E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That uses the Microsoft developed SYNC platform which is amazing.

I put MSFT and BMW together at the beginning of the year but got the impression that NIH would prevail.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='488996' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:54 AM
That uses the Microsoft developed SYNC platform which is amazing.

I put MSFT and BMW together at the beginning of the year but got the impression that NIH would prevail.
Well that kinda sucks now, doesn't it? Thanks for trying though!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='488901' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:39 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to search for restaurants by name instead of only by location. I live in L.A. and if I input the city of Los Angeles and then go to restaurants it gives me a list starting with the closest one. Since the city of L.A. is huge and there are so many restaurants (and other POI's) it's nearly impossible to find the one I'm looking for without scrolling forever.

I have a 2006 550i. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to ask the dealer if there is a software update.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='489160' date='Nov 2 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to ask the dealer if there is a software update.
Sure there's an upgrade but if you simply ask for it, they'll charge you for it. What you can do is find a problem that your car is suffering from (even a minor one) that was fixed with a newer version of software. Once you complain about that problem, the dealer will upgrade the software under warranty and you won't have to pay for it. (Assuming your car is under warranty...)

Take a look at the service bulletin "sticky" that's at the top of the dealer service and purchasing forum. In there, you'll find listings of the bug fixes, etc. Just find a bug you have and you should be able to accomplish everything with little to no trouble...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489172' date='Nov 2 2007, 04:25 PM
Sure there's an upgrade but if you simply ask for it, they'll charge you for it. What you can do is find a problem that your car is suffering from (even a minor one) that was fixed with a newer version of software. Once you complain about that problem, the dealer will upgrade the software under warranty and you won't have to pay for it. (Assuming your car is under warranty...)

Take a look at the service bulletin "sticky" that's at the top of the dealer service and purchasing forum. In there, you'll find listings of the bug fixes, etc. Just find a bug you have and you should be able to accomplish everything with little to no trouble...
A good "bug" to use is CD or iPod run on. If the CD starts up several songs beyond the last one you played, that is enough of a reason. Be prepared to leave your car for a couple of days.

With the search feature, I find it quite useful. I think you can select ALL restaraunts and then search by name. It doesn't have to be how it starts, just containing a text string, ie chris for Ruth's Chris Steak House.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489172' date='Nov 2 2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do as Richard In NC suggests and tell them that the cd player skips ahead a few songs after I turn it off. I think that's what he means.

This forum is great! I just bought the car used last weekend and I'm loving it so far! I think I got a good deal. I paid $41,250 for a Titanium Silver 2006 550i with 16,000 miles on it. The car is in showroom condition, not a scratch or ding on it. It has the sport package, chrome wheels, navigation, Sirius (wonder how long it will last without me paying for it?), cold weather pkg, power sunshade, logic 7 premium sound, PDC, tinted windows, and best of all 6 year 100k maintenance.

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='489228' date='Nov 2 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do as Richard In NC suggests and tell them that the cd player skips ahead a few songs after I turn it off. I think that's what he means.

This forum is great! I just bought the car used last weekend and I'm loving it so far! I think I got a good deal. I paid $41,250 for a Titanium Silver 2006 550i with 16,000 miles on it. The car is in showroom condition, not a scratch or ding on it. It has the sport package, chrome wheels, navigation, Sirius (wonder how long it will last without me paying for it?), cold weather pkg, power sunshade, logic 7 premium sound, PDC, tinted windows, and best of all 6 year 100k maintenance.

Again, thanks for the help!
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your new baby!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489172' date='Nov 2 2007, 01:25 PM

I just wanted to thank you for the good advice. I got the dealer to update the software to V27.2.1 and now I can search for poi's by name. I wonder what other little things I might find in this new version? Anyway, thanks again!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='491488' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:35 PM
I just wanted to thank you for the good advice. I got the dealer to update the software to V27.2.1 and now I can search for poi's by name. I wonder what other little things I might find in this new version? Anyway, thanks again!
My article will tell you.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='489212' date='Nov 2 2007, 03:35 PM
A good "bug" to use is CD or iPod run on. If the CD starts up several songs beyond the last one you played, that is enough of a reason. Be prepared to leave your car for a couple of days.

With the search feature, I find it quite useful. I think you can select ALL restaraunts and then search by name. It doesn't have to be how it starts, just containing a text string, ie chris for Ruth's Chris Steak House.
I just wanted to thank you for the good advice. I got the dealer to update the software to V27.2.1 and now I can search for poi's by name. I wonder what other little things I might find in this new version? I did exactly as you said and told them about the CD skipping. Anyway, thanks again!

Quick Reply: Navigation Question