E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation stopped working..help!1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.
Unhappy

Hi Boys and Girls,
My navigation in my 2006 530xi (63k miles) has once again decided to stop working. My car is going in again for the 4th time hopefully this saturday, I'm waiting on a call back from my SA. I've noticed when it between 16 and 40 degrees outside the navigation stops working and the idrive requests "please insert navigation disc" but when my car is in the sun all day when I start it up the navigation works fine. I've even did the reboot.. still nothing ...

A little background on my car thats pissing me off!! It went to BMW back in November b/c the idrive died. They had my car for 3 days replaced the CCC and reprogramed the car. Went back that month again because I had no street names on the maps. They had the car for a day and said they gave me the wrong navigation dvd when replacing the CCC unit, they performed another reprogram. December rolls around and I'm getting "Disc read errors" while lost in Jersey.... FUN!!! My car goes back in for three days. While there someone in services shorts my car out and is "dead" in their words.... On the third day I get a call they fixed my car reprogramed again and everything is in working order. They detailed the car and delivered it to me a few hours later... all has been good since december until last while driving in manhattan the Navigation dies again!!!

I've search this forum and did a google search and I couldnt find anyone who has had or has the same problem. So my question is has anyone noticed this happening in your cars when its cold out or after numerous reprograms?

Please help this girl out because I'm starting to hate the car I love.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Interesting situation you have there...

First things first - make sure your DVD isnt scratched up too badly by trying another disc. You can burn a duplicate of the one you have or borrow one from your SA to check out the disc itself. Because of the temperature issue, I would surmise you may be having condensation issues on your disc or lens but this is just a guess...

If the disc checks out OK, next stop would be to look at the actual NAV DVD Drive to make sure the lens pickup isnt fouled. I doubt this is a SW issue...seems more like hardware to me.....

GL with this... Keep us posted...
Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='790907' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:06 PM
Interesting situation you have there...

First things first - make sure your DVD isnt scratched up too badly by trying another disc. You can burn a duplicate of the one you have or borrow one from your SA to check out the disc itself. Because of the temperature issue, I would surmise you may be having condensation issues on your disc or lens but this is just a guess...

If the disc checks out OK, next stop would be to look at the actual NAV DVD Drive to make sure the lens pickup isnt fouled. I doubt this is a SW issue...seems more like hardware to me.....

GL with this... Keep us posted...

Thanks for responding... My SA called me this morning and the earliest they can see my car is monday so we shall see...
I brought the condensation issue up a few times to bmw and they always look at me like i'm nuts but it makes sense since the issue is always when its cold out.I'll also suggest that maybe its the eye... In the mean time i checked the disc and there are no marks on it, i guess since it was replaced only a month and a half ago... I'll burn it tonight and see if a copy works.

I'll keep you posted on Monday's out come... Thanks again...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

i had a similar problem on my 545 i went away for 3 week scam eback and it didnt work was pissing me off to no end, but then all of a sudden one day it started working not sure if it was disc the CCC etc etc but its been fine since, i dont think its a CCC error it more likely GPS sensor or something like that, quick question wen the navi dies do the audi CD's still work, i assume you have proff navi....
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westside' post='791485' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:38 PM
i had a similar problem on my 545 i went away for 3 week scam eback and it didnt work was pissing me off to no end, but then all of a sudden one day it started working not sure if it was disc the CCC etc etc but its been fine since, i dont think its a CCC error it more likely GPS sensor or something like that, quick question wen the navi dies do the audi CD's still work, i assume you have proff navi....

Hi,
My cd, sirius and radio all still work just the Navigation goes dead. I'll bring up the GPS sensor to them on Monday...
Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Dont think it's the GPS sensor...typically, if that is the cause, then you wouldn't get a please insert Nav disc error. In any case, hope you have the original 50K warranty cos Nav isn't covered on the CPO and the original owner extended warranty........ GL
Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='791671' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:13 PM
Dont think it's the GPS sensor...typically, if that is the cause, then you wouldn't get a please insert Nav disc error. In any case, hope you have the original 50K warranty cos Nav isn't covered on the CPO and the original owner extended warranty........ GL
Ok so I wont bring the GPS sensor up....
I no longer have a warranty on my car and I never took the extended one out which looking back over the last few months was a big mistake. BMW will pay for these repairs whatever they migt be since I paid for the replacement of my CCC unit this past November and have nothing but problems with my Navigation since then. Hopefully this gets resolved on Monday since I've been making trips to the delaership every month since Oct 31 to fix the same problem....
I've also overnighted a letter to bmwna to see what they have to say about this issue..
Thanks for the luck and I'll keep u posted on my outcome...Have a great weekend!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='792130' date='Feb 13 2009, 12:52 PM
Ok so I wont bring the GPS sensor up....
I no longer have a warranty on my car and I never took the extended one out which looking back over the last few months was a big mistake. BMW will pay for these repairs whatever they migt be since I paid for the replacement of my CCC unit this past November and have nothing but problems with my Navigation since then. Hopefully this gets resolved on Monday since I've been making trips to the delaership every month since Oct 31 to fix the same problem....
I've also overnighted a letter to bmwna to see what they have to say about this issue..
Thanks for the luck and I'll keep u posted on my outcome...Have a great weekend!

Ok so bmw had my car for 2 days and ended up after checking the drive eye, all cables etc to only do a software upgrade to navigation v32. They said when they did the software upgrade last time something must have not taken...so as of today everything is working. Happy days are finally here again.!!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

glad its all sorted
Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='796671' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:17 AM
Ok so bmw had my car for 2 days and ended up after checking the drive eye, all cables etc to only do a software upgrade to navigation v32. They said when they did the software upgrade last time something must have not taken...so as of today everything is working. Happy days are finally here again.!!
Good to hear... Enjoy the Nav!