • More economical than factory tool
  • Blue anodized, machined finish
  • Made in the USA

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

PM member HealthServices. He made one himself and it works like a charm. I should know, he used it to put my AC belt on.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Don't ask me how but I managed to put my belt back on without one, and I didn't even use screw driver lol. It was a PITA but somehow I did it. This was the most challenging part when replacing my water pump. It can be done with a lot of patience and "elbow grease." Good luck
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It was not even a 3 minute job with the tool I made.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

No one's doubting with the proper tools any job would be easy. This is a specialty tool, not one you can find at your local autoparts store. The time it would take to go out and buy a pipe cutter and fabricate it would be much more the 15 minutes it took me to do. Kudos in making one, I think a few members here did. Time to fabricate my own for future belt r&r
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
It was not even a 3 minute job with the tool I made.
Oh Healthservices.....where in SoCal are you? LOL...I may have to buy/lease/barter that lil 3 minute tool off of ya lol!

Quick Reply: Needed - 545i Compressor Belt Tool #64 1 040