E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Driving Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone experienced their navigation driving backwards?
My Nav just started this today and It shows me driving opposite from where I am heading.
It has me driving off streets, through lakes and rivers.
I have tried taking out the DVD as well as pulling the fuse but it is still doing it.
I have searched the forums and found nothing.
So just looking to see if anyone has experienced this.
Thanks
D
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

I think you have to recalibrate the nav. There was a post I read here or at another forum awhile back with instruction how to do this. It has something to with driving to a intersection with the arrow pointing to the correct direction in the map then do something. Sorry I forgot the last part but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Whoa that sounds crazy. I don't have an exact same experience, but something similar happened to one of my Garmin Nuvis. Turns out that the GPS chipset or antennae was faulty. What happens is that it'll randomly act crazy, indicating that I am somewhere or going somewhere I am not. I have had it tell me I was traveling in excess of 400+ miles per hour, and other insanity as well including dropping connection entirely.

Hopefully it's a simpler issue for you, and not your GPS antennae (in the shark fin).
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Members

if you drive in reverse will it show you going the right way?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

D-
About 2 months ago, the nav. in my '08 started doing similar things. It would show me driving all over the map, not following the streets at all. At times it wouldn't even show the correct streets near me/location. When I would get home from work, it would show my location as still being at my work, but driving on the streets near my work. Or, in the morning when I got to work, it would show my location as still being in my neighborhood. Even the "current location" assist window showed the wrong street names. Sometimes it would even show the wrong direction of travel, so I think it may be the gyro/compass module. FWIW, my car never showed me driving backwards, though!

I tried this, as advised by other helpful members of this forum: go drive your car in tight circles several times. So, I went to the Sears parking lot(there wasn't anyone there anyway), and drove the car in really tight circles clockwise for about a minute. Then, I did the same thing counter-clockwise for about a minute. This seemed to fix the problem for a little while. The problem has since re-surfaced, exhibiting the same symptoms.

I have checked the disc for scratches, and rebooted iDrive(hold volume and eject until the monitor shows the BMW logo again). Neither of these really seemed to help.

I even took pictures of the nav. screen to show BMW of Dallas these problems. I did this, because, their usual answer to EVERY problem I take to them is the usual "I'm sorry, we can't seem to duplicate that problem with your car. Wait 4 weeks for an available appointment, and bring it back for us to check it again".

Sorry for my bitterness Good Luck getting your nav. working! As soon as my car's warranty runs out in October, I have to get rid of this car. I can't justify a $3,000 warranty for another two years of warranty from a company that won't even fix things that should obviously be covered by the BMW new vehicle warranty.