E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV Pro is misbehaving.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 03:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, a passenger and I attended a funeral of a long time cohort in Louisiana and needed NAV badly to find the funeral home in a traffic jungle known as Alexandria, LA. First fault message I got at startup was referencing a loose gas cap which I ignored because I could remember tightening at the pump the previous evening. Then I punched in the funeral home destination and NAV lady ultimately announced that the route was in the display. HUD showed the first turn info on the screen and I got underway.

NAV would not show the second turn and stayed locked on the first turn. The iDrive control would not work as long as I stayed in NAV. Worked OK on other menus. NAV lady gave me the silent treatment and would not respond to the button on the steering wheel.

I drove the first 100 miles like this until we stopped for coffee. On restart, the gas cap error came on again. I checked and somehow it really was loose. I got the gas cap message two more times during the day and each time it was tight. I think I will go out and totally remove it and cap it again if I get the message during startup this morning.

I reentered the destination and NAV lady stopped the silent treatment and led us efficiently to the funeral home. I still have the problem of totally losing NAV lady and route displays if I shut down during a trip. I have to reenter the destination.

I don't plan to return to the dealer unless this problem continues. The odometer rolled over 5000 miles yesterday, and it has been right at 3 months since delivery.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 AM
sj3
Senior Members

JDN: First, I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. It would have been nice if you and your passenger could have shared memories about them on the way instead of being comcerned about Nav-babe. When you stop during a Nav trip and then restart the car a little while later, the first prompt, after Accept, should be asking if you want to continue Nav'ing. It sounds like this isn't coming up for you which makes me think there's a problem with your Nav computer and it might need replacing. Is/was the funeral home in your Last Destinations list, so you could pick it from the list of places you have Nav'ed to? If not, that's bizzare and also might point to a computer (h/w) problem. One suggestion I've got is to remove your Nav DVD and go for a few rides without it there. Then make sure your car goes in to sleep mode without the disc. When you get back in, try and put the disc back in again and see if this 'reset' changes anything. If not, I vote for a new Nav computer (CCC?) for you. If you start on the same trip from the same start point, does the problem recur?

Congrats on your 5,000 miles. I've got just about 1100 now (1098, I think)! Good luck with this. I really depend on Nav babe and don't want her going bipolar on me!

Sam
Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 AM
JDN
Contributors

Thanks for the thoughtfulness, Sam.

Kramer Funeral home is no longer in the NAV destination selection and NAV no longer asks the Yes/No option of continuing guidance during intermediate stops and restarts. The latter started on an extended trip two or three weeks ago. Now the NAV list that you referred to is missing as well. I had entered Kramer in the address book for good measure and it is not there either. Alzheimers for sure. NAV lady also tried to turn me the wrong way on a one way in directing us to lunch. I couldn't believe that, but when I followed the traffic pattern in the Alex traffic jungle, I could see why she would be confused on that particular road.

I will try your suggestion for removing disk, etc. if I continue to have the problem. Trip to the dealer is always a last choice, but ever an option.

I, too, have become heavily dependent on GPS guidance -- used Garmin Street Pilot before NAV lady. Even on a familar road, the first 100 miles had an insecure feeling yesterday. The lady is a big help in getting you in the right lane at the right time.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:56 AM
sj3
Senior Members

JDN: It may be helpful, if you have one, to try a backup copy of the Nav dvd in case yours got corrupted. I'm unsure on one thing you said: what happens when you give the "Last Destinations" voice command? Thanks.

Sam
Old 07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Sorry to read about the loss of your friend. May the memories of your friend be good ones.

If you back up your DVD I recommend Pengo media with Nero as the copier. I tried Sony and Fuji and received poor results.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Well, it seems to be working today. It took me across town to a destination and then back home. Made an interim stop long enough for the car to sleep, and when I cranked, after booting, it asked if I wanted to continue. Also, no gas cap messages today so maybe, just maybe, I can make it until the first oil change.

Thanks for the good suggestions. Will keep in mind if I continue to have problems with NAV.