E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need help...cracked rim!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last night i ran over some uneven pavement and cracked my rims I was wondering if I'd be better of having it repaired or buy a used one? Before I do my search online, I wanted to know the exact name of this style of rim. Could anyone help? Should I repair? I don't know how much it would be used, if anyone could throw out an accurate estimate that would save me some time. I wanted to get this taken care of today...here's a pic of my rim
Attached Thumbnails need help...cracked rim!-img_1159.jpg  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by phocker' post='611842' date='Jun 28 2008, 09:31 AM
last night i ran over some uneven pavement and cracked my rims I was wondering if I'd be better of having it repaired or buy a used one? Before I do my search online, I wanted to know the exact name of this style of rim. Could anyone help? Should I repair? I don't know how much it would be used, if anyone could throw out an accurate estimate that would save me some time. I wanted to get this taken care of today...here's a pic of my rim
Phocker....

Sorry to hear about the rim, however this is a BMW style 124 rim. However I dont know if this is the front or back rim and whether or not you have an XI or just I, as it will make a difference in what wheel you are looking to buy if you decide to go that route. You can probably pick up a used fully reconditioned one online for about $200. Also since your information doesnt tell where you live, then its also hard for someone to answer you question.

if you live in a highly populated city, then you should be able to find a place to repair your rim for you, if you live somewhere rural you may have a harder time.

Anyway I would try to find a repair shop locally then get some price quotes to see if can be repaired, and if not or too expensive try buying a reconditioned wheel online, if you dont want to go brand new

Good luck
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I replaced mine due to a small crack on the inside edge that was leaking. I have no idea what caused it. Possibly tire replacement. Those runflats are a bear to remove. I think you need to send a rim away to get it repaired and it will take a bit of time, too long for me. I am also not sure about the durability of repairing rims and preferred a new replacement. A major structural failure at high speed could be a very bad thing.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Members

The damaged rim is my rear right one. Is the wheel size different from the front? I know the tires are different sizes, front and back. Yeah I live in Dallas so I've seen repair shops. I'm going to get some quotes. I think I'd rather buy a used one. I just need to make sure I get the right wheel size if they do differ front and back. Let me know please.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='611848' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:44 AM
I replaced mine due to a small crack on the inside edge that was leaking. I have no idea what caused it. Possibly tire replacement. Those runflats are a bear to remove. I think you need to send a rim away to get it repaired and it will take a bit of time, too long for me. I am also not sure about the durability of repairing rims and preferred a new replacement. A major structural failure at high speed could be a very bad thing.
yeah mines cracked in the inside too. I also agree on the concern about durability with the repair. I'm more concerned about the structural integrity of the wheel so I might just go with replacing them with used ones. Unless the repair guys can prove they can repair it right! Lesson learned, don't drive so fast on crappy roads!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by phocker' post='611850' date='Jun 28 2008, 09:48 AM
The damaged rim is my rear right one. Is the wheel size different from the front? I know the tires are different sizes, front and back. Yeah I live in Dallas so I've seen repair shops. I'm going to get some quotes. I think I'd rather buy a used one. I just need to make sure I get the right wheel size if they do differ front and back. Let me know please.
Okay, then if you live in D-town you should be able to find plenty of places that do wheel repair. Maybe somewhere on E Beltine area as I know there's some customizin shops around there, but definitely the bad side of town... You may want to check with member mrfva "Frank" he's also from your neck of the woods.

Okay assuming you have the sport package staggered set up this is the rim you need if you buy used....

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/BMW/5+SERI...007/A-59479U20/

You may want to do a search for the BMW part number at www.realoem.com but the above link is 95% the wheel you need.

GL my man
Old 06-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='611859' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:56 AM
Okay, then if you live in D-town you should be able to find plenty of places that do wheel repair. Maybe somewhere on E Beltine area as I know there's some customizin shops around there, but definitely the bad side of town... You may want to check with member mfvra "Frank" he's also from your neck of the woods.

Okay assuming you have the sport package staggered set up this is the rim you need if you buy used....

You may want to do a search for the BMW part number at www.realoem.com but the above link is 95% the wheel you need.

GL my man
cool, thanks man.
would I have to worry about the 32 mm offset if I get the 18x9? I do have the sport package. What do you think about a repair? would you do it?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phocker' post='611860' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:02 AM
cool, thanks man.
would I have to worry about the 32 mm offset if I get the 18x9? I do have the sport package. What do you think about a repair? would you do it?
If you car is NOT an XI AND you do have the sport package, then you should have no worries with the 32mm offset as that is the correct wheel.

check this link out for more information

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=36&fg=15

again, i would try to see if you can find a shop locally that specializes rim repair or sells reconditioned wheels, you might be able to just swap wheels with them for a small fee of course. I know when I lived in houston there were several places to buy used or reconditioned wheels, so I am sure you can find the same in Dallas if you wanted to spend some time in the yellow pages, who knows you may find a place today and get it all taken care of in one day.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by phocker' post='611842' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:31 AM
i would replace it with used one over a fixed one.
Bent is okay to get fixed, but if it's cracked, then i would have to pass.

RJ
Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='611859' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:56 AM
Okay, then if you live in D-town you should be able to find plenty of places that do wheel repair. Maybe somewhere on E Beltine area as I know there's some customizin shops around there, but definitely the bad side of town... You may want to check with member mrfva "Frank" he's also from your neck of the woods.

GL my man
Thanks Tyson. Phocker, update your location in your profile. Seems that Dallas members are slooowly growing up in here. I've got a couple of bookmarks of reputable wheel repair shops, but as suggested, I'd replace the wheel.