E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Should i keep it or sell it?
Fix it and keep it
72.73%
Fix it and sell it
18.18%
Sell it as is
27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

need advice to sell or keep e60 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need advice to sell or keep e60 545i

Hi all, i have an 2004 e60 545i. I bought it used for $13000, it had 190000km, but i thought its a bmw so its still good. i have always wanted a bmw so when i saw the car and the price, i bought it. I like how the car looks it doesn't look outdated. I immediately got the oil changed at mr.lube because the independent bmw shop that i made an appointment in was 2 weeks away. The car drove good. Then when i got to my independent bmw shop i asked them to take a look and fix whatever needs fixing.

They change the engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, water pump, transmission pan (small crack) rear window weather trim (was cracking, the rubber around the rear glass) air airfilter, alternator, hood release cable, transmission ( i had it rebuilt because it had no reverse and other problems) new brakes and rotors

I then had an m5 body kit installed and 20inch rims and new tires then i took it to restore fx to get the paint looking like new, its like a new clear coat which removes all swirl and scratches. It looks really good and new now. So i spent a lot already on this car hoping i would keep it forever because i already change or replaced most parts. But then while driving the car just died in traffic, it was embarrassing! It would not start up but eventually after 30min. It started again. I drove it home and put it to sleep and hooked up battery charger, and cancelled my insurance put storage insurance in it. Its been in the garage for 8months now. I tried starting it but it doesn't even crank but stereo lights all work and battery is full charged. I called my inde bmw shop they said it could be the starter, new battery, software update, they need to check it first. Also new things that need to be replaced they said is all the valve cover gaskets in the engine like 3 i think it was the one by the water pump and 2 on the engine, i forgot what it was, but the price including labour was $1800 plus tax. Last time i was there they said it was leaking oil so they need to change them and clean the plastic cover underneath.

So im here now thinking if i should sell it or keep it? If i sell it as is i would lose a lot of money. Or should i spend another $2000 getting all the gaskets replaced and then get the starter replaced, software update etc...

If i keep it and get all those problems fixed do you guys think there could be anything else wrong in the future? I think i already change a lot of parts and all oil and liquids in this car. I never thought bmw was like this. But i still like it when its working. Right now i drive an 09 mercedes c230. No problems with it at all. I wanted to keep these two cars for as long as i can and nit buy a new car. And i like my independent bmw shop they don't charge me for diagnostics and nice guys and busy shop.

Please help me out any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by shaunm; 08-11-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

First, welcome to the forums, ShaunM. The 545i is an amazing machine, but it is not the most reliable toolin the BMW toolbox of cars. Lets start with the basics.

Your car was running, then died while running, leaving you stranded. It would not start again for about 30 minutes, at which point you drove it home and parked it. Is that right? Why are they focusing on the starter? It sounds like the starter did its job - you were in a running car that died. During that 30 minute period, did it simply not crank up again? Did it crank and not start? It sounds like possibly 2 seperate issues - one that caused you to die while running, and one that prevents you from starting again. Lets focus on the former.

A 4-stroke engine needs 1) intake (fuel+air) 2) compression 3) power (correctly timed ignition of the fuel+air mixture) 4) exhaust (way to expell burnt/waste gasses). An engine that has failed while running has had an interruption in one of these 4 strokes. Most times, the interruption happens at stroke 1 due to fuel loss (bad/faulty fuel pump or faults in the injector circuits) or stroke 3 due to an ill-timed or missed spark. From your description, and without seeing the car, it seems like you had an interruption with either fuel or spark. Did the car sputter and die, or did it simply shut down as if you turned it off while running?

There is a module called the Integrated (voltage) Supply Module (IVM). It resides with the DME and VVT modules in the ebox housing, located under the passenger-side(LHD cars) cabin air filter assembly box. This unit has fuses and electronics to control the ignition circuits. It is a comparatively cheap (around $150 US or so), but has been known to wreck havoc on E60s when faulty - including shut downs and no start conditions. On a different huntch, have you tried using your second key (assuming you still have it). It is a huge stretch, but perhaps a problem with EWS/CAS/DME alignment. Thats a reach though. Keep us posted and best wishes!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
New Members

hi thanks for the reply, yes thats right. it did crank but would not start. The car just died like you turned it off. but now i tried starting it and it would not even crank. and i think the brake is stuck. i cant press on the brake anymore.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

If there is binding in your brake pedal, you may not be able to start it (The car requires depression of the brake to do so). If the brake pedal switch has failed, you'll have problems. When pressed, do the brake lights illuminate?

Pretty interesting to have the brake locked. Is it simply a hard pedal? There is no boost assistance so the pedal will be hard. Have the IVM checked if you can.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

This gonna be an interesting thread. I am with Advancedlogic sounds like fuel pump. Keep us updating
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM
New Members

Ok i will check the brake light when i get home. Thanks.
Sure i will keep you guys updated. Fuel pump could be. Il do some search on it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM
New Members

I will check the ivm. I hope thats the problem.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by shaunm
Hi all, i have an 2004 e60 545i. I bought it used for $13000, it had 190000km, but i thought its a bmw so its still good. i have always wanted a bmw so when i saw the car and the price, i bought it. I like how the car looks it doesn't look outdated. I immediately got the oil changed at mr.lube because the independent bmw shop that i made an appointment in was 2 weeks away. The car drove good. Then when i got to my independent bmw shop i asked them to take a look and fix whatever needs fixing.

They change the engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, water pump, transmission pan (small crack) rear window weather trim (was cracking, the rubber around the rear glass) air airfilter, alternator, hood release cable, transmission ( i had it rebuilt because it had no reverse and other problems) new brakes and rotors

I then had an m5 body kit installed and 20inch rims and new tires then i took it to restore fx to get the paint looking like new, its like a new clear coat which removes all swirl and scratches. It looks really good and new now. So i spent a lot already on this car hoping i would keep it forever because i already change or replaced most parts. But then while driving the car just died in traffic, it was embarrassing! It would not start up but eventually after 30min. It started again. I drove it home and put it to sleep and hooked up battery charger, and cancelled my insurance put storage insurance in it. Its been in the garage for 8months now. I tried starting it but it doesn't even crank but stereo lights all work and battery is full charged. I called my inde bmw shop they said it could be the starter, new battery, software update, they need to check it first. Also new things that need to be replaced they said is all the valve cover gaskets in the engine like 3 i think it was the one by the water pump and 2 on the engine, i forgot what it was, but the price including labour was $1800 plus tax. Last time i was there they said it was leaking oil so they need to change them and clean the plastic cover underneath.

So im here now thinking if i should sell it or keep it? If i sell it as is i would lose a lot of money. Or should i spend another $2000 getting all the gaskets replaced and then get the starter replaced, software update etc...

If i keep it and get all those problems fixed do you guys think there could be anything else wrong in the future? I think i already change a lot of parts and all oil and liquids in this car. I never thought bmw was like this. But i still like it when its working. Right now i drive an 09 mercedes c230. No problems with it at all. I wanted to keep these two cars for as long as i can and nit buy a new car. And i like my independent bmw shop they don't charge me for diagnostics and nice guys and busy shop.

Please help me out any advice is appreciated.

It will help it you tell us how much you have spent in fixing the car only.. not the modifications, wheels etc.. but just fixing all the stuff you have got fixed so far after purchasing the car for $13K.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

Well wish you luck my trying to sell my friend which I think you ain't going o get much if the car don't start . You purchase it for $ 13,000 with 190,000 miles ?? if that's the case you way over paid my friend . I suggest for you to keep it . You are already in the whole with everything that you have fix so far so why not spend other $ 2000 itch fix . Kep it . And put some pic up of the car . Good luck
Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by almandee26
Well wish you luck my trying to sell my friend which I think you ain't going o get much if the car don't start . You purchase it for $ 13,000 with 190,000 miles ?? if that's the case you way over paid my friend . I suggest for you to keep it . You are already in the whole with everything that you have fix so far so why not spend other $ 2000 itch fix . Kep it . And put some pic up of the car . Good luck
Not miles - 190,000 km. Roughly 118,000 miles on that OD, which translates to approx 13,100 miles/year (barely above standard lease restrictive miles). Very few cars in the $17k range will provide as much comfort, power, convenience, handling, prestige, and smiles as an E60. I say $17k to account for $4k in repair costs. Even $7k in repair costs to restore the car to reliable condition may very well be worth the smiles. With module coding in the hands of enthusiasts, retrofits to maximize options can now be had relatively cheaply, with no dealer BS about coding the whole car. Since I've owned my 09/03 build, I've upgraded telematics to 2007 version, added navigation with traffic, added sat radio, CD changer, etc all coded with my ole laptop. Combined, those modules cost me roughly $1300. When i first got the car in 06, the dealer quoted me $4000 just for a nav retrofit.

Last edited by advancedlogic; 08-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: need advice to sell or keep e60 545i