E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a trip down to Philadelphia this weekend and since I know the route pretty well, I wasn't paying much attention until I was about halfway down the Jersey 'pike. That's when I noticed that my navigation system was telling me that I was somewhere in Connecticut, I think New Haven to be exact. I've seen this happen before w/my buddies' navi systems, when buildings would obstruct contact with the satellites, etc., etc., but in this case, I was around exit 6 or 7 of the Jersey pike -- not too many buildings around there. Moreover, my buddies' navi systems would become accurate once they were not being obstructed by buildings.

By the time I got to Philadelphia, the navi system placed me around 200 miles off the coast of New York. Wonderful. It didn't accurately place me again until later that night, when I was in a Philly suburb -- and was fine throughout most of my travel in Philly -- then went haywire again when I got near NYC (noticed this around exit 12 on the turnpike).

So, other than take this back to the dealership ... any advice on what to do to "reset" the iDrive system/navigation system? Anyone else suffer this same problem? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fuenfer' date='Oct 17 2004, 03:14 PM
I took a trip down to Philadelphia this weekend and since I know the route pretty well, I wasn't paying much attention until I was about halfway down the Jersey 'pike.? That's when I noticed that my navigation system was telling me that I was somewhere in Connecticut, I think New Haven to be exact.? I've seen this happen before w/my buddies' navi systems, when buildings would obstruct contact with the satellites, etc., etc., but in this case, I was around exit 6 or 7 of the Jersey pike -- not too many buildings around there.? Moreover, my buddies' navi systems would become accurate once they were not being obstructed by buildings.? ?

By the time I got to Philadelphia, the navi system placed me around 200 miles off the coast of New York.? Wonderful.? It didn't accurately place me again until later that night, when I was in a Philly suburb -- and was fine throughout most of my travel in Philly -- then went haywire again when I got near NYC (noticed this around exit 12 on the turnpike).?

So, other than take this back to the dealership ... any advice on what to do to "reset" the iDrive system/navigation system?? Anyone else suffer this same problem?? Thanks.
[snapback]46024[/snapback]
sorry to hear about your problem...can't help you. But I don't think the BMW nav is satellite based. I think it's the dvd that was inserted in that dvd slot on your center column. Try removing it and putting it back in and see if it resets itself...I'm not quite sure what happened with yours. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Oct 17 2004, 05:42 PM
sorry to hear about your problem...can't help you.? But I don't think the BMW nav is satellite based.? I think it's the dvd that was inserted in that dvd slot on your center column.? Try removing it and putting it back in and see if it resets itself...I'm not quite sure what happened with yours.? Good luck.
[snapback]46038[/snapback]
BoBoB, for sure the system is satellite based. They all are! Either something isn't calibrated correctly or the system needs some sort of reboot.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Yes it is satellite based. That is how it knows your location (except in funfer's case). The CD just has the maps and all of the information on locations.

Fuenfer, did your nav start working again only after you shut the car off and then turned it back on? Next time try doing a re-boot ( hold power button in on radio and hit eject on CD and DVD all at same time ).
Old 10-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Just reboot and it will clear itself up

Reboot by holding down volume/power knob, cd eject button, and DVD eject button all at the same time. It will clear up the problem. I had to do this 2 times in 3,400 miles. No big deal.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 17 2004, 07:37 PM
Yes it is satellite based. That is how it knows your location (except in funfer's case). The CD just has the maps and all of the information on locations.

[snapback]46103[/snapback]
Actually what I understood from the dealer is that it is not satellite based. First off satellite based would be to expensive and would cost you a monthly fee. The way it works is your car has a built-in electronic compass that is interagted with the Navigation system. The compass reads what Latitude, Longitude etc. you are at and sends the info to the DVD. The software then matchs the degrees and PRESTO shows your location on the screen. I also understood that sometimes when you are extremly close to bodys of water like the ocean. Your map location on the screen can be off because of low-tide and high-tide. Most likly your problem is your electronic compass reading. It must be sending the wrong messages to the DVD software.

Robbie
Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sorry, your dealer gave you bad information. That's not to say there isn't some "dead reckoning" data coming from some sensors on the car that can be combined with the data coming from the GPS satellites but the primary means of information is satellite.

The GPS satellites are up there and are free to use by anyone. There is no need for a monthly subsciption.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by rabih11' date='Oct 17 2004, 11:13 PM
........ The compass reads what Latitude, Longitude etc. you are at and sends the info to the DVD. ............. I also understood that sometimes when you are extremly close to bodys of water like the ocean. Your map location on the screen can be off because of low-tide and high-tide.? Most likly your problem is your electronic compass reading. It must be sending the wrong messages to the DVD software.

Robbie
Robbie, you're kindding me right??!

If you ever find a Compass that can tell you where you are at on Earth, Please let me know....I would love to get that compass and throw away all my navigation equipment.

And who feed you this low/high tide nonesense?? Your salesman? I would love to meet him and shake his hand, because he sure pull a fast one on you

cheers,

beewang
Old 10-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Members

Take it easy Guys... Yes this is what I heard from my dealer.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

fuenfer, to answer your question, "where am i?" the answer is......

you are lost!

Quick Reply: Navigation Problems