E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

NAVi innie or outtie?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi ppl. i just want to know if you guys leave your navi dvd in your 5erz all the time, even when you leave your car? cuz i do.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by yahmegaman' post='516747' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:06 AM
hi ppl. i just want to know if you guys leave your navi dvd in your 5erz all the time, even when you leave your car? cuz i do.
As the Nav DVD Drive serves no other purpose i tend to leave the disc in always, to be honest the only time i can see removal being necessary is when you update to the next version.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='516760' date='Jan 12 2008, 07:57 AM
As the Nav DVD Drive serves no other purpose i tend to leave the disc in always, to be honest the only time i can see removal being necessary is when you update to the next version.
But that's not entirely correct; you could play music from that drive also (if you wanted).

I too leave it in and I rely on iPod, live Internet, and HD Radio for music, but the drive does have other uses.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well if you dont leave it in there then every time you calculate a new route you will have to insert it to let the Nav system read the route info and then remove it again right?

I know the car can buffer the whole complete route from beginning to end if you entered in a destination but what happens if you dont? How much does it buffer into memory without needing to read from the disc?

Does the NAV even work to allow you to view the map when driving after you shut down the car over night?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

The nav will not work if the disk is not in the car. The system only buffers the needed information and will not load the entire disk into memory. I know some people take it out when they valet the car because Valets have been know to steal DVD disks and sell them. What I did is took my original nav disk and made a copy of it (No i will not tell how I did it because it is illegal ) I now used my burned copy and leave it in the car. On the disk in black marker I wrote....

"To Whom this may concern. Feel free to steal this disk because I have the original at home and will make another copy"

I picked my car up the other day after having service and my SA told me they had to take my DVD disk out for some reason and I guess eveyone in the shop had a good chuckle about it. He did warn me that what I did was illegal and I should maybe next time put the original disk back in the car when I bring it in for service.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='516894' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:29 PM
The nav will not work if the disk is not in the car. The system only buffers the needed information and will not load the entire disk into memory. I know some people take it out when they valet the car because Valets have been know to steal DVD disks and sell them. What I did is took my original nav disk and made a copy of it (No i will not tell how I did it because it is illegal ) I now used my burned copy and leave it in the car. On the disk in black marker I wrote....

"To Whom this may concern. Feel free to steal this disk because I have the original at home and will make another copy"

I picked my car up the other day after having service and my SA told me they had to take my DVD disk out for some reason and I guess eveyone in the shop had a good chuckle about it. He did warn me that what I did was illegal and I should maybe next time put the original disk back in the car when I bring it in for service.
I think you can make one copy of just about any copyrighted software, if it's for your own use (assuming you already own the license), and you don't try to sell it or otherwise make some sort of commercial use of it. The mechanics of actually making the copy may be arcane, but I'm pretty sure you're not violating the law. Even if you are, you'd never be prosecuted for such a silly thing.

That said, making a copy and giving it away or selling it is for sure a violation. Would you be prosecuted? Probably not...but it would still be wrong.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I also burned a copy and I leave it in the drive continually.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='516988' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:36 PM
I think you can make one copy of just about any copyrighted software, if it's for your own use (assuming you already own the license), and you don't try to sell it or otherwise make some sort of commercial use of it.
I don't think this is valid anymore. A few years ago this was acceptable but now making a copy even for personal use is considered illegal. However most companies will not pursue you for that. http://www.vnunet.com/computeractive/news/...ng-cds-personal

Now consumers who rip CDs they have bought in order to fill an iPod or other MP3 player are technically guilty of copyright infringement. The law now considers all my mixed tapes and CDs illegal too.

Many of us would never have gotten married at that rate - imagine not being able to make a mixed tape for your partner!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='517575' date='Jan 13 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't think this is valid anymore. A few years ago this was acceptable but now making a copy even for personal use is considered illegal. However most companies will not pursue you for that. http://www.vnunet.com/computeractive/news/...ng-cds-personal

Now consumers who rip CDs they have bought in order to fill an iPod or other MP3 player are technically guilty of copyright infringement. The law now considers all my mixed tapes and CDs illegal too.

Many of us would never have gotten married at that rate - imagine not being able to make a mixed tape for your partner!
You have every right to make a back up copy of any media that you may have as long as the item in question is not or cannot be use at the same time. So if you make a mix tape then you are making a copy of an item which if the original is destroyed you can recoup your loses. The sticking point is "at the same time". If they can NOT prove that you were using both the original and the copy "at the same time" then you can not be convicted.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Members

Can DVD movies be played on the navigation?

Quick Reply: NAVi innie or outtie?