E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation System - Weak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Why can't I locate a store / restaurant by name? You know, enter the name the iDrive and the Nav system locates it.

2. Why is there not a page that displays the directions in a "text" format as opposed to just looking at the map?

My cheap Garmin 2610 or the one in a Hertz rental have both those capabilities plus some. Whats the deal?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 AM
Members

I can't answer the first question but yes you can get a list of the directions in a text format. It is in the line above the where you set you heading and route preference.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Item 1 was included in all earlier BMW NAV systems. For some reason the newer E60 Nav is missing this important feature. It's been talked about here ad nauseum.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='307457' date='Jul 6 2006, 02:12 PM
Item 1 was included in all earlier BMW NAV systems. For some reason the newer E60 Nav is missing this important feature. It's been talked about here ad nauseum.
It still IS available.

Navigate by "Information".

ABC
Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='307460' date='Jul 6 2006, 09:16 AM
It still IS available.

ABC
That only gives you a listing of destinations. Unlike the MkI-MkIII Carin BMW Nav systems where you could type in the name of the destination. For example the current system lets you list all the hotels in the area and then you must scroll through the list. While the earlier systems would let you type in 'Inn at Little Washington'.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It still IS available.

Incorrect.

"Navigation by Information" returns a list of POIs within a selected category, sorted by distance.

This is not the same as a "search by name" feature.... which, by the way, has been standard on every GPS system I have ever owned, going back to the late 1990s.

Let me give you a personal example for why Nav by Info is not always sufficient:

I live in the Orlando, FL area. Orlando is, as you probably know, one of the worlds largest tourist destinations. I wanted to play golf at the Ritz-Carlton Club, which has an excellent Greg Norman designed course. It is located just south of Orlando, at the Ritz-Carlton/JW Marriott Grande Lakes Resort.

I had not been there before, so I tried to locate the hotel in my GPS. I began by going to Navigation, then by Information. Next I chose Info on Destination, and I entered Orlando as the city. I then search for Hotels, and I get a list of hotels in Orlando, sorted by distance from downtown. So far, so good.... right?

Wrong. Do you have any idea how many hotels are in Orlando? We have got more f^%&ing hotels here than any place on Earth. So I have to manually scroll through a HUGE list of hotels, which are sorted by distance. This means I can't sort by name to get an alphabetical listing. If I could alphabetitze the list, then I could easily find Marriott by scrolling to the M listings. But sorted by distance means I have to look at every freaking entry until I see what I want.

When I had the very first Lexus GPS system, on an old LS400 years ago..... all I would have to do was enter Orlando as my city, and then spell out Marriott. Boom, there is it. Hit destination, and start driving. But not so for a BMW purchased almost a decade later. This is absolutely, 100% unacceptable. I can't believe that a company which develops such prestigious cars would omit such a basic feature. It is shameful.... no other way to describe it.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='307453' date='Jul 6 2006, 08:06 AM
I can't answer the first question but yes you can get a list of the directions in a text format. It is in the line above the where you set you heading and route preference.

You can see a text version of the route? Exactly how?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

BMW encourages voice command.
It's amazing how detailed VC can be. Just say the first few letters of the city then say something like mcdonalds~ Try it, it works.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by largeface' post='307509' date='Jul 6 2006, 08:33 AM
BMW encourages voice command.
It's amazing how detailed VC can be. Just say the first few letters of the city then say something like mcdonalds~ Try it, it works.
Would it be possible to get a list of VC you use to do this. I for one would find it quite helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last couple weeks when I headed down to LA for SoCal greet and meet, I was about 1/4 mile from Starbucks where the meet was and I was searching for Starbucks nearby. BMW Nav showed me one two miles away while I'm just about 1/4 mile from it. WTF is that?

Quick Reply: Navigation System - Weak!