E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

This "trick" isn't a driving one, rather it's a cleaning one that's so simple I thought "why didn't I think of that" when I first heard it.

When you clean your windows, wipe the outside of the glass horizontally and the inside of the glass vertically (or vice-versa; doesn't matter as long as you're consistent). If you see streaking or film, you'll know by its orientation whether it's inside or outside the glass.

Lou
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

I think I had the car 6 months before I realized there is a power outlet in the passenger footwell.
Also, holding down the unlock button on remote will lower all windows and open sunroof.
And there is a hand grab area inside the trunk which lets you close the trunk without touching the paint. You need to turn your hand upside down and pull it towards you.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Natural Brown Leather, NAV, Active Steering, Cold-Weather Package, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter. Build completed Sep , 2007.

Turning off tilt alarm and interior motion sensor

This is almost verbatim from the manual, still I found this fairly useful (when I lived in LA and parked in a "secured" lot I used to leave the windows open somewhat for ventilation, sometimes sudden gusts of wind would trigger the alarm - I wish I had read the manual sooner):

"Press the LOCK button on the remote control again as soon as the vehicle is locked.

The indicator lamp light up briefly (solid) and then flashes continuously. The tilt alarm sensor and interior motion sensor are now switched off until the next time the vehicle is unlocked and subsequently locked again."

P.S. it would be nice if BMW had an option (like Mazda, Lexus and Audi) or better yet standard feature to have a "solar sunroof" using similar photovoltaic technology that could charge the battery and let one use the A/C while the car is parked (especially long term), that timed A/C feature is not nearly as useful.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Geo
Members

My Ride: 530i

Here is another useless trick that I just stumbled onto... If you have your automatic transmission in "D", the transmission will prevent you from drifting backwards on a hill. If you switch over to Manual - i.e., Gear 1 or 2, you can drift backwards ...
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='479219' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:07 PM
Try holding the lock button on the remote as well - seems to be press once to lock, then press and hold - windows up.
Comfort Access allows you to lock the doors, close the windows & sunroof by touching, or even leaning against any of the door handles.......yep, you can lock up your car with your butt.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='478777' date='Oct 7 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi all, I've come across a couple of very useful tricks recently buried within certain threads on this forum. I thought it might be a good idea to put them altogether in one place? These are the two I've picked up over the last few days. It's the kind of thing that if you've read the manual you probably know about it already. But if like me you got bored after page 473 and stopped reading, things like this make a huge difference to how I use the car!

So, here are two to start us off...

1) Pressing "Stop/Start" without foot on the brake. Doing this allows you to cycle through the different stages of ignition on your car, in the same way you used to be able when you had a key (which had multiple positions). This is especially useful if you have items powered by the cigarette lighters which don't usually come on until you start the engine. Hit the "start" button without your foot on a pedal and the electronics will power up, without starting the engine.

2) Holding "iDrive knob" in a direction for 1 second. Doing this allows you to jump straight to another menu without having to navigate back to the main screen. E.g., if you are in "entertainment" (down) and want to go to "Navigation", just hold the knob to the right for one second. When you've finished, pull it towards you for one seond, and you're back in entertainment. This one has saved me so much time...

... so, any more?
Tried the IDrive one this morning - as you say it saves time.

Also toggled through the vent setttings.

This sort of stuff is really helpful. With my last car I found out after nearly 5 years of ownership that I could remotely open and close the windows from the key fob - durrr!

Keep 'um coming!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Members

I'm embarrassed to post this... I was putting groceries in the trunk last night and finally opened the covered door on the left side of the trunk, below the storage tray. It was a storage compartment!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Members

where is the power outlet you speak of in the passenger footwell? is this a standard plug?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Natural Brown Leather, NAV, Active Steering, Cold-Weather Package, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter. Build completed Sep , 2007.

Originally Posted by jaxen112' post='479621' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:22 PM
where is the power outlet you speak of in the passenger footwell? is this a standard plug?
See attached image
Attached Thumbnails "Neat tricks" thread!-footwell.jpg  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='479559' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:58 PM
I'm embarrassed to post this... I was putting groceries in the trunk last night and finally opened the covered door on the left side of the trunk, below the storage tray. It was a storage compartment!
Not on all cars though -- it depends on the options you have.

My 2004 car had the "compartment" there but my 2008 car does not...

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!