5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Need help (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/need-help-148838/)

Bimmerlat 08-23-2018 12:35 PM

Need help

Can anyone give me some advise it's a blue smoke issue
the drives fine no smoke nothing when driving. Stationary I can sometimes see a light blue
smoke only on stationary.pulling away no smoke nonpuff of smoke or anything
Left the car to idle for ten mins at home looking at pipes where I can see smoke conning out but
not a lot.,but when I rev the engine large amount puffs out.
work done
oil change
crank case vent valve
oil separator hoses
seems like this hasn't worked ,
any thoughts from anyone
thanks

seanjordan20 08-23-2018 02:22 PM

How many miles do you have on the car? What made you change the oil. Was the oil level low? Are you getting a rough idle or hearing rattling noise?

Bimmerlat 08-24-2018 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by seanjordan20 (Post 1596564)
How many miles do you have on the car? What made you change the oil. Was the oil level low? Are you getting a rough idle or hearing rattling noise?

hi
I don't know what oil was being used before I do know mobile 1 was used last service about 500
miles ago,at one stage oil wad very low as there is no indicator to show. No rough idle or rattling

Bimmerlat 08-25-2018 06:50 AM

103k on the clock

seanjordan20 08-25-2018 07:45 AM

check a spark plug for oil.

The most common reason is leaking past engine seals and into the cylinders where it then mixes and burns with the fuel.

Do you have an oil leak dripping on the exhaust? This can also cause what may look like blue smoke.

newspeed 08-26-2018 04:34 PM

bad valve stem seals. Common problem on the v8.

Bimmerlat 08-26-2018 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by newspeed (Post 1596599)
bad valve stem seals. Common problem on the v8.

done a research on this and the signs are there mines not bad at mo but will get worse over time
so question is because of cost around £2000
get this done or new recon engine? Similar figure
dilema....

Bimmerlat 08-27-2018 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1596603)
done a research on this and the signs are there mines not bad at mo but will get worse over time
so question is because of cost around £2000
get this done or new recon engine? Similar figure
dilema....

I'm going to answer my own question and get the stem seals changed this way I can get head gasket and chain guide done amongst other things with in reason, re con engine not always the best thing to do ??

newspeed 08-27-2018 05:30 AM

If your engine is in good condition I would do the repair. You will never know the history of the recon engines or what problems they might have. Always best to keep the original engine if possible.

FormerE30Owner 08-27-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1596604)
I'm going to answer my own question and get the stem seals changed this way I can get head gasket and chain guide done amongst other things with in reason, re con engine not always the best thing to do ??

Depending on how serious the problem is and how concerned you are about a small oil burning problem and local regulations, I wouldn't do anything until you see smoke all the time. That could be a while before it gets much worse, if its really only the stem seal problem.