E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation search feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I've had a garmin GPS navigation system for years and it's great. You can search by name (ie. tap in Wells Fargo and it will show you all the Wells Fargoi Banks near you). Why can my $1000 Garmin do this and BMW nav. not do this? It's very frustrating to know the name of where you want to go but not be able to locate it within the navigation system because you can't search by name.

Am I missing something here??
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Members

You're not missing anything except the ability to search. It's funny, I think the second post I made after getting my car last December (the first was to praise it's unbelievable driving experience) was to ask the same question you did. My old 97 Acura could do this. It's an obvious failure of the product team considering the data is certainly in the Nav database. I assumed it would be fixed - it hasn't so far....
Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Contributors

I have found that searching by specific items at my location (i.e. ATM's) I can accomplish this somewhat. ALthough it will show all the ATMs in the area - it does show the bank name. I like the search by location better than our Lexus Nav search. With the BMW Nav - the list by name is much better than the spots on the map that we have to touch to even see what they are.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Go_Fast_545' date='Aug 11 2005, 11:02 PM
You're not missing anything except the ability to search.? It's funny, I think the second post I made after getting my car last December (the first was to praise it's unbelievable driving experience) was to ask the same question you did.? My old 97 Acura could do this.? It's an obvious failure of the product team considering the data is certainly in the Nav database.? I assumed it would be fixed - it hasn't so far....
[snapback]158542[/snapback]
Yes I have a 5 year old GPS navigation that searches great. It's purely a software function and has no special hardware requirements which makes it especially frustrating that such a high end vehicle has such a limited nav system. That's true of European cars in general. My brothers Range Rover is equally lame. The Japanese are light years ahead on this.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

We just bought a Subaru Tribeca (yeah, I know, I know...) for my wife.
It has a touch screen navi system (originally from Kenwood), which is - I hate to say it - orders of magnitude better than my E60 system.
You can search any which way you want, the route calculation is much faster, its easier to use, etc.
Kind of embarassing for BMW....
Old 08-13-2005, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 12 2005, 11:39 AM
The Japanese are light years ahead on this.
[snapback]158628[/snapback]

Preparing to get flamed :'( .
I have to agree and not only on this feature.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 12 2005, 07:53 AM
I've had a garmin GPS navigation system for years and it's great. You can search by name (ie. tap in Wells Fargo and it will show you all the Wells Fargoi Banks near you). Why can my $1000 Garmin do this and? BMW nav. not do this? It's very frustrating to know the name of where you want to go but not be able to locate it within the navigation system because you can't search by name.

[snapback]158540[/snapback]
AMEN! My Garmin 2610 is 2 yrs old and is much friendlier and capable than I've seen in my limited (but adequate I think) exposure to the E60 Navi. I bought the Navi option just for resale...I intend to use my portable Garmin navi for all my heavy lifting. BMW could easily fix this with software...the data is apparently already there in the database. I would also like to see the ability to preform nav databases with custom waypoints and route listings and then download them to the E60 via a USB port from your laptop of PDA. Can't be that hard...