E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need advice - Getting back to BMW looking at E60s.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Former 330CiC Owner looking for another BMW
Default Need advice - Getting back to BMW looking at E60s.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice here. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I just sold my 2007 Camry which was a really boring secondary car and really want to get back to a BMW. In the past I had a 2001 330Ci Convertible with a manual transmission which I got rid of when my son was born for something family friendly. I'm looking for something that can easily haul two little ones and still be fun to drive.

I keep reading what seems like endless posts on automatic transmission failures beyond 100k miles (and the 530 is tough to find in a manual transmission in my area) as well as CIC/CCC failures not to mention all the issues with the 8 cylinder models.

Anyway do you guys have any advice or recommendations on a solid aftermarket warranty company other than CPO? I know they are out there since I had one one my 330CiC which worked out great and paid for it's self a few times over.

Thanks for your advice!

Todd
Old 11-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

You can try finding an E61 touring wagon that would be great for a growing family, but a manual is rarer than hen's teeth. Have you considered maybe an X1?

I've been told that Route 66 is one of the best aftermarket warranties out there but have no personal experience with them.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Former 330CiC Owner looking for another BMW

Hi Jay, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought about the X3 or the X5 for quite a while and decided that since I will be keeping my Ford Explorer I have SUV side of things covered.

How common are the auto transmission failures in the E60 around 150k miles?

I see you have a 530XI with the manual.. I've seen more of the XI models with manual than the I for some reason.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Toddinlou

I see you have a 530XI with the manual.. I've seen more of the XI models with manual than the I for some reason.
Actually they're more rare... Can't comment on the auto since I've never owned an automatic transmission car in almost 50 years of driving.