E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need advice on whether and which BMW to buy and love and hold till dea

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.
Hi all,
This is my first post, and I'm looking for and will greatly appreciate y'all's expert opinions.

Background: My favorite car that I ever owned was my very first, a bright red 1969 MGB convertible, manual tranny. I sold it when I got married in 1971 and bought a Toyota Corona Mk II (no snickering, please). Since then I've driven mainly Toyotas, one Acura TL, one VW Rabbit (the biggest lemon of 1975) and more recently Lexuses. My wife drives a 2007 ES350 and I, a 2004 RX330. I've hated that car from day one (it's a boring, girly car), but bought it to avoid neck surgery. Now, I want to replace it with a car that's fun to drive -- while I'm still young enough to enjoy a car that hugs the road, corners like a race car, and takes off like a rocket when you depress the accelerator (without the lag of say, a Lexus LS460 8 cylinder).

I'm looking at buying my first BMW -- a new, 2010 535i (which my local dealer tells me is the last of the model, and not the new, totally re-modeled car about which everyone is raving, which he says is the 2011 model), which the dealer says will be in the showroom within a few weeks. But, in perusing the posts in this and other fora, I've seen lots of posts claiming that the A/C in Bimmers is bad, slow, weak, and, in general, not adequate for hot American climates. This could be a killer for my desire to buy a BMW instead of a Lexus, since summer temps in Dallas often go above 100 degrees F. Can anyone give me information and/or your opinion (based on published data or your own experience) regarding the ability of Bimmers in general and 535i's in particular, to cool the car on a hot Texas (or other southern state) summer day? How effective is the A/C, how cool, how long to cool the car, does it break down after a few years of use?

I've also looked at buying a used (2007-2008) 750i or 750iL, which is apparently priced about the same as a new 535i. Just this morning, I spoke to a guy who pulled up to Starbucks in his recent 530i, and advised me that he leases BWM's (which he loves) rather than buying them outright, because they begin to fall apart after 3-4 years. Even if still under warranty, it is a huge pain I.T.B. to have to bring the car in for warranty service every other week. One of my clients told me the other day that when he owned his old 2002/3 5xx, within 3 years, he brought the car in for warranty service 37 times.

I am falling in love with BMW and want to purchase (not lease) one (so please don't blow me off rudely telling this old guy to stick with Lexus, which never breaks, but which feels like driving your mother's overstuffed sofa). I would really, really, really, appreciate very much y'all's opinions and advice regarding buying a new 535i vs. a used (2007-2008 < 25k miles) 750. I know what's wonderful about the Bimmer. Just tell me: new 5 vs. used 7 and why, and two, will I be able to keep this car 6-9 years (I can get a dealer-equivalent warranty up to 100k miles with no year limitation, from GEICO), or will I be living in the dealer's repair shop as my second home? Is the A/C adequate for a Dallas summer (temp. up to 105 degrees F)? I really want to buy a BMW (when I'm 75-80 I can go back to driving a Lexus sofa - meanwhile I WANT TO LIVE a little. Will you guys please help me and (hopefully) put my mind to rest. Please be honest and serious, and don't make fun of me.
Many, many thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='885699' date='May 21 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post, and I'm looking for and will greatly appreciate y'all's expert opinions.

Background: My favorite car that I ever owned was my very first, a bright red 1969 MGB convertible, manual tranny. I sold it when I got married in 1971 and bought a Toyota Corona Mk II (no snickering, please). Since then I've driven mainly Toyotas, one Acura TL, one VW Rabbit (the biggest lemon of 1975) and more recently Lexuses. My wife drives a 2007 ES350 and I, a 2004 RX330. I've hated that car from day one (it's a boring, girly car), but bought it to avoid neck surgery. Now, I want to replace it with a car that's fun to drive -- while I'm still young enough to enjoy a car that hugs the road, corners like a race car, and takes off like a rocket when you depress the accelerator (without the lag of say, a Lexus LS460 8 cylinder).

I'm looking at buying my first BMW -- a new, 2010 535i (which my local dealer tells me is the last of the model, and not the new, totally re-modeled car about which everyone is raving, which he says is the 2011 model), which the dealer says will be in the showroom within a few weeks. But, in perusing the posts in this and other fora, I've seen lots of posts claiming that the A/C in Bimmers is bad, slow, weak, and, in general, not adequate for hot American climates. This could be a killer for my desire to buy a BMW instead of a Lexus, since summer temps in Dallas often go above 100 degrees F. Can anyone give me information and/or your opinion (based on published data or your own experience) regarding the ability of Bimmers in general and 535i's in particular, to cool the car on a hot Texas (or other southern state) summer day? How effective is the A/C, how cool, how long to cool the car, does it break down after a few years of use?

I've also looked at buying a used (2007-2008) 750i or 750iL, which is apparently priced about the same as a new 535i. Just this morning, I spoke to a guy who pulled up to Starbucks in his recent 530i, and advised me that he leases BWM's (which he loves) rather than buying them outright, because they begin to fall apart after 3-4 years. Even if still under warranty, it is a huge pain I.T.B. to have to bring the car in for warranty service every other week. One of my clients told me the other day that when he owned his old 2002/3 5xx, within 3 years, he brought the car in for warranty service 37 times.

I am falling in love with BMW and want to purchase (not lease) one (so please don't blow me off rudely telling this old guy to stick with Lexus, which never breaks, but which feels like driving your mother's overstuffed sofa). I would really, really, really, appreciate very much y'all's opinions and advice regarding buying a new 535i vs. a used (2007-2008 < 25k miles) 750. I know what's wonderful about the Bimmer. Just tell me: new 5 vs. used 7 and why, and two, will I be able to keep this car 6-9 years (I can get a dealer-equivalent warranty up to 100k miles with no year limitation, from GEICO), or will I be living in the dealer's repair shop as my second home? Is the A/C adequate for a Dallas summer (temp. up to 105 degrees F)? I really want to buy a BMW (when I'm 75-80 I can go back to driving a Lexus sofa - meanwhile I WANT TO LIVE a little. Will you guys please help me and (hopefully) put my mind to rest. Please be honest and serious, and don't make fun of me.
Many, many thanks

Welcome!!

I would get the 535 for sure. Having test driven a 7 series before my 545 purchase, I can say that I love the balance of sedan meets sports car that the 5 provides. The 7 was very nice but very big and very distant (if that makes sense??)..... The 5 has all the room I need, great road feel and plenty of power as well. I haven't regreted it one second.

As far as the A/C goes......... Mine is great. I live through the summers here in LR quite well with it. In fact, most people that ride with me complain that it's TOO cold!! Others may chime in on this issue but for me it works great.

Good luck with your decision!!

B
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='885699' date='May 21 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

Many, many thanks
Get the 535, you'll love it.
As for the AC, i've had BMW's for the past 10 years and not once have i complained on the AC of the car. My 535's AC is so cold that you might as well be in a freezer room.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributors

When I bought my 545i I was torn between it and a 745i. I think if you believe that your Lexus is like driving a sofa, then you'll think that too when comparing a 5 vs a 7. The 7 is a hugely dynamic drive compared to a Lexus, but the 5 is streets ahead when compared to the 7. You mentioned depreciation in your earlier post. The 7 will suffer worse depreciation compared to the 5. Even if you're buying it second hand, it'll still drop faster. There comes a point (I think it's around 4 years old) where any 7 model (e.g. 745) matches the second hand price of it's 5 brother (e.g. 545). That's despite the 7 having been considerably more expensive when it was new.

The 5 is a much more sports-car like drive than the 7 (and any Lexus except perhaps the IS-F). The one I got which doesn't have sports suspension corners better than my previous car (Audi A6) which did have OEM sports suspension. I assume you already sat in the 5 at the showroom and found it spacious enough. The rear legroom isn't very good at all, but I hardly ever have rear passengers so I can live with that. The 7's always have good rear legroom because quite often the owner is the one sitting in the back.

Bear in mind that the new model will arrive in the US in about 16-17 months time and that might affect resale values of the E60 models. It's not a huge evolutionary design change though, so that shouldn't be as bad as when the E39 became the E60 and the E39 instantly looked dated.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

I have owned a few BMWs before, and they have served me very well. Currently I am driving around with 2008 535i, and very happy with it. Although I enjoyed my M3 in the past, it was a bit too small. The 7 series are too big for my taste. Thats my 2 cents, hope you find it helpful. vince.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Great post consultingdoc and welcome to the forum.

A fine used E65/66 (750i/750iL) 2007 - 2008 is not a bad idea at all,
the price have now came down do to the new F01 (the new 7-series).

A new 5-series in to be introduced this fall (F10), in the showroom
next spring, so a new E60 is not a good idea at all.

A damned good car it is though, the LCI E60.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='885699' date='May 21 2009, 11:07 AM
while I'm still young enough to enjoy a car that hugs the road, corners like a race car, and takes off like a rocket when you depress the accelerator (without the lag of say, a Lexus LS460 8 cylinder).

That can only be the ///M5

Edit: Let me fix this post before some members get their panties in a twist and yell at me for saying M5 when you only asked for 535 or 745.

I'm only kidding!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

Go for the 535. I'm one that sleeps in Chicago winters with the windows opened and the ceiling fan running on full blast when I'm back in Alabama, and the AC is totally fine. If someone said the AC was weak, then they may not have set the AC settings through the iDrive correctly.

The 535 is incredible, but if you can go for the M5, definitely go for that. If you plan on modding the car, I personally wouldn't get an M5 since you may offset the incredible balance the M division had the car at when you bought it. It may not be true, but that's how I would feel changing parts on a $100k car that's already a monster.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

As a new 545i owner, i would go for the 5 series over the 7 series any day.

If fun is what you are looking for, you want something that weighs less, has a smaller wheel base, and doesn't feel like a 'sofa'.
All of which are obtained in a 535i. That new twin turbo motor is pumping out plenty of horsepower and torque to keep any enthusiast happy. And overall the dynamics of the car are great.

My first car was a 1998 M3. I bought it used in 2004 with 75,000 miles on the clock. I just sold it about a month ago, and could not be happier with how well the car held up or how long my M3 lasted. Just last year was when I finally needed to replace the A/C control unit in the car, mind you she was almost 11 years old (12/1997 build date). Other than that, the car ran as well with 150,000 miles on it, as it did when it had 75,000 miles. I live in the Southern California desert, where summer after summer it will consistently hit 120+ degrees every day, and my A/C never let me down.

You definitely will not be disappointed with a 5 series purchase. I know I am not regretting mine at all.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

I've never driven a 535 so I can't help you there but I can tell you that the A/C on my 550i has NEVER been a problem in Atlanta where it gets pretty hot/humid during the summer. My wife always complains that it is too cool.

I have previoulsy driven a couple of different Lexus models (GS430 and LS430) as well as Audi and so far my BMW is the most trouble free car I've owned. I've had many fewer issues with this car than with either Lexus. The worst car I've ever had was my Audi A6 4.2. Of course I've only had it about 29 months (on a 36 month lease) so I can't comment about longevity.

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether and which BMW to buy and love and hold till dea