E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nail in tire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

I was coming back from lunch when i started hearing this weird noise coming from my front driver side tire, pulled over and noticed a big ass nail right in the middle of the tire!!

As soon as i saw this, i took it to the local tire shop to get plugged, has anyone ever had any experience getting a 20' tire plugged before??? Im nervous as hell because i dont want to pay $250 for another tire!!!

I hope they can save it....and get this, there charging me $50 for the plug cause it is a 20' tire!!! Anyways, i dont care how much it costs as long as they can save it!!

:'(
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
JDN
Contributors

I wouldn't plug any tire. Have it patched from the inside.

I only had one experience with a plug. That was years ago, but one bad experience was enuf.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

i agree with Jim, patch it !
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I once found a screw in my tyre (E30 316), I think a had Fulda 205/xx 15" tyres in 1988.

Had it plugged and no problems after that!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Three years ago I had to plug the almost brand new rear tire on my M3 (245, 19). I actually did it myself and never had an issue or ever lost any air. If done correctly the plug cord will act almost as good as a patch from the inside of the tire. In the unfortunate case that you notice any air leak from the tire you can always take the tire to the shop to remove the tire and patch it from the inside. Until then, and if it happens, why risk have anyone scratch your rims?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

My first job was pumping gas in a local BP station. I plugged many many tires and never had one come back. I have done it to my own tires and would do it again without hesitation. I just plugged my mom's Lexus tire last Fall and no issue there either.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Two weeks ago I had a nail in my tire. I took it to the tire shop to have it patched. They ruined the tire taking it off the rim. I stood right there watching them while they reverse bent the tire at the sidewall/tread junction with the tire breakdown machine. There were splits on the inside in two places and the tire bubbled in one spot when they tried to put air in it. I ended up with a new tire on the car. I talked to a friend that has plugged his tires on his M3 and his 540i before that and has never had a problem.

Last week I found a nail in another tire; it was probably there all along. I bought a plug kit, plugged the tire, and so far so good. It has lost a pound of air pressure ( I check it every morning). It was sure a lot less expensive than replacing the tire.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by snadir' post='397221' date='Mar 1 2007, 02:16 PM
I was coming back from lunch when i started hearing this weird noise coming from my front driver side tire, pulled over and noticed a big ass nail right in the middle of the tire!!

As soon as i saw this, i took it to the local tire shop to get plugged, has anyone ever had any experience getting a 20' tire plugged before??? Im nervous as hell because i dont want to pay $250 for another tire!!!

I hope they can save it....and get this, there charging me $50 for the plug cause it is a 20' tire!!! Anyways, i dont care how much it costs as long as they can save it!!

:'(
I think it depends on the type of tire. I got a nail in one of my new summer tires two days after they were mounted Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's and Goodyear said they cannot be patched or plugged. Something about the directional tread and different coumpounds in different sections. Bought a new tire :thumbsdown:
Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributors

I had a goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3 patched and plugged and it runs fine. I even hit high triple digits with it with no problem

The location of the puncture will determine if it can be repaired. If it is in or near the sidewall, then the tire will need to be replaced.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

any one have a tire and wheel warranty or anything? couple weeks ago i had a nail in my front passenger side tire, but the thing is that the nail punctured in the inner sidewall. new tire but the dealer scratched my rim so it went back in there after a couple of days again and was fine. on my suv, i havent dealt with plugs. ive only had punctures patched, again by warranty of the shop where i bought the tires and rims from.

Quick Reply: Nail in tire!!!