E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need Help...thinking about purchasing 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2005 545i (with 50,000 miles on) and I need some feedback from the owners on the forum.

I just want to know what the gas mileage is?considering the big 8 cylinder engine (city/highway)
Also, are there cars reliable? Do they break down a lot and are they expensive the maintain?
What is the service schedule at 75,000 and 100,000? I was trying to find a detailed maintenance schedule online but was unsuccessful.
Any info would help.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robert0637' post='571668' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2005 545i (with 50,000 miles on) and I need some feedback from the owners on the forum.

I just want to know what the gas mileage is?considering the big 8 cylinder engine (city/highway)
Also, are there cars reliable? Do they break down a lot and are they expensive the maintain?
What is the service schedule at 75,000 and 100,000? I was trying to find a detailed maintenance schedule online but was unsuccessful.
Any info would help.
Thanks in advance
Gas mileage isn't bad, but if this is a great concern to you then you are looking at the wrong car. I currently see an avg of 18 mpg on my 2004 545i. Most of my driving is around town, but I also live in a small town without a lot of long lights.

They are incredibly reliable, but when they do break they are expensive to repair. Maintenance isn't bad since the oil changes are once a year for most people. Maintenance schedule isn't published since the car will tell you when maintenance is required and it may vary depending on your driving.

Personally, I'd look for a CPO car. You pay a bit more, but the warranty gives you excellent peace of mind.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by robert0637' post='571668' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:51 AM

Any info would help.
Thanks in advance
You are looking at a great car, but NEVER own one without a warranty!! CPO is probably your best bet and extend the Maintenance warranty at the same time too!! These cars are wonderful but can be VERY expensive to repair!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what everyone else said. GET A WARRANTY!!!!! The couple grand for that is nothing compared to what the bill could be.

Make sure you get the service history of the vehicle from a BMW dealer. If its been in and out of the shop quite a few times for odds and ends chances are it will continue to be like that, find a different car or you'll be sorry/broke. If its just been in for routine maintance and maybe a few odd ball things then chances are it will continue to be a very realiable car for you.

In my 545i been avg. about 18-22 mix HWY/City. Cruising on a nice HWY you should expect a solid 25 MPG many get upper 20's and even up to about 30MPG under the right circumstances. But being a V8 and a damn fun car to drive it can suck gas down with a heavy foot. So if you drive with a heavy foot expect more like 16 to 18MPG mix.

I'd also suggest to find one with the Sport Package.

I won't pay over about 30K for 2005 545i with around 50k for miles.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='571894' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:06 PM
I agree with what everyone else said. GET A WARRANTY!!!!! The couple grand for that is nothing compared to what the bill could be.

Make sure you get the service history of the vehicle from a BMW dealer. If its been in and out of the shop quite a few times for odds and ends chances are it will continue to be like that, find a different car or you'll be sorry/broke. If its just been in for routine maintance and maybe a few odd ball things then chances are it will continue to be a very realiable car for you.

In my 545i been avg. about 18-22 mix HWY/City. Cruising on a nice HWY you should expect a solid 25 MPG many get upper 20's and even up to about 30MPG under the right circumstances. But being a V8 and a damn fun car to drive it can suck gas down with a heavy foot. So if you drive with a heavy foot expect more like 16 to 18MPG mix.

I'd also suggest to find one with the Sport Package.

I won't pay over about 30K for 2005 545i with around 50k for miles.

I agree, the 545 is a great car but you definitely want to have a warranty. I purchased mine with 24,000 miles and a clean repair history at the time. Since then I've had the following repairs done:

Compressor(Rattle)
Rear Speaker(Rattle)
Coolant Reservoir(Leaking)
Steering Wheel(Wouldn't adjust)

None of these are a big deal but would have been expensive to fix.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Any info would help.
Thanks in advance
20 mpg in mixed driving, not a Civic but very good considering the performance

Umm no and they are VERY expensive if things brake. It's a VERY complicated luxury performance foreign car, loaded with computers, sensors blah blah blah

I have a CPO 545i. Love it awesome car. Wouldn't touch it without a factory warrany. At any price.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Members

I got my 2005 545i Sport w/ SMG in Feb and still LOVE it. It gets around 19.5 MPG with normal commuting. I don't notice much difference trying to drive conservative.... WHICH IS VERY VERY HARD!. It is a great car if you want the luxury sport kind of thing. If you want the fuel efficient car...don't get it. If you want the great commuter car...don't get it. If you really want the sport feel....definitely get the sport and the SMG.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I have a 2005 545i with the six speed manual transmission. I bought it used from a BMW dealer, CPO, about 14 months ago and have put 26,000 miles on it. It now has 49,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with the car other than a couple of service bulletin items: Dunlop run flat tires, door seals and passenger air bag which did not cost me anything. I usually get around 20-23 mpg around town. However I recently drove 405 miles on a tank of gas which was 25 mpg.
It has been a great car and is a lot of fun to drive.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by robert0637' post='571668' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:51 PM

Any info would help.
Thanks in advance

Hey man - here are the facts. What everyone is saying above me is 100% accurate. I was VERY hesitant to buy a BMW, and the 04 545i is my first.
Coming from a long line of Lexus', and everyone in my family endorsing them - i was rather double minded to make the crossover.
With that said, let me say that there is NOTHING like a BMW. I really dont think I'll ever be without one, ever again.

I bought my 04 545i with 50k. I paid 26k for it last year, and it came with a 100k BMW warranty, and a 100k mile maint. package.
I'd buy an after market warranty if I had to. My car has been in the shop for a cracked/bent rim due to major potholes here in Michigan.
I also apparently wrecked a lower control arm due to another huge pothole on the highway. The cost for that thing was about 600. I was VERY happy I had a warranty to cover that expense. These cars are NOT something you take to a popshop mechanic for fixes IMO, so again - make sure to have the warranty.

I have the 6spd, and my fuel consumption city/hwy together is 20.6. You can do amazing on the highway on road trips for a V8.
Fuel consumption is a small price to pay for the power of the v8, and having the fun drivin a 5.

my .02

Z
Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by za3879' post='572843' date='May 2 2008, 02:44 AM
Hey man - here are the facts. What everyone is saying above me is 100% accurate. I was VERY hesitant to buy a BMW, and the 04 545i is my first.
Coming from a long line of Lexus', and everyone in my family endorsing them - i was rather double minded to make the crossover.
With that said, let me say that there is NOTHING like a BMW. I really dont think I'll ever be without one, ever again.

I bought my 04 545i with 50k. I paid 26k for it last year, and it came with a 100k BMW warranty, and a 100k mile maint. package.
I'd buy an after market warranty if I had to. My car has been in the shop for a cracked/bent rim due to major potholes here in Michigan.
I also apparently wrecked a lower control arm due to another huge pothole on the highway. The cost for that thing was about 600. I was VERY happy I had a warranty to cover that expense. These cars are NOT something you take to a popshop mechanic for fixes IMO, so again - make sure to have the warranty.

I have the 6spd, and my fuel consumption city/hwy together is 20.6. You can do amazing on the highway on road trips for a V8.
Fuel consumption is a small price to pay for the power of the v8, and having the fun drivin a 5.

my .02

Z
This is VERY encouraging since I will be seriously looking in another 2 to 3 months. I will want a 6sp manual 04-05 545. I already read that the V8 gets around 25/26 highway, but that was just in magazines, I'm really glad to hear what the actual mileage is. I have a somewhat heavy foot. Depending on the car that I select, I will have some type of warranty. Either BMW, or aftermarket. I know that it's a MUST have.

Mitch

Quick Reply: Need Help...thinking about purchasing 2005 545i