E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need opinion on module repair.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 545I
Default Need opinion on module repair.

Hey everyone, I need someones opinion on whats going on with my audio system. Im pretty sure I figured it out but I would like a second opinion incase im missing something.

I noticed one morning my CID would take a little extra time to start up, a couple of days later my CID lit up then went blank. So I read around and found out this seems to be a half common problem. I do not have iDrive, just the basic M-ASK unit, no DVD.

So I bought the DIS, SSS, NcExpert all that stuff, hooked it up and it came up saying it could not reach the module. So I pulled the module out, checked the fuse on the back, used a multimeter to check terminal 30, there was power going to the module. All fuses are ok. I took the module apart to remove a CD that was inside, put it back together and nothing changed, nothing would happen when I tryed putting the CD back inside the unit, it seems like the module is dead. The dash lights for the knob and eject button do work tho. I heard this company (BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, MFD and catalytic converters) can repair modules.

I just want to make sure its the module and not something else that I missed, I am new to BMW and there systems.

2005 BMW 545I 107,000 KM

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

More than likely you are correct but your terminology is wrong. Refer to the 'module' as the MASK unit and the display as the CID. The cars come with a mask or a CCC. The CCC being the one with navigation. Not a big deal but using those terminology makes it easier for forum members to know what you are talking about. The company you reference does modules but as I mentioned because of your terminology, modules means ECU ( engine computers, DSC computers, body modules, etc.). If they did repairs for your mask they would actually say that instead of module. Do a search for CCC repair they would be the appropriate people to repair your radio.

Mask or CCC failing is a fairly common occurrence, most people just replace with a used one. You should be able to find a used one on ebay from $200-400. It will need coding to input your VIN number, that shouldn't be an issue since you already purchased the software.

Last edited by Gee_115; 02-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 545I

Thank you very much for correcting my terminology, ill call the company to make sure they can repair the mask not a module, I did a search on ebay, they dont seem to bad, I have the stuff to program it but I am not sure if I could do it, im not 100% on how to do such task, I will read around, thanks again!