E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

NAIL IN RUNFLATS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='234076
I find it odd to react to a story about a sudden nail puncture in a runflat, in which he did not experience any loss of control or other danger, and did not have to change the tire on the roadside, and instead drove at a safe pace to a tire retailer, with the conclusion that runflats are bad.

I know all the knocks on runflats, but this situation is exactly why I kind of like my runflats. This is the one time when they make up for all their other faults. Add my imagined scenario in which my wife is driving my baby son in the car when an otherwise disabling nail puncture shows up, and I just cannot picture myself giving up the safety (no loss of control) and convenience (no need to change a tire on the side of a busy motorway) of a runflat.
I completely agree wtih you. The safety factor outweighs the ride factor for me. Besides, I don't think the ride is that harsh anyway (of course, others have a different tolerance level). Same reason why I got winter RFTs
[/quote]

I have the same winter tires you do, Jstraw. I'd hate to change a tire on the Kennedy in a rainstorm.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550I Manual White/Black 6Speed Sport

Thank you to those that addressed my original message post. Please make note that I am not knocking the benefits that are associated with run flats. My main gripe was regarding the relationship that the tire manufacturer and the dealer have that puts the consumer at a disadvantage. I have roughly 1,600 miles on my 2006 550I, and would have hated to cough up another 300-500 for a replacement tire.

Nail aside, I couldn't be happier with my Bridgestone RF!

Originally Posted by tab545' post='234072
I agree, whilst there is concern that because of the construction of the sidewall of runflats, it is difficult to establish if damage has been caused by running with a flat, a blanket refusal to repair is outrageous.

It is another good reason not to choose runflats.

If a tyre is more than half worn I would not replace it as a single item anyway, I would want to replace the axle pair.

That is a mighty expensive puncture.
I find it odd to react to a story about a sudden nail puncture in a runflat, in which he did not experience any loss of control or other danger, and did not have to change the tire on the roadside, and instead drove at a safe pace to a tire retailer, with the conclusion that runflats are bad.

I know all the knocks on runflats, but this situation is exactly why I kind of like my runflats. This is the one time when they make up for all their other faults. Add my imagined scenario in which my wife is driving my baby son in the car when an otherwise disabling nail puncture shows up, and I just cannot picture myself giving up the safety (no loss of control) and convenience (no need to change a tire on the side of a busy motorway) of a runflat.
[/quote]
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I luv innovative stuff, that is the reason I drive E60, but RFT :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

cannot wait for my 20"s w 'old fashioned ultra-high performance tires'
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Justgold18' post='234230' date='Feb 3 2006, 12:44 PM
Nail aside, I couldn't be happier with my Bridgestone RF!
You haven't had them in the snow yet - they are not good in the white stuff. You may be lucky, however, because it doesn't seem like we are going to get snow again in Chicago this winter.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I agree with those that say the tire can be repaired for punctures in the tread. The less you actually drive on it and the lower the speed, the less any potential lingering effects to the tire and the proper repair will get you back "close" to OEM spec. But just in case I would assume at least a one down speed rating. Since I am on V rated tires (149 MPH) I would consider only 125-130 mph as my new rating. Still, being on a RF tire I would be more confident that should something fail I would still have the RF level of protection - not a catastrophic failure such as could be experienced in a non-RF tire
Old 02-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='234245' date='Feb 3 2006, 12:59 PM
I agree with those that say the tire can be repaired for punctures in the tread. The less you actually drive on it and the lower the speed, the less any potential lingering effects to the tire and the proper repair will get you back "close" to OEM spec. But just in case I would assume at least a one down speed rating. Since I am on V rated tires (149 MPH) I would consider only 125-130 mph as my new rating. Still, being on a RF tire I would be more confident that should something fail I would still have the RF level of protection - not a catastrophic failure such as could be experienced in a non-RF tire
I very good point by CD. Most tire manufacturers will tell you that the speed ratings no longer apply after any repairs are done.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Well when I had a puncture in a RFT, almost every tire shop told me that RFT's aren't supposed to be patched or that they didn't have the new equipment necessary to dismount/mount a RFT from the wheel.

I eventually found a shop that was willing to patch it, but they didn't have the proper RFT equipment so I'm sure they scratched the inside of the rim.

However, since then I've taken the car up to 100mph with no problems.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='234318' date='Feb 3 2006, 08:24 PM
Well when I had a puncture in a RFT, almost every tire shop told me that RFT's aren't supposed to be patched or that they didn't have the new equipment necessary to dismount/mount a RFT from the wheel.

I eventually found a shop that was willing to patch it, but they didn't have the proper RFT equipment so I'm sure they scratched the inside of the rim.

However, since then I've taken the car up to 100mph with no problems.

If they do not have the equipment to dismount a RFT how the hell do they suppose they are going to replce them when they wear out ?????

Old 05-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Anyone else have experience with patching a run flat tire, looks like I am going to try this tomorrow over getting a new tire.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i took my car to a shop that doesnt have equipment to dismount a rft....i watched the guy work..that tyre is hard as concrete,,,,i didnt want to dismount from the rim...took 15 mins just for that,,,the guy was afrad he would scratch my rim...and told me it might get scatched...i told him not to worry since they are already scratched....and i didnt care at the time...i drove everywhere to find a place that was willing to work on my tyres....
the guy told me when he dismounted the tire..and without a rim...that two guys could sit on the tyre and it would show no sign of bending at all...
next time im gettin non-runflats...

Quick Reply: NAIL IN RUNFLATS