E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MY08 550i Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I had posted a while back, I'm looking for a new 550i with ZSP, etc., and a MT. I'm considering either MY08 or ordering a MY09. Many of you were encouraging me to go for it and that your experiences with your cars has been good. Appreciate those responses.

Now it looks like no change at all in MY09 5ers (esp no new iDrive) and that means it makes sense for me look for what's on the lots. But, of course, not a lot of MT 550s out there. So, the big question is do I consider SAT?

I'd like to hear responses from those who have SAT and whether or not you wish you had chosen the MT. And vice versa; MT folks who wish for the SAT.

I think I could go either way, but there's no turning back. I'm worried that I'd miss a MT.

Tough decision for me (and I plan on keeping this car for the long haul.)
Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I personally think SAT is a must have, although I chose to go with XM rather than Sirius and install the XM Sportscaster in the dash pocket on my 5er (I don't have NAV so there's a little pocket below the radio).

As for MT, I prefer auto in a comfortable sedan. Leave the MT to the sports cars (I have the 6-speed MT in my Z4).
Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
AlB
Senior Members

From all that I read, everyone is very happy with the SAT. It is, however, and will remain an automatic. If it is more important to you to row your own gears and not care about a split second auto upshift, then I would go with a manual. If you are looking for a slushbox, you can't go wrong with the SAT. My last 6 cars have been manuals, but that is because I enjoy the driver involvement. It really comes down to personal choice. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlB' post='664178' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:01 PM
From all that I read, everyone is very happy with the SAT. It is, however, and will remain an automatic. If it is more important to you to row your own gears and not care about a split second auto upshift, then I would go with a manual. If you are looking for a slushbox, you can't go wrong with the SAT. My last 6 cars have been manuals, but that is because I enjoy the driver involvement. It really comes down to personal choice. Good luck with your decision.
As a Sport Auto owner of a new 08 550i with ZSP I'll chime in - and I'll preface this by saying I have owned MANY MT cars over the years and an E46 M3 with SMG II as well.

For ME, the SAT is the perfect solution to my ever evolving driving needs through the week. During the week-days when I am tired in the mornings and stuck in traffic, I can put it in D or SD and be perfectly content to enjoy the lux/sport aspect of my car.

Weekends, when I am more relaxed, have more road and I'm feeling a bit more spirited -- I'll go into manual mode with the paddles or shift knob and full sport. The SAT throttle blips as well -- which I LOVE!

FOR ME, this is the best of both worlds..I do not miss the MT at all. That said, I understand and respect those that still like to row their own gears

PS -- keep trying to test drive both yourself. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what us posters say!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

The SAT is very good but it's no MT. At then end of the day it shifts for you. I prefer the MT. Always the perfect gear.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlB' post='664178' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it's so, so subjective and really useless to probably even ask. I prefer a MT for those reasons you mention. My one car (of the last 4) that was a slushbox always ended up frustrating me on back roads with no traffic. And I also found myself being a sloth drinking coffee with one hand as if I was driving a comfy mobile reading chair. Driving for me is more about engagement with the vehicle (and I'm even worrying now that the 550 might be too heavy a car.)

I think I've answered my own question But I do want to hear some other opinions primarily because I've heard good things about this particular SAT as an auto.

Midwest: I live in a traffic hell (LA) but I don't commute. I get to choose the times (for the most part) when traffic is less dense. I live next to the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and can get away from it all pretty quickly. But I'm going to test drive one with SAT this week, just to experience it. And then think a bit further about it. Congrats on your new purchase!

p.s., wasupdu: I was referring to the BMW Sports Auto Transmission, not SATellite radio (as you no doubt now figured out); but thanks nonetheless.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by TwistTie' post='664189' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:23 PM
p.s., wasupdu: I was referring to the BMW Sports Auto Transmission, not SATellite radio (as you no doubt now figured out); but thanks nonetheless.

LOL....I guess I'm kinda slow. I should've figured it out from the context....I guess I have nothing to add then
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Members

easy choice for me. this is my daily driver. I commute in DC traffic. = Automatic
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Members

Get the SAT. I've only owned MT's prior to buying my '08 535i with SAT and I thought I'd never own an automatic. I had MT's on my last 2 cars, both 540i's and BMW makes great manual transmissions. But, I really love the SAT and will never go back to a manual. The paddles make it easier to shift than a stick and it's a lot easier in commute traffic.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I owned manauls exclusively until my SMG 545i in 2004. My 2008 is a SAT because I loved the SMG so much that it was the closest thing I could get to it with that MY.

My SAT never shifts for me (except at redline) since I always, and I mean always, drive it in manual sport mode. It shifts like lightning and feels very direct (no slush.) My only complaint is the "sponginess" in the pedal when first starting out. This is something you end up getting used to (and adjusting to) but I also think you can cure it with a sprintbooster.

The MT is fine if you end up going that way but I have to mention one additional thing that may help you decide -- if you drive in traffic often, obviously with the SAT your left foot will get a break but more importantly, you'll be able to get the stop-and-go feature of the cruise control if you choose the SAT. In traffic, active cruise with stop-and-go is a fantastic feature!

Good luck with your decision and when you drive the SAT, make sure you test it in manual sport mode!

Quick Reply: MY08 550i Owners