E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigaton and POI input

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Everyone,
I've had my '05 525 for a couple weeks now, basic car, auto, premium, nav.
I've been trying to figure out how to input a destination by using points of interest. I think either the BMW nav doesn't do what I want it to, or maybe my wife's land cruiser has spoiled me with its nav system. I asked the guy when i bought the car, of course he said "sure, it can do that".
Anyway, I'll describe what I want to do by illustrating how I can do it on my Land Cruiser Nav:
I'm in San Diego. I want to go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I live here and I don't even know what town its in. I hit destination, then POI, then San Diego Wild, and it pops up for me to select it as destination.
On my BMW Nav, to do the same thing, I have to enter the name of the town to get started, if i don't now the precise name, i'm out of luck. If i put just san diego, i get a list of public attractions starting from, i guess, the geographic center of town, and then moving out from there. The Wild Animal Park never shows up (its about 30+ miles from downtown, still san diego county though). I can't search by place or attaction name like the Toyota system, and then all the results i get are sorted by distance from the center of town it looks like.
On Mother's Day, i wanted instructions to get to Benihana's in San Diego. I hit desination, by POI, then i had to enter the state, then the city, then POI, restaurants, then asian, then i had to scroll and scroll and scroll until Benihana's showed up. If it had been more than a couple miles from the center of town i don't know how i would have found it (besides looking it up on mapquest and then inputting the exact street address).
So, is there something I'm missing here? Or is the Land Cruiser system better at getting you somewhere if all you have is a name?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Mark, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, you seem to have things figured out pretty well with regard to operating the nav and getting POIs to come up.

This exact issue was discussed within the last few days in this thread and it's been discussed in the past before.

It's clear that BMW needs to add some functionality to the nav interface to bring it up to the level of the Japanese manufacturers...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Rudy,
Darn, I swear I looked in the other posts before I posted! Thanks for sending me in the right direction.
Mark

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 07:48 AM
Mark, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, you seem to have things figured out pretty well with regard to operating the nav and getting POIs to come up.

This exact issue was discussed within the last few days in this thread and it's been discussed in the past before.

It's clear that BMW needs to add some functionality to the nav interface to bring it up to the level of the Japanese manufacturers...
[snapback]127526[/snapback]