5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   N52 Oil Filter Housing LEAK - REPLACED Gasket and still leak?! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/n52-oil-filter-housing-leak-replaced-gasket-still-leak-137904/)

DC5Series 04-22-2014 11:29 AM

N52 Oil Filter Housing LEAK - REPLACED Gasket and still leak?!

Hi guys,

Over the weekend I replaced my Oil Filter Housing Gasket (DIY) on my 08 528i as per BMW quoting me $950 for them to do it. I bought the gasket online installed it Friday. However, the leak still exists and I was certain it was the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. :cry:
Below is a picture of where the oil is pooling up. If it's not the housing gasket, what could be the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached picture below

imgur: the simple image sharer

**Update**
Oil Filter Cooler Housing Gasket replaced and absolutely zero sign of any oil leakage. For those replacing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket make sure to buy the Oil Filter Cooler Gasket as well (both are like $15). The Cooler gasket is easy as shit to replace and was most likely the cause of my issue. If you're unsure, start with the cooler gasket first! For those interested in pics just say the word and I'll post what I have.

**Update 2**
It's been a week. Still no signs of any leakage :). Definitely was the oil filter cooler gasket causing the problem and not the oil filter housing gasket, but, if you're in there just do both.

3xv 04-22-2014 01:14 PM

I had the same oil pooling in the same area in your picture when I took ownership of a used 2007 530i with an N52 engine and 77600mi. on the odo. I replaced both oil cooler to oil filter housing gasket and oil filter housing to engine block gasket and the leak has ceased.

Did you replace both gaskets indicated above? Did you clean the gasket "seat"/groove where the gasket sits into the housing?

If the answer is no to either one of these questions then these might be the source(s) of your leak.

Good luck and I hope you will be able to resolve your issue.

twh 04-22-2014 03:42 PM

I've had oil in that same place from a crimped o-ring in the oil filter housing. I'd try that first since it is easy to get to.

DC5Series 04-22-2014 03:53 PM

Thanks gents... It may also be from further intense searching the Oil Coolant Housing gasket as well.. Not to mention, the oil seems to spray all over the fricken engine bay including the bottom of the hood. Maybe it's time to take the hood off and setup a GoPro to figure out what the heck is going on?

3xv 04-23-2014 03:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I second what TWH recommended checking the oil filter cap o-ring since doing this is the easiest to do first.

If you did not replace the oil cooler to oil filter housing gasket then it is a high probability that the oil leak is coming from that area.

No need for the gopro. The oil cooler gasket is easy to get to and replace compared to the oil filter housing gasket. The oil cooler gasket is inexpensive too. Just replace it if you haven't done it. Just clean the groove that the gasket sits in prior to installation.

These are the gaskets that were replaced and the broken bolt was a coincidental finding when I was cleaning the area around the valve cover. The bolt has no indication of having been tampered with :/.

The split in the gasket was my fault from removing it from the housing.
Attachment 157097
Attachment 157098

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

tonyb635 04-23-2014 03:45 AM

Ah, I also had same problem and changed the O ring a couple times then purchased a new cap. Nothing seemed to work. I finally changed the housing gasket as mentioned above. I actually changed only the front one and not the one that sits on the engine block. On my N54 it took me about one hour. No more annoying leaking oil!

rt2jesus 04-23-2014 09:37 AM

That oil leak should come from an oil cooler gasket for sure. I replaced last weekend and see no more leak in there.

DC5Series 04-23-2014 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3xv (Post 1537257)
I second what TWH recommended checking the oil filter cap o-ring since doing this is the easiest to do first.

If you did not replace the oil cooler to oil filter housing gasket then it is a high probability that the oil leak is coming from that area.

No need for the gopro. The oil cooler gasket is easy to get to and replace compared to the oil filter housing gasket. The oil cooler gasket is inexpensive too. Just replace it if you haven't done it. Just clean the groove that the gasket sits in prior to installation.

These are the gaskets that were replaced and the broken bolt was a coincidental finding when I was cleaning the area around the valve cover. The bolt has no indication of having been tampered with :/.

The split in the gasket was my fault from removing it from the housing.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ps6ce77b8e.png
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ps62a4cb51.png

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Seems the general consensus on multiple forums is indeed the Oil Filter Cooler Housing Gasket ($27 CAD from Stealership, $14USD from BavAuto) BMW Part #: 11 42 7 525 335

Once I buy the part and install I will report back with findings. I'm just wondering how the oil generously squirts all over the damn place.

Link to BavAutoWelcome to bavauto.com | Gasket - Oil Filter Housing to Oil Cooler

code37 04-24-2014 10:22 AM

Keep us posted! take lots of photos before during and after!

tonyb635 04-24-2014 01:24 PM

Theire are two gaskets and I only replace the one. I also replaced the small o rings on the oil lines that come up from the bottom. A couple other possibilities could be the o ring on the cap and that you know where it goes or possible a cracked cap