E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N54 - HPFP Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

I had the software updated from am open campaign discovered when I brought my car in for it's 1st oil change. 2 weeks later I had to have three injectors replaced. Been great until a few weeks ago when I brought it in for an oil change (2nd oil change) and was then advised I needed a new fuel pump, again an open campaign. A week after the fuel pump I got the dreaded "engine malfunction-reduced power" message as I was stopped at a toll booth. Dropped it off at the dealer that evening, Monday 2/28. They called me the next day, 3/1, that my car was ready. I headed over, picked it up, and the limp mode came back - never even got it out of the lot! Oddly, no lights or errors this time. They advised last Friday, 3/4, after extensive diagnostics that they have no idea what is going on, and that BMWNA advised them to pull both turbos and check from there. They also said they need to lift the engine to check some type of rods underneath - at the direction of BMWNA. They are supposed to call me tomorrow, 3/11, with an update.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that ...that sounds serious. I wonder what it is - waste gates?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

They called me this evening - replaced both turbos - I will be able to pick up the car tomorrow. I'll get more details when I pick it up. Side note - Michael (Acute Performance) advised that my Bilstien B8's should be delivered tomorrow
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Just had mine replaced via the campaign. I had 57,000 miles on my original pump and it was working great.

I'm not too sure how I feel about how well it runs at the moment - I hope it just needs to re-learn some settings before it feels as good as it did before.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

haha got my update but had a vishnu procede in. They swap my fuel pump for the recall. I pull out of parking lot, misfire all cylinders. Go back reflash it. misfire again! I said injectors are shot, instead, he swaps out all my spark plugs and car rides great! LOL fuckin fuel pump is working correctly now probably needed to replace the injectors now since the fuel pump workscorrectly. Spark plugs shot already at 30,000 miles UN believable.

I should of not done the recall car ran GREAT before I went and did it. There new flash update fucked everything up!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corey
They called me this evening - replaced both turbos - I will be able to pick up the car tomorrow. I'll get more details when I pick it up. Side note - Michael (Acute Performance) advised that my Bilstien B8's should be delivered tomorrow
Wow that is quick. I guess for once it pays off to live in NJ where the parts depot is (j/k). I am curious about the details.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

They had my car for 2 weeks - that's quick?

I'm about to head out to pick her up - can't wait. I actually couldn't sleep, thinking about getting my car back and getting out of the 328 loaner
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

It ended up being the waste gate and they replaced both turbo units. They also re-flashed the ECU to current and then applied the current Dinan S2 tune. There was no mention of the HPFP or anything related to it - too bad I can't change the title of the thread.

I did have the rattle in the past, but when I brought it in for service on it some time ago I was told it was a loose heat shield somewhere - yet they couldn't locate or hear it. I'm 99% sure that was the waste gate rattle as it is not present anymore.

After not having it for almost 2 weeks, then getting it back, it is so apparent how much of a thrill it is to drive our cars
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by corey
It ended up being the waste gate and they replaced both turbo units. They also re-flashed the ECU to current and then applied the current Dinan S2 tune. There was no mention of the HPFP or anything related to it - too bad I can't change the title of the thread.

I did have the rattle in the past, but when I brought it in for service on it some time ago I was told it was a loose heat shield somewhere - yet they couldn't locate or hear it. I'm 99% sure that was the waste gate rattle as it is not present anymore.

After not having it for almost 2 weeks, then getting it back, it is so apparent how much of a thrill it is to drive our cars

Well then, I've been waiting for a Spec.Order part for 2 weeks now ... time to call the SA. congrats on getting the problem "solved".