5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   n62 Valve Seal Replacement (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/n62-valve-seal-replacement-144964/)

JBasco20 05-23-2016 08:58 AM

n62 Valve Seal Replacement

What all should you replace while your doing the valve seals on a N62 engine??? Im renting the AGA tool and want to replace any other necessary items besides the valve cover gaskets and the valve seals themselves...

star69me 05-23-2016 05:34 PM

Just had that job done last month in my 07 550i non sport model.. I also replaced my motor mounts best time to do it. Car runs like a champ now.

Originally Posted by JBasco20 (Post 1578784)
What all should you replace while your doing the valve seals on a N62 engine??? Im renting the AGA tool and want to replace any other necessary items besides the valve cover gaskets and the valve seals themselves...

DavidF 05-25-2016 05:41 AM

When I did the valve stem seals on my '04 545i, I also did the coolant transfer pipe (wasn't yet leaking at the time) as the top of the engine was pretty much removed anyway. I also attempted to unplug my secondary air ports (not present on 550i engine) but was unsuccessful. Luckily the ports cleared themselves once the excess oil was removed from the combustion chamber due to valve stem replacement.

Be forewarned, the valve stem replacement is very time consuming and a back wrecking job. Allow about 30 minutes per seal. I think I got it down to 20 minutes per seal, but had to rest in between...I shudder thinking about the task even now.

psam550 05-26-2016 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by JBasco20 (Post 1578784)

Vacuum pump, valve cover and timing cover gaskets

star69me 05-26-2016 07:18 PM

I wish my indy guy would of mentioned the coolant transfer pipe because I would of did mine too rats

Originally Posted by DavidF (Post 1578864)
When I did the valve stem seals on my '04 545i, I also did the coolant transfer pipe (wasn't yet leaking at the time) as the top of the engine was pretty much removed anyway. I also attempted to unplug my secondary air ports (not present on 550i engine) but was unsuccessful. Luckily the ports cleared themselves once the excess oil was removed from the combustion chamber due to valve stem replacement.

Be forewarned, the valve stem replacement is very time consuming and a back wrecking job. Allow about 30 minutes per seal. I think I got it down to 20 minutes per seal, but had to rest in between...I shudder thinking about the task even now.

Pitster 03-03-2017 06:26 AM

What did you guys torque the bearing caps for the cams after removing the AGA tool? Not and easy torque setting to find for me for some reason.

Gee_115 11-17-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DavidF (Post 1578864)

Did you do this at home or in a shop. If at home did you use an air compressor? Can you explain that part?