E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My ultimate nightmare BMW - any advice greatly appreciated !

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Call BMW North America, make noise, LOTS of it, and DON'T back down, they should DEFINITELY replace this!! They lemoned my 2008 X5 last year over issues that they didn't originally see as a safety issue, and it was OUT of the warranty period too! Once explained to them accurately, they bought it back, reimbursed me for my mods, and even the Mercury aftermarket warranty I had purchased for the car too! Mainly, just be firm with them, and they will step up! Good Luck with it!
Lemon laws are different by state. CA is probably the most liberal and easiest to get your car lemoned. That is why when you see dealers selling cars with branded titles over 90% of them came from CA. I doubt you will have much luck here. I would try another dealer ASAP. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Members

To me there is only 2 things, the brake sensor (on pedal) or the transmission sensor (the shift selector), because if you don't push brake pedal it don't start (at least all the BMWs i know), or if the ECU THINK the transmission is not on P or N position. There will be no error anywhere. I think there is no other way that the engine don't crank, without errors.

To check the first one, if the problem occur again, check if the brake lights turn on (with ignition on). This happen a time ago with a costumer with other vehicle, it can be the same here....

Its an idea only.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

I would also call a lemon law lawyer!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

Thank you guys for all your support and your responses. I have owned many different cars in the past (most of them BMWs, also Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc.) and this is the worst experience ever! And I do not mean that the car is defective, because all cars break. What I mean is the way the problem is handled by the dealer and Customer Relations of BMW NA LLC. It is an absolute nightmare! Anyhow, right now I am looking for another new or used car which would be dependable. I cannot afford loosing my job because of a BMW which would not start and cannot be repaired while still under factory warranty. I will have to carry 2 car payments, but I dont know what else I can do - the dealer does not have a loaner, BMW NA LLC will not pay for a rental car and I have to go to work on Monday. Any thougts ?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Contributors

You should have this discussion with the Dealer General Manager and BMWNA immediately. If your demands are with a service adviser - that might not be getting the right level of attention. Besides, it sounds like their service department is horribly below BMW standards and they might be trying to shield themselves from the "boss"!

If the service issues JUST SINCE NOVEMBER are accurate - someone may have sold you a "lemon". Have you ever had the selling dealer pull the warranty and maintenance records for your car? It's really really really important that you secure a print out of that record. Just in case you need to take the long road to secure a settlement.

If you are car-less and your dealer is unable or unwilling to provide replacement transportation have you checked your own auto insurance coverage for rental car reimbursement.?

After all is settled you can always go the small claims route for the minor expenses.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Exchange your car for a loaner. Let them keep your car for a few days to duplicate the problem. There could try starting it twice a day: morning and afternoon.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

No loaners...wow! Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Did they check or replace the starter/solenoid? This will cause the exact same symptoms you are having.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

There is hope. By posting my problem on BMW forums I learned that there are a few relatively common defects which can give you no start and no diagnostic fault condition. Faulty breake pedal sensor, gear selector and the start button are the main suspects. The main and keyfob batteries were replaced recently. I am still not sure if a faulty starter/selenoid or battery cable could do it. Anyhow, I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and see if they could replace some of the components even if there is no fault code - they didnt want to do it in the past. Thank you again for all the advice and pearls of wisdom !
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Give 'em hell and good luck!

Quick Reply: My ultimate nightmare BMW - any advice greatly appreciated !