E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

navigation option

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ordered my e-60 everything except nav. i am asking for true opinions on those who have nav the advantages and disadvantages. i really dont plan on taking my new baby on long mileage trips but am wondering if i made a mistake by not ordering nav. if i understand right nav comes with voice recoginition or is that standard with bluetooth or is that just with the nav pack. i would appreciate any additional info about nav that anybody can offer i still have time to to add it to my order and production number. thanks for any help.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by goldenwing' post='202533
i ordered my e-60 everything except nav. i am asking for true opinions on those who have nav the advantages and disadvantages. i really dont plan on taking my new baby on long mileage trips but am wondering if i made a mistake by not ordering nav. if i understand right nav comes with voice recoginition or is that standard with bluetooth or is that just with the nav pack. i would appreciate any additional info about nav that anybody can offer i still have time to to add it to my order and production number. thanks for any help.
Last but not least, you don't get the big screen without nav. I would get nav for this feature alone.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Members

<snip> Love it...wouldn't be without it. Of course the Acura Nav in my wife's MDX is much better, but still love it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well when I looked at it the 2005 Nav offered this over the non-nav. not sure if all is still true for 2006 but most probably are.

* Mp3 playback ( your's will have it so it dosent matter to you)
* Larger 16:9 screen
* Forec Feedback iDrive wheel
* Complete Voice Command. (With BT you get a limited amount, thats associated with just the phone. Not too bad.)

The other thing is with NAV you'll lose the center console storage hole by the shifter.

If I knew ALL those things were included with NAV I would have gotten it. If it was just for NAV and NAV alone I didnt want it.... not for $1800 at least.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

The nav was one of my can't do-without options. I love it. I also love the voice command that comes with it. It's great having the split screen so a current location map can always be displayed. My last portable GPS system was about $1400 (Magellen, top of the line) two years ago, so I could live with the $1800 cost. Now the portable will live in our other vehicles. In fact, I used the portable so much that I knew my next car would come with nav.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by goldenwing' post='202533' date='Nov 23 2005, 08:47 PM
If planning on selling the vehicle anytime in the next 5-7 years, must get to protect resale value. BMW Navi is useful and functional, but inferior to other navi systems out there, Garmin being among the best IMHO>
Old 11-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I did not order Nav and I have regretted it ever since. I now have a Navman iCN510 on my dash board. Nav is great when the unexpected happens. Last July I had an early AM flight out of Hannover. About 30 km from the airport the Autobahn was closed for construction and everyone routed onto local roads. I just started driving until the Nav computed a new route. Never would have made the flight without Nav. I won't buy another car without it.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I've had both UK nav versions, business nav has the smaller screen and no maps, Pro nav is as you know.
I personally could not live without it now due to the nature of my business i.e. always visting sites I've never been to. My best experience with it was a 1,000 mile round trip to Scotland where I visted 25 different sites located in city centres over 2 days. I reckon I saved a full day by being able to pull up outside the front door. Incidently I did this trip in my old car with bus nav and it worked perfectly.

One of the best functions with nav is the estimated time of arrival readout, it works perfectly and keeps the pressure off when driving to a pre-arranged appointment.

Of course not everyone requires this sort of service so if you haven't ordered it I would say your car will still be highly saleable come trade in time. I've seen a lot of E60's available without nav in the UK. As there are so many cheaper aftermarket systems available I don't think not having the OEM system is an issue.

I still think sat nav is the most amazing gadget I've ever seen in a car. Apart from the two stage turbo diesel engine fitted in my car.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

My sales told me there are only about 33% of e60 have NAV.
I am gald I am in the 33% group.
I am the type of guy that even I know the direction, I will still use NAV to check distance and time to destination. NAV worth every single penny for me.