E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igord' post='479623' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:28 PM
See attached image
I have this on my car too, very useful. But I think you only get it if you order the "non-smoking" package.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='479219' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:07 AM
Try holding the lock button on the remote as well - seems to be press once to lock, then press and hold - windows up.

I was jsut going to ask that question...good to know that the global "open" with the key fob is a global "close" as well (all windows and Sunroof).
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='479221' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:08 AM
That only works outside of North America... :thumbsdown:

Oh darn Rudy, I was just getting excited about reading the previous thread about the global close feature with key FOB....should still work with the key inserted into the driver's lock (and held in the forward position) though? Wonder if a dealer coud "activate" the global close for a US customer?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='479638' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:52 PM
Not on all cars though -- it depends on the options you have.

My 2004 car had the "compartment" there but my 2008 car does not...
Grrrr. Same for me. My '06 530i had that compartment that I used to tuck a few microfiber towels in. I went to transfer my towels from the 530i to my '08 M5 and was surprised.

First of all, the *door* to the compartment is still there but when you open the door there's no storage hole!
Must be a "Winchester Mystery House" option....

-Tony
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='479701
Grrrr. Same for me. My '06 530i had that compartment that I used to tuck a few microfiber towels in. I went to transfer my towels from the 530i to my '08 M5 and was surprised.

First of all, the *door* to the compartment is still there but when you open the door there's no storage hole!
Must be a "Winchester Mystery House" option....

-Tony
I'm not sure if it's a specific option that we have that takes away that compartment or if it's something new with the LCI cars. What options do you have that are common to my options?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a timely trick for those of you with the sports automatic transmission...

If you're like me and came from an SMG car, you use manual sport mode pretty much all of the time. With winter coming up, I was trying to figure out how to start out in second gear (the SMG let you upshift to second while stopped) but every time I upshifted to second while stopped, the car would go right back to first before I had a chance to move.

I just recently discovered that the only way to start off in second gear using manual mode is to turn of the sport mode! Time to bring on the snow!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic 07' 550i

Are there any tricks to prevent my passengers from unlocking their locked doors by pulling the door handle twice?

Just kinda irks me when I am not yet done parking and unlocking all doors, there'll be some passengers who seem to be in a rush to get out of the car...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Here's a trick. When passing several consecutive tunnels and you have the auto rear window screen, press down every time you enter a tunnel and press up when you come out of the tunnel...people in cars behind you think that the sun screen is solar powered they look in amazement! It's fun to see their expressions! (Sorry, I've actually only done this once to "trick" some kids...this is the "Neat trick" thread, after all!)
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='479781' date='Oct 10 2007, 06:58 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -- I don't think you'll get any US dealer to activate this feature (I don't think it's even possible to do with the US based software...) The all close feature does work with the key in the door or, if you have comfort access, you can hold your hand on the lock area of the door handle and everything will close.
I'm not sure if it's a specific option that we have that takes away that compartment or if it's something new with the LCI cars. What options do you have that are common to my options?
I have an August 07 production 535d and the compartment is there on mine. All my options are in my sig.

Cheers

Barry
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Members

Changing Cruise Control Speed

You can alter the cruise control speed at 5mph increments (instead of the usual 1), by pushing or pulling the cruise control stick further than usual. Think of it like the new style indicators where you push slightly for them to work temporary and push harder (until you feel the click) for them to lock on. Push the cruise control stick forward (for faster) and back until it clicks to give you 5Mph increments.

Sorry if this is a lame tip, but I thought it could be done and didn't know how until I found it by mistake.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!