E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you've been following http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38905 it probably means you don't have an LCI car. What we need is an LCI owner to show us how the tail lights look.

We need to know how to the tail lights look in the following circumstances. Also need to know which bulbs actually light up and if there are dim or bright.

1. Normal lights on.
2. With Brakes on.
3. With Fogs on.
4. With Turn indicators.
5. Lastly which bulbs always remain dimly lit. This is probably the Brake Force Display light.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi-Titanium Silver-Black Dakota-Premium Pkg-Cold Weather Pkg-Navigation-Sirius Modifications Comming Soon

Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Come on LCI owners, time for some teamwork !

(TIA)
Old 05-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Can't believe not a single LCI owner (US or EU) can help here. We don't need pictures all we need is a quick description of who your tail lights work under the different conditions.

The pre-LCI US cars were different from the EU cars because the US cars didn't have fogs lights in the rear. Also they used the bulbs in the circle as the Brake Force Display light which is the EU fog light, whereas the EU Brake Force Display light was the middle light between the circle and the Brake.

So with that in mind if an LCI owner does help please tell us where you're from.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422935' date='May 10 2007, 08:18 AM
Can't believe not a single LCI owner (US or EU) can help here. We don't need pictures all we need is a quick description of who your tail lights work under the different conditions.

The pre-LCI US cars were different from the EU cars because the US cars didn't have fogs lights in the rear. Also they used the bulbs in the circle as the Brake Force Display light which is the EU fog light, whereas the EU Brake Force Display light was the middle light between the circle and the Brake.

So with that in mind if an LCI owner does help please tell us where you're from.
It's a little tough to step on your brakes and look at your taillights at the same time, so I can't give that info. In US we don't have a rear fog so I can't help there. As for other questions, the signals flash red, at night with the headlights on the tails light up with red rods that wrap around the light that glow brighter (beautiful look--search the forum, I have seen pix of them before here). The signals have smaller, similiar type rods in them which flash when you activate or deactivate the alarm. The small LEDs on the side of the taillight (new to LCI) stay lit all the time (perhaps as part of the DRLs) and are also red. The tail lights are a work of art. I don't have a camera at work, so I can't post pix, but hopefully someone will because they did a really nice job with the lights.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights-rlr_e60.jpg

Don't need pictures.

You'll obviously need a friend to help with the brake lights.

However there are 3 sections in the tail light (see image). A circle bulb, a middle and the outer side. In the older cars all these three sections lit up dim on tail lights, the outer section became bright on normal brakes, the middle section became bright on Adaptive brake in the EU and the circle became bright with fogs in the EU and Adaptive brakes in the US.

With that said. When you switch on to normal taillights can you just see the rods light or is the circle and the middle and outer section also lit but dim?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422977' date='May 10 2007, 11:21 AM
Attachment 31952

With that said. When you switch on to normal taillights can you just see the rods light or is the circle and the middle and outer section also lit but dim?
My recollection is the latter, but I'll have to double check and let you know tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

What about any EU members.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

I'll help!
Just need a day or two to test...ok?

However, mine is a touring...but I guess that they light up the same...just a design diff.

Quick Reply: Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights