E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 525i
Default Need Help ASAP

Hi all just wanted to say this is my first time posting so if not allowed please delete. I am a first time 2004 E60 525i owner of which I took deliver yesterday the car was purchased with a faulty battery which has been replaced today. I am noticing a 6amp power draw from the vehicle and am getting transmission, abs, airbag, cruise control errors on the I drive that where certainly not there when I purchased it when I was hunting for the cause of the problem I noticed that the driver side rear footwell is like a mini dam (very wet) i was hoping someone out there could help me as the vehicle will no longer start get all lights both turns and then no cranking with foot on the brake for last turn please help!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

We're sorry that your first post to the forum had to be a cry for help, but let's see what we can do to help you.

First of all, E60s are electronic marvels, so they rely heavily on the battery. Because of this, you can't just plunk in any battery...it has to fall within strict parameters and be coded to your car. This thread will give you a good sense of what is involved in replacing your battery.
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...attery-117656/

I can almost guarantee that the errors are being caused by a battery that doesn't meet specs. Follow the guidelines in the thread and you should be okay. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, buy the proper battery at Autozone and bring it to someone who specializes in BMW repair. I'd avoid a dealer. You'll get soaked. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 AM
New Members

Thankyou for your quick reply JayArras have noticed that the new battery from Supercheap auto doesn’t meet The CCA requirements so hopefully that’s the problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

For the wet foot well it is a clogged sun roof drain. Pull the read tires and the liner and clear the drains. Then inspect the trunk. There are lots of electronics under the spare that don't like water.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:11 PM
New Members

Thankyou the boot is dry thank god but will have to inspect the seal after work today. Does anyone know we’re to buy a correct battery in Australia?? I am finding it harder than I originally thought it would be.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by SharpSpoon94
Thankyou the boot is dry thank god but will have to inspect the seal after work today. Does anyone know we’re to buy a correct battery in Australia?? I am finding it harder than I originally thought it would be.
If you are having a hard time the dealership would be the place to go. How far are you from Alexandria. They have a sales department you can buy from or any other BMW sales department in Australia

Last edited by seanjordan20; 10-16-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

Battery Central

This where I got my last one from - delivered and removed the old one. Brisbane only I think but there will be a similar business in most capital cities.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Hi
Sorry you are having these problems but already you have received great advice

I will try and give you some help with the water
I'm Australian so I realize you drive on the right hand side

And the wet carpet will be behind you
Correct?

Under the carpet in an E60 is not like a normal car with carpet on top of the floor
There is computers and electrical equipment which is surrounded by about 2" or 5 cm of hard foam
So in fact under your carpet is a swimming pool of water that you do t realize
It evaporates a little bit as soon as more rain trickles down it is simply topping up your swimming pool

If you don't fix this situation quickly you can damage many electrical components later and also cause rust and bad earths

I do t have a sun roof in my car but found the problems was a blocked water drain under electrical box situated on the drivers side under the bonnet and under the trim
I will try and get a picture

If you look under your front drivers wheel at the rear you will see a little rubber hanging down
This is what was blocked in my car
It didn't allow the water to drain out
The water built up and then flowed throw my bonnet cable rubber which wasn't fitted correctly

You can pull his rubber drain out from under your wheel well to clean and then simply push it back in without taking out all your trim

Also
You need to remove your drivers seat
And trims to pull up your carpet
You will then see the foam and water

Find the rubber drain plugs in the floor which will allow the water to drain out of your floor

I would leave these drains out till you are sure you have fixed the leak and your carpet and foam has completely dried before refitting them

Water will not come up from the bottom as it is all protected but plastic covers under your car

The second place it could be leaking is from your sunroof in two places
The drain tube may be block which you can clear running a wire up the drain tube which you should find in your rear wheel well
But sometimes the drain tube comes disconnected under your hood lining and the water runs down into your car and boot

I hope this may help
I will try and get some pictures to show you

Good luck and please ask any questions if you need
There are wonderful people on this site to help
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Also you will have to remove the front right wheel and splash trim to get to the rubber draining tube
Need Help ASAP-photo45.jpgNeed Help ASAP-photo482.jpg
Old 10-16-2018, 05:10 PM
New Members

Wow Thankyou so much everyone for taking the time to help luckily I am located in Brisbane so I will give battery central ago. Thankyou so much for all the advice and photos it has been a really nice welcome to the e60 community and I hope as I learn more I can help other later down the track will give everyone’s advice ago and hopefully she’ll be back to running in no time. Thanks again

Last edited by SharpSpoon94; 10-16-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP