E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help with usb/aux port not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2008 528i that came with the usb/aux port in the center console. Bought the bmw y adapter to connect to my iphone. It was working fine for about 1.5 years. 3 days ago I tried listening to music on the iphone nothing...just says Aux input. Went to bmw dealer and they said it might be the wire so they put in a new one...still didn't work. I bought a new usb/aux port from bmw and want to see if I can install it myself, but I don't really know how to take the center console apart. Also does anyone have any suggestions about what to do if i change the port and it still doesn't work (play music I mean)? Thanks in advance!! =)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport M Package

I know I'm responding to an old post, but I came across this while researching why my car wasn't recognizing my iPhone anymore (Google Searched for "e60 USB not working"). So I figured I'd post my findings here to help others who come across this one too... I was disappointed because this post described my exact issue, but there was no repose.

*2008 550i*
I had the exact same issue in my car. The car use to recognized my phone and one day it just stopped working, the car just showed aux input. I had just had the software updated in my car so I thought maybe that was it, but it wasn't (according to the dealer). I also tested each cable in the car. My brother has the same setup so I used his cables, but they didn't work in my car either. Music would play out of my phone while I had it plugged in, but again the car wouldn't recognize it. I also noticed the phone would charge while it was plugged in so I knew the USB had power.

While researching this issue I came across another post on this topic and a contributor made a comment several levels deep in the discussion about resetting his phone. So I tried that. Problem solved.

I closed all apps and turned the phone off and back on. I even did the reset function by holding down the both the sleep/lock button on top of the phone and the home button until the phone turned off. When I powered the phone back up the car recognized it and all was good again.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by devink25
I know I'm responding to an old post, but I came across this while researching why my car wasn't recognizing my iPhone anymore (Google Searched for "e60 USB not working"). So I figured I'd post my findings here to help others who come across this one too... I was disappointed because this post described my exact issue, but there was no repose.

*2008 550i*
I had the exact same issue in my car. The car use to recognized my phone and one day it just stopped working, the car just showed aux input. I had just had the software updated in my car so I thought maybe that was it, but it wasn't (according to the dealer). I also tested each cable in the car. My brother has the same setup so I used his cables, but they didn't work in my car either. Music would play out of my phone while I had it plugged in, but again the car wouldn't recognize it. I also noticed the phone would charge while it was plugged in so I knew the USB had power.

While researching this issue I came across another post on this topic and a contributor made a comment several levels deep in the discussion about resetting his phone. So I tried that. Problem solved.

I closed all apps and turned the phone off and back on. I even did the reset function by holding down the both the sleep/lock button on top of the phone and the home button until the phone turned off. When I powered the phone back up the car recognized it and all was good again.
glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing your experience in this thread as well....
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535D

My aux ports not working..my phone works fine in my brothers car (2008 e60) same as mine..just not in my car..so not ohone related in my case..

not finding much help on this on the net...so still searching..