E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need help...cracked rim!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've already gotten lots of great info about the +/- of repair vs used wheel.

Two additional suggestions:

1. Confirm that any used wheel was not also a repaired/refinished wheel put back on the market.
2. Confirm the part number on your damaged wheel with exactly the same part number on the replacement wheel.

Lastly, some dealers provide great discounts to forum & BMWCCA members - check the price of new vs used to help make your buying decision.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Members

I'm going to look for some used ones on the web. thanks everyone for your input. for now I'll have to put my baby in the garage

As far as the 166s, if I get those, I'll have to get new tires along with it to huh? They probably won't fit right?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Ah...a cracked 124. Not really surprised - I've had 2 in my ownership of the 545. They are quite brittle it seems - no tire damage, just cracks on the inside causing slow leakage. When the first happened, I purchased another from BMW in Riverside, CA for about $450. With mounting and such, it was around $500 buckaroos for 1 new rim. When the other happened, I decided to ditch the 124's and got some aftermarket ones for about $600 for 4 from Eurostop in Northridge, CA. I've had these on the car since September, and have no vibration issues, no crack issues, and has been very stable up to about 145mph. And, they look better than the 124's IMO. They are the ones displayed in my pics. An ebay search on "E60 BMW Wheels" should give you pleanty of options. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by phocker' post='611998' date='Jun 28 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm going to look for some used ones on the web. thanks everyone for your input. for now I'll have to put my baby in the garage

As far as the 166s, if I get those, I'll have to get new tires along with it to huh? They probably won't fit right?
If you get the 166, I'm assuming they'll be 19". Seeing that your current wheels (124) are 18" then you'll need new tires for the 166.