E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nav Install On A Non-preped 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

There have been a lot of discussions on this and Im sorry to kick a dead horse, but I guess my curiosity still hasnt been satisfied. I have a 530 that was built late March of 2005. I was told by the dealer that I could get Nav retro-fitted, so I didnt order it. Now that I have the car Ive been told that I cannot have NAV retro-fitted because the wiring is not there. Lord knows I dont want to tear my car apart, but cant this wiring be added?....I have installation instructions for SA609 and it looks like there isnt a lot of wiring, most of it under the dash....so Im confused. Do the dealers not want to do it cause they dont want to go through the trouble of running an extra wire or is it more than that.....should I keep pursuing this or just give up?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D SE

I thought you could get it retro-fitted but it is hugely expensive, so nobody does it.

It costs much more than getting it ordered with your car and then there's labour charges on top.

Try emailing a BMW dealer's parts department..you will need your chassis number.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nine,

The retrofit instructions sound very simple for car with Nav-preped, but if your car is not nav preped, then it'd take up to 6 hours to do the job. What you can do is to open up the center dash (MAS-K) unit and see if blue optical connector and 3-pin fan connect are there. If they are, your car is retrofittable. If not, new wiring is needed to go from center dash to TCU in the back. This takes a lot of time to run wire from front to back because a lot of parts need to be moved out of the way during running the wire. In addition, I doubt if BMW stock the optical wiring set for nav.

Best Regards
Old 04-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

Ive gone to my dealer with and BMW north America with my cars VIN and they both said I was out of luck.

MY530I, I guess you answered my question...If I understand you correctly there is/are some wires that
need to run from the front of the car to the TCU (I dont know where that is, Im assuming in the trunk) that will require removal and tear-down of the interior of the car....and if that isnt enough the optical wire needed might not even be avaiable...that would be a show stopper.
You mentioned the MAS-K, Im sorry but Im not familiar with these parts or how to get to them, though I am willing to remove things to investigate...how do I remove the MAS-K to view the wires....also, in one of the kit installation guides I have (65 90 0 397 300) it doesnt mention the TCU, is that because its assumed the wiring is already there?, it does mention the CAS....I have another installation guide (it doesnt have a number, its from July 2004) it mentions disconnecting a blue cable from the TCU in the trunk and connecting it to a blue connector in the wiring harness.
I guess this is what I get for trying to save a little money up front.....thanks for all your help.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

a customer at the Kamor dealership recently brought a 645i with no nav, and he wanted the Nav pro retrofitted. he had not paid for the preparation. They quoted him 5500euro including the parts and took the old ones in exchange. the car was completely stripped to install wiring for the nav. and this took 4 days to complete
Old 04-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Members

DAMN!....that really stinks.

By the way, on a side note....If I had NAV, would I also get voice recognition?...or can I have voice recognition without NAV?
This is the last time I ever buy a car, witout getting every option I want.....
Old 04-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

no that really good. your forced to go after market. just ran my 545 with nav and garmin street pilotIII. it just confirmed my earlier statements that the garmin is really the way to go. ginen the choise of ordering the car i would not get nav for nav sack. by the way it seam that BMW maybe be using garmin. the display and voices are the same.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine' post='263968' date='Apr 3 2006, 08:34 AM
Ive gone to my dealer with and BMW north America with my cars VIN and they both said I was out of luck.

MY530I, I guess you answered my question...If I understand you correctly there is/are some wires that
need to run from the front of the car to the TCU (I dont know where that is, Im assuming in the trunk) that will require removal and tear-down of the interior of the car....and if that isnt enough the optical wire needed might not even be avaiable...that would be a show stopper.
You mentioned the MAS-K, Im sorry but Im not familiar with these parts or how to get to them, though I am willing to remove things to investigate...how do I remove the MAS-K to view the wires....also, in one of the kit installation guides I have (65 90 0 397 300) it doesnt mention the TCU, is that because its assumed the wiring is already there?, it does mention the CAS....I have another installation guide (it doesnt have a number, its from July 2004) it mentions disconnecting a blue cable from the TCU in the trunk and connecting it to a blue connector in the wiring harness.
I guess this is what I get for trying to save a little money up front.....thanks for all your help.
Did you see the blue connector connected to the TCU on the right hand side or the trunk? In addition, GPS wiring is also needed.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Members

I dont doubt there are better systems, but I was looking for integrating into the cars current system and possibly picking up other voice commands to control other features as well, like stereo, climate...etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Members

I didnt look for the wire yet, Im at work.....I could run out to the parking lot and take a peek, if I dont need any tools....
I always assumed I had GPS because of the SOS system....am I wrong about that too???

Quick Reply: Nav Install On A Non-preped 2006