E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need advise on Software upgrade Result

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on Software upgrade Result

I've just took my car to a local independent BMW repair shop for the complete software upgrade.
They kept the car overnight as they said my car components never been updated. (About 4-5 page items report after upgrade performed)
I glanced through the items got updated, and had green checked marked, however, there were few items with "Red" which upgrade did not success. For example, when Idrive was getting upgraded, there were about 15-20 items but one item was not success.
I think the total un-success items were 4-5 items
After I got the car back, I really can't tell the difference, however, I have found only one issues that my USB port is not reading any memory cards anymore and AUX has been grayed out and not working. I am going to take the car back to the shop and they are going to work and get this thing resolve, however, I was wondering if I should be concern about the other failure items or this is pretty much normal as all module may not accept the upgrade?
The cost was only $150 and I have been taking my car for all maintenance since past years to this shop.
They seems like they are sharp guys and knowledgeable about the mechanical part but I am not sure how much they know about software upgrade as they have just started offering that option as of 6 months ago to their customers.

Thanks for any advise or comments
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Sounds like the upgrade turned off the USB and AUX, so should be just a simple back on for them. As to you 4-5 items that are red, I guess it would depend on what they are, you didn't list them.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Depends what equipment they used to upgrade. Parts that go through MOST bus will not be upgraded unless they're using an OP(P)S or ICOM and it is BMW equipment. Most likely the modules you're experiencing with failure upgrade are on the MOST bus. As far as the AUX/USB goes it depends because you didn't list the car you have. Was it a retrofitted item or factory?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Depends what equipment they used to upgrade. Parts that go through MOST bus will not be upgraded unless they're using an OP(P)S or ICOM and it is BMW equipment. Most likely the modules you're experiencing with failure upgrade are on the MOST bus. As far as the AUX/USB goes it depends because you didn't list the car you have. Was it a retrofitted item or factory?
I have a 2008 528I. The USB/AUX are factory items.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Yes for an 08 the USB/AUX are factory but is that all you want to share? Anyway take it back looks like the MOST bus failed to program these items into your CCC or they did not do a "complete encoding" afterward
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Yes for an 08 the USB/AUX are factory but is that all you want to share? Anyway take it back looks like the MOST bus failed to program these items into your CCC or they did not do a "complete encoding" afterward
Ok, I finally got the car back. They end up replacing a module as they could not get any communication with their tools.
Here is the information I got maybe that more sense to you guys:
The ISTA/P version 48.2.002
There was one item with X, SZM, with result/ fault code: "Global Vehicle Communications. CoAPI.2081- Authentication error, type Syc, with part number prog.ECU old: 9169521 and part number prog.ECU new 9183233

Also, one warning on "Initializing rear power window regulator"

Here is the last page summary:
It will show the ULF-SBX replaced successfully
Update integration level successful
Vehicle order alignment, successful

The Following control module have not responded or responded incorrectly:
SZM, The programming status is 12. The control module could not be identify X

Concluding work order:
1- SZM (Program P)
2- SZM (Code C)
3- (Initializing rear power window regulator)
4- After completion of programming/ encoding, pair the mobile phone in accordance with the operating instruction

Any suggestion as according to the techs that is not a very major things?